TravelTalkOnline

Turtle Farm

Posted By: BobA

Turtle Farm - 03/16/2013 10:49 PM

I haven't figured out the details on this yet, so I need assistance.

It has been suggested that we (4 adults) head to Turtle Farm, but not to pay to go to the major park attraction, but do some sort of side part that does not include the major part, just where on can see turtles, etc.

It is my understanding there is still a fee, but less.

It is also my understanding that one may snorkel in this area, but I cannot figure out where one does this.

Any assistance is appreciated.

7 days and counting......
Posted By: Testudo

Re: Turtle Farm - 03/16/2013 11:26 PM

Turtle Farm info: http://www.turtle.ky/book-now

The snorkeling is accessible from the patio at the MacaBuca/Cracked Conch restaurant just west of the farm.
Posted By: BobA

Re: Turtle Farm - 03/17/2013 12:43 AM

Thanks for all the responses.

A question on protocol. When using an access to the beach or water from a location adjacent or at a dive shop or restaurant, how is this taken when one is not a customer of the business?

Re: Turtle Farm - 03/17/2013 04:38 PM

Not required, but etiquette is: if entering the water at a restaurant, buy a few drinks, etc... If at a dive shop, leave a small tip, if there is a tip jar.

If you enter somewhere not using a ladder, no worries regarding above.
Posted By: sabysmith

Re: Turtle Farm - 09/18/2013 10:25 AM

You can trip ponds in the initial research-breeding facility with thousands in diverse phases of development, some up to 600 pounds and more than 70 years old. Turtles can be selected up from the containers, a genuine heal for children and mature persons as the little animals flap their fins and splash the water.
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Turtle Farm - 09/18/2013 04:23 PM

How far away is Macabuca from cruise pier? Do they have a sandy beach to go with snorkeling? Are there any other restaurants near the Macabuca. I read a lot of mixed reviews. We don't need much--burgers, fries, chicken tenders, cold corona.

Re: Turtle Farm - 09/19/2013 01:11 AM

PelicanPirate said:
How far away is Macabuca from cruise pier? Do they have a sandy beach to go with snorkeling? Are there any other restaurants near the Macabuca. I read a lot of mixed reviews. We don't need much--burgers, fries, chicken tenders, cold corona.

MacaBuca/Cracked Conch restaurants are about a 20 minute drive from the pier (barring any traffic). You can take one of the public buses (mini-vans) that run either route 1 or 2 (Lime Green or Yellow) for ~$2.50 US.

No beach, the area is ironshore, but they have a ladder into a fairly well protected entry area. For me, it is one of the more scenic spots to grab some casual fare and enjoy a drink. The snorkeling is not the best since it is fairly deep, +30 feet to good stuff, but still can be enjoyable.

The cracked conch is great as is the fish and chips. Had some great lunches there and some so-so, but never anything terrible. Other restaurants in the vicinity are the Green House (?) at Lantern Point (the Dive Tech Dive shop condos), TimBucTuu, and Alfresco's. I prefer MacaBuca, but Alfresco's is a great setting as well.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline