TravelTalkOnline

Sargassum Update

Posted By: SirRichard

Sargassum Update - 01/16/2023 08:54 PM

I know this has been an ongoing subject matter but does anyone have a current update on the sargassum situation, (less than 3 weeks before we arrive)
ta

meet me at the rock pile I'll be a little boulder there
Posted By: Mikel

Re: Sargassum Update - 01/23/2023 05:11 PM

The easterly winds over the last several days has changed the condition of Dawn Beach considerably. The first photo is from last Tuesday and the second is from this morning. And looking out to sea from our balcony, there is more to come.

Conversely, I was on Great Bay Beach this morning and it had no seaweed.

Attached picture IMG_0226.jpg
Attached picture P1010127.JPG
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Sargassum Update - 01/23/2023 05:19 PM

Wow, that's disgusting. It used to be that Dawn Beach was to be avoided in the summer because of all the sargassum. Now it seems like it's also there in the winter? Awful.

Re: Sargassum Update - 01/23/2023 06:04 PM

How is Orient Beach?
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Sargassum Update - 01/23/2023 06:48 PM

I was going to post this with a couple of other things but this seems more appropriate....this pic was taken a couple of hours ago from Bikini Beach to the north but almost the whole beach is the same...maybe a tad less towards the CO section. There is also a decent amount waiting to arrive.

Attached picture 20230123_124031.jpg
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Sargassum Update - 01/23/2023 07:22 PM

Doesn't look great. Thanks for posting.

Re: Sargassum Update - 01/23/2023 09:30 PM

oh no
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Sargassum Update - 01/23/2023 11:16 PM

I was at Orient Beach yesterday and there was very little sargassum and no smell. But I did see a tractor hidden away, which I presume was used to clear out the aggregate.
Posted By: StMartinFan

Re: Sargassum Update - 01/24/2023 02:49 AM

We were at Orient today and there was a line of sargassum about 2 fee wide along the entire beach and lots more in the water. it was very windy today.
Posted By: Colour1

Re: Sargassum Update - 01/24/2023 11:41 AM

At LA Playa, the beach "boy" Julian has guys rake every day and during the day on the heavy flow days!! We went to another beachfront during our trip, remembered that they raked ( this is before I knew Julian was back on the island since Irma) last year. When we got there, (again, new owners) we asked, why hasn't anyone raked. Was told the beach "boy" hasn't come in yet. He never did. SO! some beach fronts do, some don't. But I know for fact LA Playa does every day they have machine for that and hand rake.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Sargassum Update - 01/24/2023 11:45 AM

Yup....thus the picture posted...and definitely no smell.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline