TravelTalkOnline

Welcome to hurricane season!!

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Welcome to hurricane season!! - 06/01/2022 06:48 PM

Link

This shouldn't involve SXM directly, but folks with air scheduled to come through Florida on Friday or Saturday might have a fun time.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Welcome to hurricane season!! - 06/01/2022 08:14 PM

That be us.🀞
Posted By: Whale Tail

Re: Welcome to hurricane season!! - 06/01/2022 08:17 PM

Safe travels Scubaman

Re: Welcome to hurricane season!! - 06/01/2022 09:50 PM

Thanks. Worst case scenario is we have to wait till Saturday but we have our car rental and condo till Saturday.

Re: Welcome to hurricane season!! - 06/01/2022 10:09 PM

I think as of now, Friday should be better than Saturday.

Re: Welcome to hurricane season!! - 06/01/2022 10:11 PM

Always have to have a Plan B and sometimes C when travelling.

Re: Welcome to hurricane season!! - 06/01/2022 10:28 PM

Originally Posted by Whale Tail
Always have to have a Plan B and sometimes C when travelling.

Dat for sure.

Re: Welcome to hurricane season!! - 06/01/2022 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
I think as of now, Friday should be better than Saturday.

I'm thinking the same. 🀞

Re: Welcome to hurricane season!! - 06/02/2022 12:08 AM

Let us know how things go..
Posted By: jenniboston

Re: Welcome to hurricane season!! - 06/02/2022 12:52 AM

My first hurricane season in South Florida. Here we go!

Re: Welcome to hurricane season!! - 06/02/2022 01:12 AM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Let us know how things go..

Will do. Covid test tomorrow. 🀞
Posted By: ARC

Re: Welcome to hurricane season!! - 06/02/2022 01:44 AM

Oh yea, let’s let the hype begin! News media can’t wait. They probably have everyone in Florida wiping out the stores.😁😁😁
Posted By: o2bnsxm

Re: Welcome to hurricane season!! - 06/02/2022 10:35 AM

Yes!! Hurricane Season !! I have relatives that are still doing repairs, fighting with Insurance companies, and one still not living in her house due to Ida. Now we have another Hurricane season on us. Pay our house Insurance, flood Insurance, and hope for the best- that's about all we can do.
Posted By: irina

Re: Welcome to hurricane season!! - 06/02/2022 05:25 PM

This reminds me of the Snow storms in NYC. Roker would call it Snocopalypse. It would snow an inch.
Posted By: FatCat04

Re: Welcome to hurricane season!! - 06/03/2022 02:30 PM

Man, the season starts June 1. Mother Nature ain't wasting no time this year!!
Posted By: o2bnsxm

Re: Welcome to hurricane season!! - 06/03/2022 10:33 PM

Wasn't able to edit my post above, but I pray for our friends and neighbors in Florida who are bracing for the arrival of the first storm of the season. Hoping and Praying for minimal impact for y'all. God Bless

Re: Welcome to hurricane season!! - 06/03/2022 11:06 PM

We don't expect much here in Central Florida, other than a couple of inches of rain. South Florida will have a whole lot more than that, but still, rain effects will probably be the worst. And hopefully not too many people will be stupid enough to drive through standing water!!

Re: Welcome to hurricane season!! - 06/04/2022 12:24 AM

Just want the planes to fly. 🀞

Re: Welcome to hurricane season!! - 06/04/2022 12:53 PM

Early flight from Miami is listed as on an hour delay now. Second one is listed as on time at 12:30, but of course there is plenty of time to go before then.

Re: Welcome to hurricane season!! - 06/04/2022 02:23 PM

Yes. As soon as it's in the air we are heading to airport. We will be down to hour and half connection time but are on row 10 with GE. It'll be a road race In MIA.

Re: Welcome to hurricane season!! - 06/04/2022 04:47 PM

Good luck!! Both Miami flights are going to take off, second one a few minutes late, awaiting takeoff.

Re: Welcome to hurricane season!! - 06/05/2022 03:15 AM

We are spending the night in Miami. AA put us up in the Hilton Garden Inn and gave us 48.00 in food vouchers that we spent for dinner already. We are now on the Miami to Seattle flight leaving at 7:47 tomorrow night.

Re: Welcome to hurricane season!! - 06/05/2022 12:48 PM

$48 each or altogether? Either way, not nearly enough for a 24 hour delay.

Re: Welcome to hurricane season!! - 06/05/2022 01:00 PM

Altogether. Better than nothing.

Re: Welcome to hurricane season!! - 06/05/2022 01:02 PM

Yeah, I guess!!
Posted By: CaribbeanDreams

Re: Welcome to hurricane season!! - 06/05/2022 06:11 PM

Was able to get out of Miami yesterday
Flew AA from MIA to Toronto via Washington
Was expecting to be stranded somewhere
Shocked when I arrived Toronto and even on time

Re: Welcome to hurricane season!! - 06/05/2022 07:48 PM

Congrats! You should play the lottery!!
Posted By: CanuckTravlr

Re: Welcome to hurricane season!! - 06/06/2022 12:50 PM

I'm certainly glad everything went so smoothly. I'm also curious why you put yourself through that, unless maybe your days are somehow restricted due to work or something, and the schedules work better for you?

We always fly direct to/from SXM and Toronto on WestJet to avoid all the extra time and hassles of multiple flights/connections. It also eliminates the need to go through US Customs and Immigration and then have to do it again upon arrival in Canada. Fortunately, we are retired and can pick our dates for travel. So much simpler.

Re: Welcome to hurricane season!! - 06/06/2022 01:32 PM

I agree with you on a direct flight to SXM versus a flight with connections. We have used WestJet out of Toronto but lately have been using Air Transat direct, it all depends on the day of the week they fly out of YYZ. Rather than book multiple flights to get there for our first day of our reservation we will arrive earlier on a direct flight and book a short stay at a different resort until our main resort is available. Same applies for leaving as we have done for our 2023 Spring visit. With both of us being retired we are pretty flexible for travelling. Getting the resort for the time you want is more of a problem than flights. We are already thinking of our reservation for the Spring of 2024.
Posted By: CaribbeanDreams

Re: Welcome to hurricane season!! - 06/06/2022 06:39 PM

When I booked it was almost 200 cheaper per person. We saved 400. I'm currently pursuing my MBA and it's got me close to broke costing little over 5000 every three months.
I would have preferred to fly direct too.
Posted By: CanuckTravlr

Re: Welcome to hurricane season!! - 06/06/2022 08:32 PM

Thanks for the courtesy of the reply. OK, I get it. Different stages in life. For me the time saved and convenience is worth more than the $400, but when you are still in school, it's a whole different ball game! I suspected it might be something like that. I got my MBA almost 50 years ago! Good luck on your studies.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: Welcome to hurricane season!! - 06/07/2022 05:09 PM

Thankfully the storm did not develop, It is just the beginning of hurricane season so prepare, check that your shutters are working properly and have two week supply of food just in case.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline