TravelTalkOnline

Snorkeling/Swimming Simpson Bay

Posted By: North Channel Girl

Snorkeling/Swimming Simpson Bay - 04/05/2022 02:08 PM

We are going to La Vista and Flamingo Beach Resort soon for 2 weeks. Just wondering what the swimming and snorkeling is like in front of these resorts or close by.
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Snorkeling/Swimming Simpson Bay - 04/05/2022 02:21 PM

Lots of rocks in front of La Vista. I've seen people swimming there, but not often. Flamingo has a beach where it's easier to get in and out of the water.
Posted By: SandS

Re: Snorkeling/Swimming Simpson Bay - 04/05/2022 02:49 PM

When we were there in February groups would kayak in & then swim out & snorkel. They would swim to the rocks behind SRR’s beach bar.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Snorkeling/Swimming Simpson Bay - 04/05/2022 03:07 PM

Pretty good snorkeling on the shared Flamingo/SSBR beach and nice a swiming beach..
Posted By: Bluesfan

Re: Snorkeling/Swimming Simpson Bay - 04/05/2022 05:17 PM

Snorkeling good in both places. There are 2 entry areas between coral near LaVista. Several coral/rock piles beyond coral. Surf can be rough, be careful. According to a friend snorkeling along the jetty on Simpson Bay side of Flamingo is good. Again, watch for strong current and surf. My friend was washed up on the rocks and had bad scrapes. Had to be helped back to shore.
Posted By: bobbarb

Re: Snorkeling/Swimming Simpson Bay - 04/06/2022 01:00 AM

The snorkeling along around the rocks around SBR is good but you have to go out to the furthest set of rocks for the best chance to see the fish. There is are several areas away from the exposed rocks that are also good but more in open water between the rocks between Flamingo and SBR. There are some rock formations out there you will see several species of coral, sea fans and sponges along with fish out there.
I have been snorkeling there for the past 15 years for at least 2 hours a day as long as the water is clear and not churned up. If you go out in the open waters you will see several truck frames along with conch shells that fisherman dropped after they took the meat. The shells are large and plentiful but are beat up and must have been the for a long time.
I would also suggest you be careful as boats go by there at times. I have seen almost the tropical fish there and I posted a number of pictures on our November trip.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline