TravelTalkOnline

New restaurant-Primo

Posted By: eilandmens

New restaurant-Primo - 03/20/2023 03:40 PM

Has anybody happen to go to this very new restaurant called Primo in Porta del Sol building across from the old Toppers now keg and still?
Posted By: BillandElaine

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/20/2023 05:45 PM

Only new one I know of in that complex is Amore. Where is it located in PDS?
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/20/2023 05:54 PM

I thought Amore was the new one on the corner across from Sale Pepe/Paradise Car Rental????
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/20/2023 10:54 PM

Amore is below Avantika.
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/21/2023 02:19 AM

Amoré bar & lounge, took over the Movida location in the Porto del Sol building.

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/21/2023 11:07 AM

Same owner as Avantika, Astra and X Movida
Posted By: kim

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/21/2023 11:17 AM

Amore - it was ok. Food was good but nothing spectacular. Had a Lobster risotto. Ambiance lacking as it was a giant cavern. Not a great space. The other part of it where Bamboo was is more of a sports bar that has hookahs and allows cigar. Can’t smell in main restaurants. Too many other places to eat before I would go back.
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/21/2023 11:56 AM

I would pass on Astra. Absolutely the worst excuse for carrot cake I have ever had. Week-old Entenmans out of a vending machine in a gas station would have been better.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/21/2023 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by ruralcarrier
I would pass on Astra. Absolutely the worst excuse for carrot cake I have ever had. Week-old Entenmans out of a vending machine in a gas station would have been better.

Wonderful imaging

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/21/2023 03:05 PM

So just because of the Carrot cake the place is a pass?
Posted By: eilandmens

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/21/2023 04:04 PM

I guess I was misinformed about name. Thanks Kim for the review. I am not an astra fan so may skip it.
Posted By: irina

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/21/2023 04:15 PM

LOL!!!

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/21/2023 05:38 PM

So what's the name of the new place across from Sale Pepe?

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/21/2023 05:46 PM

No idea! Got like 5 words in the name and I never paid attention

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/21/2023 07:20 PM

The Tap & Still is across from Pizza Del aol (my mistake) . But now that I’m thinking there is a new place on the corner that was a bank. Same side as White Swan. I think maybe Lebanese food??
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/21/2023 07:38 PM

The Tap & Still is on the other side of the bridge, where Topper's used to be. I can't recall what is across from Sale Pepe (I thought it was a doctor's office), but just a bit down the road is "Beirut". I went there last night and was pleasantly surprised. The food was great and the only downside was that it took a long time and work to get to pay the bill.

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/21/2023 07:51 PM

Sure fire way to get the bill is to stand p and start to leave. dine
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/21/2023 07:54 PM

@SXMScubaman - that's also a sure-fire way to get a "special sauce" when returning to the same restaurant. There was a new server who started yesterday and she wasn't allowed to handle the bill, but after 15 minutes of waiting and seeing only 6 other tables busy we went inside and suggested that perhaps it was time to give us some free drinks or give us a bill. We got a bill.

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/21/2023 08:01 PM

What ever it takes to get the bill. I wouldn't be returning for that "Special sauce" after service like that.

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/21/2023 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman

So just because of the Carrot cake the place is a pass?

Other reasons as well. If they can't make a better carrot cake than that, I am sure there are several places on the island to buy it and pass it off as made in-house.

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/21/2023 08:06 PM

I don’t care for carrot cake. But wow! The palms has amazing carrot cake!!
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/21/2023 08:09 PM

Now see I don't like the Palms carrot cake at all. Doesn't taste like carrot cake to me. Carrot cake is deathly sweet and theirs isn't.

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/21/2023 08:11 PM

I have had it there. We have a couple of places at home that have outstanding carrot cake.

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/21/2023 08:43 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Now see I don't like the Palms carrot cake at all. Doesn't taste like carrot cake to me. Carrot cake is deathly sweet and theirs isn't.

That's a carrot cake I'd like. Don't care for overly sweet deserts. All's well. World will still stay on it's axis for now. jester
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/22/2023 12:38 AM

Yeah, I guess. Seriously, to me if it's not SWEET, that's not carrot cake.

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/22/2023 02:09 AM

Just had it at The Palms and it was very good.

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/22/2023 02:19 AM

Would you call it very sweet? If not I might want to try it.

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/22/2023 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by kim
But now that I’m thinking there is a new place on the corner that was a bank. Same side as White Swan. I think maybe Lebanese food??

That's the one I'd like the name to.

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/22/2023 10:40 AM

Not sweet at all. Think that's why so many like it if they don't like carrot cake. My Bill won't eat any other, too sweet

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/22/2023 10:44 AM

Kim - it was a house. The bank is on the other side of the intersection, near Beirut.

I will try to get the name. I never see anyone there, but we're not out late

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/22/2023 11:37 AM

I believe the restaurant that everyone is talking about is called "Old but Gold (Caribbean Feisty Flavors)". it is at 37A Airport Rd, across the road from Banco do Caribe at Sr. Modesta Rd., and across Airport Rd from Eagle Tours boat trips.

**"If you’re familiar with Caribbean Feisty Flavors on bush road then don’t even think twice about visiting their branch in Simpson Bay. They’ve partnered with a restaurant (Old But Gold) that served middle eastern cuisine so that’s TWICE the option and deliciousness 😃
They’re fairly new as well.

If you need a quick munch, ask for their shawarma wrap. They’ll let you know the meat and vegan options.

If you’re feeling fancy and dining in at night, I’d suggest getting something Caribbean/Creole or International from their menu."

There is a Facebook page for Old but Gold, LINK

And, a Facebook page link for Feisty Caribbean Flavors, LINK

Feisty Caribbean Flavors has an original location on Bush Rd, in Philipsburg, that is staying open. Plenty of info at the two links.

Description: Feisty Caribbean Flavors (Old butGold)
Attached picture 334058081_2516012621887164_5502547629583539048_n.jpg
Posted By: Ackman

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/22/2023 12:36 PM

We went to Amore a couple days after it opened, loved it so much we went back. Arun the manager was very nice and personable, Nicki the head server was very nice as well
Posted By: SurferMike

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/22/2023 02:29 PM

Since two restaurants are mentioned and we visited them a few weeks ago, I thought I’d chime in. But first, after staying there for 19 years, I want to give a big thanks to Deb and Doug for being great hosts at the Horny Toad. Now, as far as the restaurant Amore, four of us went there as it was recommended to us. After we received our menus, which were quite large with many choices, the owner stopped by and had a ten minute rant (or so it seemed) about how it’s not customer service but customer “care”. He finally left after what seemed forever, and we ordered drinks and dinner. Our meal ended and we discussed our meals in the car. The highest grade we gave was a C plus. Mine was a C minus and even that was being nice. I should also mention my beer came in a glass, not in the bottle I asked for. Also, the waitress took away my friend’s wine before she had a chance to finish it. We realize the restaurant was only open a few weeks and to be fair, the menu was vast and I’m sure there was something they had we all could have agreed on. It just wasn’t our night. Astra was a first for us this trip. We just walked in not knowing what to expect. The owner was very pleasant, welcomed us, and told us to sit where we wanted. Our appetizer and meal were good (an A plus and B plus in case you were wondering). Astra’s staff were kind and helpful. I can’t remember if we ordered carrot cake, but if we did, I doubt it would be as good as the Palms.

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/22/2023 05:33 PM

Same owner both properties.

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/22/2023 05:45 PM

Thank you, bdeeley. That's what I was looking for!

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/22/2023 06:21 PM

Astra, Amore and Avantika are all owned by the same people. Service and quality should be the same.

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/22/2023 06:26 PM

You are quite welcome Miss Linda. I hope all is well in the Northwest?

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/22/2023 07:56 PM

The Horny Toad and Doug and Debbie are one of a kind unique. My favorite place to stay. I stopped in last week to say hello and drop a gift off the Cherry.

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/22/2023 07:59 PM

There is a restaurant called "Old But Gold", a kind of dark wood with gold lettering sign.

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/22/2023 10:45 PM

That's the one, they are co-sharing their location with Feisty Caribbean Flavors, who also has a place on Bush Rd. in Philipsburg.

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/23/2023 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by bdeeley
I hope all is well in the Northwest?

77 days joy

Re: New restaurant-Primo - 03/23/2023 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by jazzgal
Originally Posted by bdeeley
I hope all is well in the Northwest?

77 days joy

50 for us. dance