TravelTalkOnline

Wednesday

Posted By: cruzer

Wednesday - 09/01/2022 02:02 PM

Wednesday was our first full day on the island, and also Marigot Market day, but we got such a late start that all the fish mongers were closed or closing. We did manage to purchase some mangos, star fruit and bananas for future breakfasts.

Breakfast consisted of croissants and a baguette from our bakery run. Off to the market which was pretty sparse, but we managed to buy some abalone shell soup bowls to add to our previous purchases from the lady.

Stopped by Le Gout du Vin to look over their wines for purchase after lunch. As Be Kool was closed our last trip, I wanted to try it out for lunch. A new lunch spot has entered our rotation. We started off with an amuse bouche of pureed broccoli, followed by a duck carpaccio with a balsamic glaze, grilled shrimp on basil risotto, and tuna and mahi tartar with fries and The Rocket (arugula)--all excellent selections. Two cappuccinos and the complimentary banana infused rum topped off the meal.

As we hadn't yet gone to Super-U, there was no food in the room, and Sunset Cafe is closed for dinner for a while. We figured we'd ask Bistrot Caraibes if we could just order 2 apps and maybe a dessert, and Thiebault welcomed us into a mostly full restaurant. We ended up ordering 3 Bellinis, lobster bisque, smoked salmon and creme brulee. We were now fully satisfied and ready to call it a day. I really like these small dinners and plan to do more, always conscious of not taking up valuable table real estate for a lighter meal, even though we did spend $85 (they get us on the booze).

Misc observations:

Hot and humid, Dew points mid to upper 70s. Even though we live in North Texas, our nasty dew points mostly stay in the low 70s. Water temp is 87 (and rising?).

Even thoughA the Dollar is at parity with the Euro, many places charge $1.10/Euro. No big deal really--I just use a credit card, telling them to charge in Euros, and took some Euro Cash from the ATM for smaller purchases.

Be Kool actually filled up for lunch. Bistrot was also pretty full, and as it's probably the bottom of the low season, this bodes well for good restaurants and for us to make reservations for some places.

Attached picture IMG_0466.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0462.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0459.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0458.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0454.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0452.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0451.jpg
Attached picture IMG_0448.jpg
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Wednesday - 09/01/2022 02:36 PM

thanks for the report. Sunset Cafe is closed for hurricane season? Refresh my recollection, where is Be Cool? Marigot Marina?

Would love to see a picture of the abalone shell soup bowls. Do you have other items made out of abalone shells? How intriguing!
Posted By: Biturbo

Re: Wednesday - 09/01/2022 03:36 PM

Sounds like a great start, thanks for sharing. Be Kool always gets good reviews, we wanted to try it in Jan., but some roads were blocked.
Posted By: cruzer

Re: Wednesday - 09/01/2022 04:23 PM

Carol, Be Kool is in the marina, across the water from Tropicana (which appears to be closed for the season). My breakfast spread picture is on an abalone serving tray. I'll take pics of the other items, on island time of course.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Wednesday - 09/01/2022 04:42 PM

cruzer--thanks, I was thinking it was in the Marina. Thanks for the pic of the serving tray. Would be interested to see the rest of them.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline