TravelTalkOnline

Shopping question - Boardwalk

Posted By: diver67

Shopping question - Boardwalk - 06/23/2022 07:35 PM

First, we have been a few times in the past, so we know some of what to expect. But we do not shop a lot and do not know much about days of week or post-Irma. Thus my question so I can plan days for us in late July. Thanks in advance!

If my wife wants one day to go look at shops in Philipsburg, along the boardwalk - are things open on the weekend the same or would Sunday be mostly closed? I know having a ship in port means more people, but if one is not in port, does that mean a lot of places would be closed that day?

(I see one ship in on the 24th which is a Sunday and wondering if this might be a good day to go?)
Posted By: dkupersmith

Re: Shopping question - Boardwalk - 06/23/2022 07:56 PM

There are very few ships this season. I've seen only One this week. Go any weekday. Don't depend on all the shops opening for a single ship.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Shopping question - Boardwalk - 06/23/2022 08:46 PM

But best if a ship is in. Check the port schedule to see what weekdays one is in.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Shopping question - Boardwalk - 06/23/2022 11:09 PM

dk--for sure, I was surprised how few ships were in, when we were there. Very unusual, even based on the time of year.
Posted By: dkupersmith

Re: Shopping question - Boardwalk - 06/23/2022 11:45 PM

Carol you are absolutely correct - in high season can be 4-5 in single day but in previous low seasons there were generally 4-5 ships each week this time of year.
I was just talking about this last night with a friend of mine who owns a business on Front St.
I am not familiar with the cruise industry so I can't begin to assume why: Covid still? Fear? Staffing?....
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Shopping question - Boardwalk - 06/23/2022 11:49 PM

dk--I really don't know. Perhaps ships are going to Alaska or Europe, where their return is higher per pax? Don't know.
Posted By: diver67

Re: Shopping question - Boardwalk - 06/24/2022 02:29 AM

Just looking at days I am there, I see one on Wednesday the 20th, two on Thursday the 21st, one on Sunday the 24th, and one on Tuesday the 26th. A couple of those look like smaller ones too. So, most days, none.

So I see someone said do a weekday. I get Sunday being a bad day. But Saturday is not great also? And even a weekday with no ship is not great?
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline