TravelTalkOnline

Phone network

Posted By: candj

Phone network - 05/19/2023 05:01 PM

I am planning to buy a new unlocked phone so that I can just add a SIM card to use in SXM. Does anyone know if the SXM network is now 4G moving to 5G?
Posted By: Kathleen

Re: Phone network - 05/19/2023 05:58 PM

This past November, I had to switch my (T-mobile) phone from 5G to 4G to get it to work in SXM. I didn't have any problems making calls or sending texts once I switched it to 4G. Don't know if there are plans to have SXM go to 5G (I would be surprised if they do).
Posted By: CaribLee

Re: Phone network - 05/19/2023 06:25 PM

If you have an old unlocked phone it will likely work with a SXM sim card. I have an old samsung galaxy s8 that is working great. (was originally used on the Verizon/Visible network back home). Just make sure it is unlocked.
Posted By: wildbill069

Re: Phone network - 05/20/2023 11:28 AM

Don’t understand ??
I have a new iPhone 14 pro max and are on T-Mobile and I don’t have to switch anything and everything works fine !!
Posted By: kim

Re: Phone network - 05/20/2023 12:53 PM

T-Mobil you don’t have to do anything.

I have an iPhone 13 plus with Verizon, most iPhones are now dual sim. So I have my US number as an E-sim and have the Chippie installed as a chip and can flip back and forth. Super easy and no need for a second phone. But to be honest I almost never used my sxm number as there is Wi-Fi everywhere. Keep you phone on “cellular data off”, you don’t incur charges but calls and texts will come in and respond when on Wi-Fi.
Posted By: wildbill069

Re: Phone network - 05/20/2023 01:24 PM

I would switch to T-Mobile much cheaper on and off the island !!
You don’t have to do anything !!
I should have switched years ago !!
Posted By: GaKaye

Re: Phone network - 05/20/2023 01:32 PM

Knowing where the OP lives, I doubt that T-Mobile is a viable option for them at home. I know where I live in ENC, Verizon is the only reliable option.

Re: Phone network - 05/20/2023 04:49 PM

Exactly. t-Mobil is crappy here in CT. Few pockets of good coverage but Verizon is perfect in the NY/CT area. Trust me I looked into it!
Posted By: jmbcomms

Re: Phone network - 05/20/2023 06:28 PM

I'm pretty sure it's 4G. Make sure you get an unlocked US phone with a US warranty (I just bought two) and have the supplier clone your current phone's data onto it. I got two Samsung S20s, both unlocked with the capability of holding two SIMS each; you just switch to whichever you need.
Posted By: singbeach

Re: Phone network - 05/24/2023 11:39 AM

I was told by TMobile if you use WhatsApp, calls are free...I was travelling to Dominican Republic...so? Hopefully next year my new s23Ultra will work in SXM...Particularly text, internet!
Posted By: Mia

Re: Phone network - 05/24/2023 12:54 PM

All calls and texts are free on WhatsApp. It doesn't matter what network.

Re: Phone network - 05/24/2023 01:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mia

When on Wi-Fi.

You can also make calls via Facebook for free on Wi-Fi.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: Phone network - 05/24/2023 01:25 PM

Just make sure you are on airplane mode.
Posted By: Lancer

Re: Phone network - 05/24/2023 05:37 PM

We have T-Mobile. I did a live chat with a representative and they have a plan for foreign travel. It cost $15 monthly to add it to your existing plan. However, he said he was waiving the $15 fee and we have the plan now indefinitely for 250 countries. I suppose it was because we have had T-Mobile for many years, but not sure. When I asked what we have to do to get it to work in SXM he said we simply shut down our phone and restart and it will automatically connect to the service in St. Martin. It's unlimited text and stream and .25 per minute for calls. We'll try it out in a few weeks when we're down there. Anyone else have this T-Mobile service and how did it work? We'll be on the French side.
Posted By: Whale Tail

Re: Phone network - 05/24/2023 05:56 PM

Wow Lancer $15 a month for foreign travel. On our recent visit this year our mobile provider (Bell Canada) charged me $16 per day to use my phone in addition to the monthly rate!!! We're getting ripped off by Canadian mobile providers.
Posted By: boucharda

Re: Phone network - 05/24/2023 06:30 PM

Originally Posted by kim
Originally Posted by Mia

When on Wi-Fi.

Doesen't the receiving party also have to have WhatsApp? or is that for off wifi calls....and if calling the USA (or USA cell phones anywhere) I just use wifi calling at no cost but calling an SXM establishment would have a small charge DEFINITELY not $16/day

Re: Phone network - 05/24/2023 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by boucharda
Originally Posted by kim
Originally Posted by Mia

When on Wi-Fi.

Doesen't the receiving party also have to have WhatsApp? or is that for off wifi calls....and if calling the USA (or USA cell phones anywhere) I just use wifi calling at no cost but calling an SXM establishment would have a small charge DEFINITELY not $16/day

Correct. Receiving phones have to have WhatsApp too.

Re: Phone network - 05/24/2023 10:18 PM

Thanks...the comment made it seem that you could call anyone for free

Re: Phone network - 05/24/2023 10:20 PM

Yes as long as you are on wifi, airplane mode and recipient also has WhatsApp. At home you don't need to be on airplane mode to call it receive any number foreign or domestic.

Re: Phone network - 05/25/2023 11:47 AM

WhatsApp and wifi calling are great, IF you have wifi. Doesn't do you much good if you have a emergency on the road. We had an old phone with a chippie card for several years, but for the last few trips have just used our Verizon international plan when we don't have wifi. Our plan gives us one free international day per month, so we've never had to pay the usual $10 fee.

Re: Phone network - 05/25/2023 01:18 PM

Isn't that 10 per day whenever you do use it. You could do that everyday if needed if I remember right from the past.
Posted By: Kathleen

Re: Phone network - 05/25/2023 02:56 PM

Just make sure that you have your phone set to 4G. I set mine to 5G in the US since we have a pretty robust 5G signal here in NJ. A couple of years ago, when we got to SXM my Tmobile was inexplicably not working. Jeff from DK Gems explained that I just needed to switch to 4G and everything worked perfectly again.

Re: Phone network - 05/26/2023 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
Isn't that 10 per day whenever you do use it. You could do that everyday if needed if I remember right from the past.

Yes, $10 for 24 hours of talk, text, and data, beginning when you first actually use the service. I've never actually used it more than a few days during our annual three week trips, but I like knowing I have the option.

Re: Phone network - 05/26/2023 11:49 AM

Great option for an emergency. We have used it before WhatsApp.
Posted By: lcote

Re: Phone network - 05/26/2023 07:11 PM

If I am not mistaken, 5 G requires a fair amount of infrastructure. And I doubt very seriously that is going to happen in SXM soon.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Phone network - 05/26/2023 07:11 PM

Heck, we can't get 5 G here in Central Florida in the boonies!

Re: Phone network - 05/26/2023 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
Great option for an emergency. We have used it before WhatsApp.

Are the police on whatsapp?

Re: Phone network - 05/26/2023 08:35 PM

I wouldn't worry about that. If I need police I'll dial 911 and wouldn't care what it costs.

Re: Phone network - 05/27/2023 12:04 AM

I actually don't think it's 911 in SXM?

Re: Phone network - 05/27/2023 12:39 AM

Phone in our room says to dial 911 for emergency.
Posted By: jazzgal

Re: Phone network - 05/27/2023 01:54 AM

Yes, it is. I have dialed it.
Posted By: IslandBoi

Re: Phone network - 05/27/2023 02:38 AM

<<Link to SXM Emergency Numbers>>
Posted By: bdeeley

Re: Phone network - 05/27/2023 02:47 AM

Sint Maarten (Dutch side)

910 = St. Smarten Medical Center

911 = Police

912 = Ambulance

919 = Fire Department
Posted By: candj

Re: Phone network - 05/27/2023 02:39 PM

Yep, Verizon is the only one that works well in Southport.
Posted By: Joecool

Re: Phone network - 06/27/2023 01:09 AM

Hello All,
We are arriving in SXM on Sunday. We have Android phones, Samsung Galaxy S22+. Will my phone not work in SXM? I have AT&T.
Posted By: Uksimonusa

Re: Phone network - 06/27/2023 01:38 AM

If you have the international pass it will work, $10 per 24 hour period and $5 for a 2nd line

Re: Phone network - 06/27/2023 10:25 AM

International plan works fine for emergency calls but I keep my Samsung on airpalne mode and just use wifi calling (no cost at all) for calls back to the USA or to USA based cell phones. You can always turn off airplane mode if you need to make a call outside of wifi availability but it will cost $10 for a 24 hour period.

If you just have to make a few local SXM calls then still use wifi calling and the cost will be much less for those assuming they are reasonably short. I did this with a car rental issue when in SXM and the calls (2) cost me less than $3
Posted By: Joecool

Re: Phone network - 06/27/2023 12:08 PM

Thanks to you all for the help! Greatly appreciated.

Re: Phone network - 06/27/2023 12:57 PM

as boucharda said, IF you are someplace where you have internet, just put the phone in airplane mode and it works great to make calls to and from the US! No cost on either side of the call.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline