TravelTalkOnline

La Villa Hibiscus

Posted By: mahokid

La Villa Hibiscus - 08/21/2022 12:28 PM

A new restaurant for us and certainly easier to get to since they moved to Cul de Sac in the old Sol E Luna
A absolutely beautiful restaurant, I did notice the upgrade to the open kitchen
I was surprised to see about 5 other tables occupied

We had made a deposit (required) to reserve the Grand tasting menu ($230.00 pp)
We started off with the signature drink and they were well crafted

There is no menu as the chef chooses the menu and the dishes are described as presented

Almost impossible to pick a favorite but we all agreed the smoked tuna which looked like a piece of art (tweezer food)

All the dishes were somewhat complicated with many ingredients

The amuse bouche looked like small dinosaur eggs with a mild horseradish flavor

the next 2 courses featured a lobster salad with a lobster gelee and a sweet poached lobster in a foam, okay we are in culinary heaven

The most beautiful dish of the evening was the smoked tuna with a carrot sorbet

the last fish course was John Dory with a molecular red pepper sphere

veal tenderloin was fork tender and cooked a perfect medium-rare, fresh lemon was shaved tableside along with the jus, my thoughts were that it needed just a bit of salt to bring out the mild flavored meat

A very interesting cheese course was melted goat cheese. No words needed!!

The first of two desserts was different forms of grapes followed by different flavors of fig.

Both were as delicious as they were beautiful

cocktails and wine by the glass were priced accordingly in the $14.00 range, while a little more than the usual, they quality justified the pricing

All dishes were carried under cloche to a tray near table

service was perfectly paced

minor details that most guests would not notice but I would award them any Michelin stars because of the service ( I may expect it is difficult to staff a restaurant of such high caliber)

Service reached across instead of walking around
Women were not served first and cleared first as well
Only one server lifted the cloches and then moved unto the next two plates, in a Michelin restaurant two servers would synchronized the lifting
Our water glasses did become empty
the votive on our table went out and was not relight until asked

the food portions were perfect and we left not over over stuffed and not hungry

They are also open for lunch which is a nice way to try without busting the bank or they do over lower priced degustation menus

our bill for 4 guests was just under a $1000.00 considering we only had a total of 7 drinks and 2 bottles of water

A wonderful evening

Will add remainder of pictures in next tread bc not accepting now

Attached picture Hibiscus Amuse.jpg
Attached picture Hibiscus Lobster 1.jpg
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: La Villa Hibiscus - 08/21/2022 01:06 PM

thanks for the report and the pictures. Each course definitely does look picture-worthy. Unless I win the lottery, this will probably be my only view of the food, but that's ok.. Could you just order off a menu or no? You said there is no menu?
Posted By: cruzer

Re: La Villa Hibiscus - 08/21/2022 02:06 PM

You've piqued my interest in the Grand Tasting Menu despite the quality of service being below that of the food. This is the islands after all. Do they have a wine accompaniment offering to go with the meal? Any idea on the price and number of tastings?

I really appreciate your review. This place is on our radar for sure.

Re: La Villa Hibiscus - 08/21/2022 04:40 PM

Tastings range from 110e to 160e to 230e.

Wine pairings seemed on the high side at 150e for the grand tasting for all courses

you could chose the wine pairing for just the savory courses for I believe 120e

The wine list ranged from the acceptable 65e ish to 5000 for an aged first growth

I'm sure most guests are so impressed with the food that they don't noticed that service is not at the same level
I always thought that besides my writing skills, I would be a pretty good food critic as I was born in the restaurant business and have been fortunate to enjoy great restaurants and can honestly judge a restaurant.
I have also served many food critics including John Mariani, the most respected food critic in the United States
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: La Villa Hibiscus - 08/21/2022 04:49 PM

"minor details that most guests would not notice but I would award them any Michelin stars because of the service "
You would or wouldn't award them a star because of the service?

Re: La Villa Hibiscus - 08/21/2022 04:51 PM

apologies I would not
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline