TravelTalkOnline

North Swell coming to St. Martin

Posted By: Zanshin

North Swell coming to St. Martin - 03/14/2023 04:06 PM

The beaches here in St. Martin are going to see some big waves now. I didn't pay attention to the weather (apart from seeing light winds for the next couple of days) and missed the onset of a 2m+ north swell with 13 seconds or more period (the higher the number, the more energy is packed into the waves). I wish I could head inside the lagoon as I'm rolling around here at anchor, the waves have just started getting stronger. But I have videoconferences that intersect with the inbound bridge openings.

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: North Swell coming to St. Martin - 03/14/2023 04:14 PM

Whoa, I'm getting seasick, looking at that!!

Re: North Swell coming to St. Martin - 03/14/2023 04:46 PM

I should have put in a disclaimer - "Warning, not advised for those susceptible to vertigo or on strong medication". I can't wait to finish my conference calls and get ashore!
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: North Swell coming to St. Martin - 03/14/2023 04:51 PM

Could be fun in the dingy going to shore and returning.
Posted By: candu

Re: North Swell coming to St. Martin - 03/14/2023 05:20 PM

The waves in Simpson Bay are coming from the south. Wouldn’t a north swell affect Orient?

Re: North Swell coming to St. Martin - 03/14/2023 05:45 PM

The waves in Simpson Bay are coming from the south because the real waves from the north swell are wrapping around the island and redirecting them. This link give an idea of what is happening: Windy Graph
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: North Swell coming to St. Martin - 03/14/2023 08:04 PM

Mullet Bay was very rough today and supposedly the same with Maho.
Posted By: Flowergirlg

Re: North Swell coming to St. Martin - 03/14/2023 09:22 PM

How was Great Bay and Little Bay?
Posted By: candu

Re: North Swell coming to St. Martin - 03/14/2023 10:47 PM

Smaller waves. Apparently earlier there was water in Driftwood.

Attached picture FF3E5AF6-BE21-44DF-A08D-DC6D791957BE.jpeg

Re: North Swell coming to St. Martin - 03/14/2023 11:38 PM

I just returned to the boat and it is still uncomfortable. I spent the last half-hour at the SMYC bar commiserating with one of the local party-boat captains about there being no beaches where he can take his guests tomorrow. He had 3M swells hit his catamaran today and all the local skippers ended up at the same beach because it was the only good one.
Posted By: Kennys

Re: North Swell coming to St. Martin - 03/15/2023 01:03 AM

Maho was rough this morning and but cool now .
They had to clean the road this morning .
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: North Swell coming to St. Martin - 03/15/2023 01:06 AM

Which was the "good one "?

Re: North Swell coming to St. Martin - 03/15/2023 10:38 AM

It was one of the beaches here in Simpson Bay, I can't remember the name but assume it is tucked in close to the airport runway somewhere. I know I saw big surf at Karakter from the boat, so it must have been further in. It is still uncomfortable out here today, but there's hope in sight for tomorrow.
Posted By: StMartinFan

Re: North Swell coming to St. Martin - 03/15/2023 03:28 PM

Zanshin, I enjoy reading your comments about the island based on your perspective as a boater. And yes, that video was enough to get me, much less riding out a couple of days on the boat!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline