TravelTalkOnline

Situation on French side still tense

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Situation on French side still tense - 11/09/2021 01:43 PM

Link

Link #2

It looks like the Dutch side police are trying to stop the border closures and the gendarmes are doing nothing??
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Situation on French side still tense - 11/09/2021 02:13 PM

Kudos to Cedrick... someone has to stand up for the people of SXM
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Situation on French side still tense - 11/09/2021 02:22 PM

Link #2 kinda says it all....."We did not see any Gendarmes"
Posted By: Warden

Re: Situation on French side still tense - 11/09/2021 02:36 PM

We are staying in Jordon Village and on morning walk to the Beach Copecuy Dany told us road blocked again in Sandy ground.
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: Situation on French side still tense - 11/09/2021 02:59 PM

None of the blockages are at the border. Dutch can't do anything.
Posted By: stjames

Re: Situation on French side still tense - 11/09/2021 03:44 PM

Gendarmes were stationed at the roundabouts in Marigot yesterday.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Situation on French side still tense - 11/09/2021 03:51 PM

This situation does nothing but hinder tourism.
Posted By: dvesc

Re: Situation on French side still tense - 11/09/2021 04:03 PM

Has there been a point when all roads to the French side have been blocked at once, or is there typically some way to get across? We don't arrive for about five weeks, but I'm curious if we'll just need to get creative with our navigating, or if it's possible we won't actually be able to get to where we're staying in Orient (or back to the airport when we leave).

Re: Situation on French side still tense - 11/09/2021 04:10 PM

At one time earlier in the year when a protest was taking place it was reported all routes were blocked.

Re: Situation on French side still tense - 11/09/2021 04:34 PM

In recent years, it seems a recurring theme.

Re: Situation on French side still tense - 11/09/2021 04:38 PM

Schools closed in Orleans today - they can't get to school.

http://www.lepelican-journal.com/sa...3PK72p7frfIaShSdTfqutSMyoNwujNmq440RpFmc
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Situation on French side still tense - 11/09/2021 05:50 PM

That's just going too far!
Posted By: SXMMD

Re: Situation on French side still tense - 11/09/2021 06:48 PM

We tried 3 different routes, two days in a row, to go from Dawn Beach to Orient Beach and all were blocked. One with burning tires, one with piles of debris and one partially blocked where two masked men demanded money too pass. I heard that the French police were using drones to locate the blockades where masked men were demanding money and running them off, but, leaving the roads blocked. I also heard that one of these drones was shot down.

Attached picture C38A4DAF-F8CE-4679-89C5-8921A0DFD9E6.jpeg
Attached picture F0551D17-84A0-4C82-923B-538D5A11D7D6.jpeg
Posted By: mdldgl

Re: Situation on French side still tense - 11/09/2021 07:17 PM

So sad. I respect the rights of the people to protest the bad conditions, I just wish they were doing it in front of government buildings. Between Zeka, Irma and Covid there has been much economic and social distress the last 6-8 years. I’m arriving Saturday for our 12th visit in the last 24 years. Bringing 3 first timers…. This is not the experience I wanted them to enjoy.

Re: Situation on French side still tense - 11/09/2021 07:28 PM

I just hope this doesn't escalate into more than extortion of tourists (and now residents)....once money for safe passage is involved the next step could be ugly. They should have addressed this on day one and dealt with it.

Re: Situation on French side still tense - 11/09/2021 09:13 PM

Masked men demanding money, burning tires polluting the air and shooting down drones. What's with these people on our friendly island?
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Situation on French side still tense - 11/10/2021 12:56 AM

We arrive next Thursday, and are spending two days on the French side before we check into our timeshare at La Vista Beach. I'm keeping track of the situation, and hope we can safely get to GCBC. Not sure what our alternative would be.

Re: Situation on French side still tense - 11/10/2021 01:26 AM

Get a 2 day package at La Vista or one of the other timeshare resorts in that area.
Posted By: AUCspouse

Re: Situation on French side still tense - 11/10/2021 09:46 AM

We drove from the Dutch side to Grand Case yesterday (Tuesday), via the causeway. Situation normal -- no problems whatsoever, other than somewhat slow traffic.

Re: Situation on French side still tense - 11/10/2021 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
Masked men demanding money,

So they will wear masks to rob you but protest, among other things, against wearing masks
Posted By: candj

Re: Situation on French side still tense - 11/10/2021 11:45 AM

In the Daily Herald 11/10/21, the Minister of Tourism is recommending that people stay on the Dutch side and not try to cross over.
https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islands/tourists-urged-to-stay-on-dutch-side

Re: Situation on French side still tense - 11/10/2021 11:50 AM

Orleans has been opened by the Gendarmes this morning

Re: Situation on French side still tense - 11/10/2021 02:33 PM

Thanks Bill, do you know anyone that has driven through it from Pyster Pond to Orient?

Re: Situation on French side still tense - 11/10/2021 02:38 PM

Seen several videos of the open road. Believe my friends in Oyster Pond made the trek today.

Re: Situation on French side still tense - 11/10/2021 04:38 PM

👍🏻
Posted By: Need island time

Re: Situation on French side still tense - 11/10/2021 09:03 PM

We went thru Orleans at 12:30 today from oyster pond with open roads. No problems, everything clear.

Re: Situation on French side still tense - 11/10/2021 09:26 PM

Good to here that

Re: Situation on French side still tense - 11/10/2021 10:05 PM

Actually, they didn't go today and are so upset they will stay home until their flight. Took them 3 hours to get OB to Oyster Pond.

Re: Situation on French side still tense - 11/10/2021 10:34 PM

Thanks for the update. Arriving Saturday. This makes me feel much better.
Posted By: Need island time

Re: Situation on French side still tense - 11/10/2021 11:13 PM

After the rain stopped, we decided our days were running short! It took us about 10 minutes to drive to OB, after 1hour & 30 minutes ( leaving at 7:05 )yesterday. Took us 15 minutes to get home because we stopped at the Chinese market. So today we spent 25 minutes in the car. Yesterday we spent 4 & 1/2 hours in the car. Big difference! No we don’t want to leave but Saturday is coming fast & not everyone may know this but there is no beach in Tennessee.
Posted By: RickandJulie

Re: Situation on French side still tense - 11/11/2021 12:25 AM

We've got a trip planned for February staying on the French side. We are bringing 2 friends with us who are first time island visitors. We (and our friends) have been following the events and getting more and more discouraged about what may be occurring during our stay. This is not the experience we wanted them to have.

I guess we are reaching the point where we have to wonder if it's even worth it anymore. We've been coming to the island since the late 90's, but it seems like nowadays every trip we plan is filled with anxiety about what will be going on this time. It's not just the protests. We've had issues with our cars being vandalized, scooters running us off the road, seaweed, a lack of progress on French side cleanup since Irma, airline cancellations, airport congestion, etc.. You really start to say: Maybe it's time to explore another Caribbean island.

Just frustrating..............................

Re: Situation on French side still tense - 11/11/2021 01:25 AM

RickandJulie--I have to say that staying on the French side seems to be really a crapshoot lately. Dutch side, not as much..
Posted By: Mjc

Re: Situation on French side still tense - 11/11/2021 01:46 AM

We just drove through French quarters and had no issue it is open.

Re: Situation on French side still tense - 11/11/2021 02:08 AM

👏👏👏
Posted By: PKwx

Re: Situation on French side still tense - 11/11/2021 03:09 AM

News today is different then reality. Please don’t confuse the two. The cheap shot by the St Maarten tourism office was a blatant attempt to scare people to keep money on the Dutch side using fear. How much damage did that do for both sides of the island. The people in Orleans had real concerns and they got the government’s attention. Good for them! To bad some bad actors got involved. No different then here in the USA in our protests. Wow a few days of inconvenience and we have our panties in a bunch. Back to normal and do hope their concerns are met, and they get their police station and post office too.

Re: Situation on French side still tense - 11/11/2021 02:08 PM

I do not at ALL agree with your assessment of the past few days. However, according to the story in the DH today, they are going to get their police station and post office and several other items. LINK

More information in this link. Link

Hopefully things will calm down now. Until next time.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline