TravelTalkOnline

Safety and crime

Posted By: Anonymous

Safety and crime - 07/03/2012 02:39 PM

Hi, I'm searching for the perfect destination for snorkeling, diving and swimming. Can anyone tell me how safe the Caymen Islands are? Crime? Break ins? Etc?
Thanks all!
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Safety and crime - 07/03/2012 04:28 PM

There is no such thing as a crime free area, but Cayman is certainly more crime free than many other islands. It is a premiere area for snorkeling and diving. I have never looked at rental villas there, so I don't know whether it would fit your cost parameters, based on your post in the BVI forum.
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: Safety and crime - 07/03/2012 08:12 PM

Carol,

Thank you for the info. I realize that crime is everywhere and that some tropical places are worse than others!

Yeah, I am looking for the best island to travel with a family group of 6, so exploring all options. Looks like Caymens are really expensive when it comes to accommodations.

I didn't see much here on accommodations in the caymens, so if you have any insights that would be great! I hope to hear from folks re: bvi's as well! Hope that is ok!

Re: Safety and crime - 07/03/2012 09:19 PM

I personally am not that familiar with accomodation on Cayman, as I have only been there on cruises.

With regard to requesting info on different islands, no problem! That's what a forum is for!
Posted By: Testudo

Re: Safety and crime - 07/05/2012 05:06 AM

I have actually been a victim of crime upon "tourist" while on Grand Cayman. Stuff happens ANYWHERE in the world.

http://www.caymannewsservice.com/headline-news/2011/02/08/tourists-mugged-beach

That stated, if you like the BVI, the North Side or East End districts of Grand Cayman are where you want to focus tour lodging search. Plus, it has the best snorkeling on island.
Google: testudo snorkelblog for the details.

Re: Safety and crime - 07/05/2012 05:13 AM

I will say, if you are truly interested in snorkeling Cayman blows the BVI away. Here are some posts that may provide some insight:

http://www.traveltalkonline.com/forums/s...rue#Post1409613

http://www.traveltalkonline.com/forums/s...rue#Post1265339

Re: Safety and crime - 07/05/2012 02:07 PM

Sorry to hear about your incident.

Re: Safety and crime - 07/05/2012 10:53 PM

Carol_Hill said:
Sorry to hear about your incident.

Thank you. Just have to chalk it up to the old "live and learn" method of gaining life experiences.

Re: Safety and crime - 07/05/2012 11:28 PM

We have been victims of crime twice in all our travels. Both times, we did something really stupid. In this case, not sure you really did anything that stupid, but as you say, a lesson.
Posted By: StMartinMike

Re: Safety and crime - 08/18/2012 08:14 PM

Try the Turtle Nest Inn. I cannot personally attest to it but I have researched it thoroughly. It gets glowing reviews on TripAdvisor.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline