TravelTalkOnline

Day 3

Posted By: DICKG

Day 3 - 05/13/2022 12:18 PM

I got up early let Kathy sleep it’s her birthday went to the French bakery had my fix of a croissant came back to find kathy awake due to the fact everybody was sending birthday wishes. We had breakfast and headed to Marigot to make reservations at Tropicana on the way we stopped at Bae Rouge my favorite beach what a shame we can’t use it almost no one goes there anymore . Drove around Marigot and got depressed around the marina what many years ago was a busy place is now almost deserted boarded up buildings cars everywhere mostly junks with flat tires, I know they have said there are going to clean it up I can’t see how, a lot of high end shops have moved to the Dutch side . We came back to Mullet Beach had lunch and swam water was real nice, I must say the driving habits of the locals has not changed it very exciting driving it gets the blood flowing. Back at El Zafiro they were having a soft opening of the Sky Deck complimentary tasters and a very good band Latin Sugar so we stayed for dinner and enjoyed the dancing ended the night with Bailey’s
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Day 3 - 05/13/2022 01:44 PM

Yes. Mullet was nice yesterday. Belated birthday wishes to Kathy. So you bagged Tropicana. What a shame as once it was a great place to go.
Posted By: BenP

Re: Day 3 - 05/13/2022 03:05 PM

I actually had lunch at Tropicana for the first time on Wednesday and had a great experience! Carol from La Casa Del Habano, two doors down, had recommended them for lunch and we were grateful for that. I had the tuna/red snapper tartar with fries with the house cote du Rhône and was very happy. Sitting on their back deck enjoying the marina view and a fresh lunch with my wife was a perfect first introduction to a new restaurant for me.
Posted By: pat

Re: Day 3 - 05/13/2022 03:37 PM

Dick,

Glad you made it and your trip ie going relatively well. Sad to see so many areas such as the Marina on the French side and Front Street on the Dutch side still struggling to return to their past glories. They say time is a great healer - I hope for their sakes this is so.

Happy birthday to your bride!
Posted By: FatCat04

Re: Day 3 - 05/13/2022 11:03 PM

We were at Tropicana in Feb for lunch and plan to go back next month. Great meal as usual. The sole is just divine. We also plan a lunch at Be Kool which was so packed in Feb it looked like it was bursting at the seams. Marina looks rough but there is still some shopping there and quite a few restaurants. It seemed perfectly safe during the daytime. I remember how lovely it was from years past. I figure we need to patronize what is loyal and still there otherwise it will never recover.
Posted By: cruzer

Re: Day 3 - 05/13/2022 11:23 PM

If you're planning Be Kool next month, they say they are closed until August. Yeah, I know, bummer. We were hoping to do them this trip.
Posted By: FatCat04

Re: Day 3 - 05/13/2022 11:46 PM

Ah boo, I hadn't checked the FB page in a month.. wow May, June, and July. Oh well.. next Winter then. We won't go hungry 😉
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Day 3 - 05/14/2022 01:33 AM

I just can't bring myself to the Marina let alone Marigot for dinner at night as much as I used to love dinner at tropicana and others at the Marina. I'll stick to the Dutch side for my personal safety factor. I know I'll take sh## from those who enjoy the French side but I have to feel comfortable. It's my own comfort level that drives me.
Posted By: jollymonsrv

Re: Day 3 - 05/14/2022 12:50 PM

Unfortunately our only ventures to the Marigot Marina are in daylight also. The parking lot guy shaking you down to “ watch” your car and crime in area aren’t worth the adventure
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Day 3 - 05/14/2022 01:49 PM

I'm not sure THE parking lot guy is still there, but there are lots of seedy elements around, so we don't go to the Marigot Marina at night either.
Posted By: Uksimonusa

Re: Day 3 - 05/14/2022 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
I'm not sure THE parking lot guy is still there, but there are lots of seedy elements around, so we don't go to the Marigot Marina at night either.

he was there in November
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline