TravelTalkOnline

Grenada and Grenadines Sailing Float Plan

Posted By: trespalmas

Grenada and Grenadines Sailing Float Plan - 01/01/2018 05:45 PM

We are headed to Grenada/Grenadines Feb 3-11 for a bareboat trip. We were booked for St. Maarten but after Irma were able to change to Grenada. After reviewing the cruising guide and doing online research, below is the itinerary we have tentatively set.

Any suggestions for onshore activities (hiking, biking, restaurants) or snorkeling spots are greatly appreciated.
Recommendations on where to watch the Superbowl in Tyrell Bay
Process for checking in/out of customs. I assume we will have to check out at Tyrell Bay, check in at Canouan, Check out ant Union Island, and check in at Grenada----- but could be wrong.
Advice on itinerary in general is welcome.... the crew knows there are a few days that will have some decent open sails.

Sat 3rd: Sleep aboard
Sun 4th: Tyrell Bay, Carriacou for Superbowl
Mon 5th: Canouan
Tues 6th: Bequia
Wed 7th: Mustique for Blues Festival
Thur 8th: Tobago Cays
Fri 9th: Union Island
Sat 10th: Back To Grenada. Prickly Bay/True Blue.
Sun 11th: Return boat and fly home

Thanks for your input and Happy New Year!
Posted By: tothedogs

Re: Grenada and Grenadines Sailing Float Plan - 01/01/2018 09:15 PM

What you have planned is ambitious for 8 days and there will be a lot of close hauled sailing to get up to Bequia. Keep in mind that at this time of year, it can be brisk with a northeast fetch to the wind and you will likely do some tacking to get there. We leave tomorrow for a 10 day, one way charter starting from St. Vincent with a drop off in Grenada.

I can't speak to where to find the Super Bowl on Carriacou, but I'm sure that with diligence you will find a place. We once watched it on Mayreau. Not positive, but I think it was the only bar/restaurant with a functioning TV (19 inch). It was two of us, the owner/bartender and his friend. Carriacou is bigger with a larger population so you should have a few options.

You will need to check out of Grenada and in to St Vincent territory and vice versa.

Personally, unless you are driven and have to be there, with only 8 days, I'd forget about Bequia and Mustique. If you only do one, I prefer Bequia. If you have never been, I'd plan at least one extra day around the Tobago Cays with a night at Salt Whistle on Mayreau. We typically spend 2-3 days in this area. The hike to the church at the top of Mayreau is worth it for the incredible views.Dinner either with Dennis, or Righteous in the village is well worth it as well.You can get a taxi up and back for dinner, and frequently, the restaurant will pick you up and bring you back as well.

Other places worth a stop are Chatham Bay on Union (snorkeling and beach bbq) as well as PSV with a visit to Mopion. Unless you want to visit the new marina on Canouan, I wouldn't bother. It is ok, just nothing special.

Have a good trip.
Posted By: snmhanson

Re: Grenada and Grenadines Sailing Float Plan - 01/02/2018 12:18 AM

Can't really comment on your itinerary, but I'm going to be down there with my wife and kids during the same time-frame. We are sailing from St. Lucia to Grenada from February 3 to the 13th. Our current plan is to leave Marigot Bay early in the morning on the 4th (weather permitting) and and make it all the way down to Bequia that day. Then work our way down the islands from there ending up at True Blue Bay on 12th or the 13th. This is our first time sailing the Grenadines and we are looking forward to it. We'll be on a Lagoon 42 from Horizon Yacht Charters named Island Life - stop by and say hi if you see us.

Matt
Posted By: Jeannius

Re: Grenada and Grenadines Sailing Float Plan - 01/02/2018 08:53 AM

¬Clear in to SVG at Union rather than Canouan, then head to Mayreau and the Tobago Cays. Mustique will charge you three nights mooring even if you stay only one night. Looks to me as though you are trying to pack too much into one week, you really need longer for your itinerary.
Posted By: jphart

Re: Grenada and Grenadines Sailing Float Plan - 01/03/2018 02:21 AM

Probably a way too ambitious itinerary. Good luck!
Please post a trip report with what you were actually able to accomplish

Re: Grenada and Grenadines Sailing Float Plan - 01/03/2018 02:13 PM

Thank you for the input. Unanimously it sounds like we are being too ambitious. Probably makes sense to eliminate Mustique and Bequia from our itinerary and add Mayreau and PSV. Unless of course the conditions are ideal and the crew wants some more open sailing time!

Is a stop at Ronde island worth it, or too risky with kick em jenny activity?

Tothedogs- a trip report would be appreciated!

Snmhanson- would enjoy meeting up. We'll be on a 45' Lagoon with Dream Yacht Charters. Unsure of the name at this point.

Appreciate all of the input.

Jarrod
Posted By: d_fish

Re: Grenada and Grenadines Sailing Float Plan - 01/04/2018 12:18 AM

Very ambitious/aggressive plan for only 8 days! We just returned from a 12 day trip in November - Grenada to Bequia and back.

FYI checking in can take a long time. For example upon returning to Hillsborough we were behind a superyacht with 70 some passengers whom each passport had to be processed individually. We waited in line in excess of 2.5 hours to clear in. This was in Hillsborough, Carriacou. Very friendly C&I though.

Also bear in mind that when checking in, if you check in after hours or on weekends, there is an overtime fee.

Ill look up our itinerary and let you know what we ended up doing in 12 days.

Good call to forget Mustique and Bequia given your timeframe. I would also forget Canouan and add time elsewhere.

Definitely go to a beach bbq in Tobago cays. There are 2 very popular ones, Romeos or Alfonso. You cant go wrong with either.

BTW I think the best place to find the game would be the private resort at PSV (similar to Peter Island Resort). It is probably the most pricy place for drinks (other than Mustique), but worth it. Also will allow you for a day stop in Mopion which is a small sandy island similar to Sandy Spit.

Sorry for the short message, I will check our itinerary and post later. Don't have time right now.

Re: Grenada and Grenadines Sailing Float Plan - 01/04/2018 12:22 AM

Also we poked our nose into Ronde but decided to continue on. We had too far to sail to afford a stop. Remember the distances are far greater than sailing in the BVIs. Winds stronger and seas can be rougher. Depending on your crew, ensure you have a few short distance days sandwiched between long sailing days.

Re: Grenada and Grenadines Sailing Float Plan - 01/04/2018 11:20 PM

If I were you, I would try to go to the resort at PSV to watch the Superbowl game. They have a very nice beach bar with big screen tvs. I am not sure what you will find in Tyrell.

People either really like Tyrell or hate it. From the outside looking in, it looks like an industrial harbor. We stayed there our last trip and didn't bother going there this trip.

Re: Grenada and Grenadines Sailing Float Plan - 01/06/2018 11:16 PM

Now in mid trip.

Day 1 Bequia
Day 2 Tobago Cays bbq with Teddy
Day 3 Salt Whistle Mayreau dinner with Dennis- great time.
Day 4 Hang day at Salt Whistle.
Tomorrow-Chatham Bay, bbq with Bolllhead or Seckie.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Grenada and Grenadines Sailing Float Plan - 01/07/2018 12:03 AM

Enjoy! And please do write a trip report upon your return.
Posted By: oilwench

Re: Grenada and Grenadines Sailing Float Plan - 01/17/2018 12:44 AM

HI..I am researching for the rest of my travel crew. I am not going sailing this year but they are heading to Grenada on 1/28. After many years in BVIs, this is new. Can I ask some questions for them?
1. best place for decent prices on wine
2. is it possible to ship down wine?

Any "can't miss" stops? Any advice? Even if I cannot go, I want to know everything! Thanks!
Posted By: Jeannius

Re: Grenada and Grenadines Sailing Float Plan - 01/17/2018 09:21 AM

IGA in Spiceland Mall is a reasonable place to get standard wines on Grenada... http://www.realvalueiga.com

In the same Mall is North South Wines... http://www.northsouthwines.com/ I haven't been to North South so can't comment on prices so I suggest you contact them and ask.

I imagine it is possible to ship wine but, again, haven't done it. What I have done is ship boat parts and I can tell you getting them cleared through customs was not a lot of fun!

Re: Grenada and Grenadines Sailing Float Plan - 01/17/2018 02:00 PM

Trespalmas,

We returned over the weekend from our charter. I am working on a trip report. Finding the Super Bowl in Tyrell Bay may be a challenge. We walked almost the entire beach checking out most of the bars/restaurants and did not see a TV anywhere.The only place we did not go into was the Slipway restaurant at the southern end of Tyrell.

Hillsborough may be a possibility as there is a larger (this is relative) light brown colored hotel at the north end of the bay across the street from the beach - sorry I do not remember the name, but I think it began with an L.

Also, a few "new" things since the last time we were there 2 years ago. First, the dinghy dock at Salt Whistle is gone, only bones of a framework remain. This was never in good shape to begin with so no great loss. It is best to pull the dinghy on to the beach and tie it to a tree. Second, there are now more moorings in the Cays, Mayreau, and behind Newland's Reef on Union. These are administered and theoretically maintained by the conservation/national park authorities and seem to be in much better condition the the typical Grenadine private mooring. We used several with no problem. There is ample room left to anchor as well. The boat boys will be there to take your lines and help to tie you off. A tip is expected (beer/soda or a few $EC). Someone from the park authority will stop by to collect the mooring fee and give you a receipt.

Overall a great trip with with 20 knots or so of wind on the longer passages and 5-7 foot seas. Off the wind, we routinely made 7-8+ knots on a Lagoon 38 with a single reefed main.

Have a good trip.

Re: Grenada and Grenadines Sailing Float Plan - 01/17/2018 04:22 PM

Looking forward to reading your trip report tothedogs. The sailing sounds like a blast and it will be cool to see some different sailing grounds.

If anyone is interested, there is a thread about dealing with the boat boys and related issues on a different sailing forum: http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/f2/boat-boys-moorings-and-tipping-195093.html I had some concerns about them, but didn't want to derail this thread here so I participated a bit in that one. It starts out with a pretty negative view, but if you read the whole thing you start to understand things a bit more and get a bit more comfortable - especially after some reports from people who were down there recently. It will be interesting to hear tothedogs view on them.

Re: Grenada and Grenadines Sailing Float Plan - 01/17/2018 04:48 PM

There are many stories around on some sites, many by people who have not been there for quite a while. If one is looking for a high end yacht club/YCCS experience, this is not the place to go unless one is going to park at Mustique (no marina though). If one wants to experience as much of the old Caribbean as still exists, this is it.

Boat Boys in the Grenadines are generally quite helpful in my experience. In the Tobago Cays they need to have a license to even be there, and this is how they make a living. One can get bread, sundries, ice, tobacco, fish, lobster, and more. It is a bit pricey, but when one considers they have fuel bills, inventory, and the convenience of delivery it is not too bad, Ask/confirm the pricing in advance for things they will bring in the morning. Some negotiation is possible. Politeness, as always, is key.

St. Lucia and St. Vincent proper they can be a bit aggressive coming out to meet you a mile off shore to volunteer to take your lines. No Boat boys in Carriacou or Grenada we saw.

Re: Grenada and Grenadines Sailing Float Plan - 01/18/2018 07:02 PM

tothedogs,

Welcome home. Sounds like a fantastic trip. Looking forward to reading your trip report. The sailing conditions sound superb, can't wait.

Thanks for the insight on Tyrell Bay. As a few folks above mentioned maybe we'll stop at PSV for the SuperBowl instead.

Happy to hear the new moorings are in good shape.

Appreciate your advice.

Re: Grenada and Grenadines Sailing Float Plan - 01/18/2018 08:57 PM

Trespalmas,

For the SB, the only place you can go ashore on PSV is Goatie's beach bar. We did not stop there this trip, but I do not recall a TV there in the past.

Other possibilities are the Anchorage or Bougainvilla marina/yacht clubs on Union. They are right next to each other and have restaurants/bars. We stopped in to the Anchorage for lunch which was good. I do not recall a TV, but I was not looking either. I would suggest calling them all in advance of your trip to eliminate running around.
Posted By: goldenbvi

Re: Grenada and Grenadines Sailing Float Plan - 01/27/2018 09:50 AM

We will be headed south to Grenada in the morning (Sunday). Flying from Greensboro, NC. Chartering through Dream Yacht Charters. Our first time with them. So far has been a positive experience. Headed out of St. George’s Monday mid day. Probably dive under Water sculptures and get familiar with the boat, 44 Helia. Maybe stay at Grand Mal. Then head toward Carriacou and other islands in Grenadines Tuesday. Planning on including union, salt whistle, and tobagoes. Say hello and we will do the same.

Re: Grenada and Grenadines Sailing Float Plan - 01/28/2018 02:33 AM

Hi Goldenbvi. We are going to be beginning a charter down there a week from today. Maybe we'll cross paths. We almost chartered the exact boat that you are going to be on (Helia owner's version from DYC). Probably would have gone with it except another company responded first so we went with them. We will be on a new Lagoon 42 for this charter. Have a great trip!

Re: Grenada and Grenadines Sailing Float Plan - 01/28/2018 07:04 PM

Goldenbvi- safe travels. Looks like the seas will be a little rough Monday and Tuesday. Please post a report when you return.

snmhanson- we arrive Feb 3rd for a sleepaboard and depart Feb 4th. We are on a Lagoon 45 with Dream Yacht Charters. I'm guessing our paths will cross!

Re: Grenada and Grenadines Sailing Float Plan - 02/01/2018 07:09 PM

Quick question that I am hoping someone watching this thread can answer. We are getting ready to head down for our Grenadines charter tonight and I'm trying to decide what the best strategy concerning money and paying for things. Not sure how much cash we will need and if we should bring US dollars with us (and exchange if necessary) or if ATMs are available and will work with our US card from our small local bank. Are credit cards widely accepted? How much should we bring for tipping boat boys, taxi drivers, etc... Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!
Posted By: Sunset_Sammy

Re: Grenada and Grenadines Sailing Float Plan - 02/02/2018 12:48 PM

ATM's are available on most of the islands, they don't have them in the shops just at banks. If bringing US bring smaller denomination bills, only banks will accept $100's, most other places won't. Bills should be in good shape, no tears, writing or excessive wear. Banks will give you the proper rate of 2.68, bring ID and be prepared to stand in line, the street rate is 2.5, change will always be in EC. Most restaurants will accept credit cards. We usually tip boat boys 10-20 EC for tying a stern line ashore and such. Tipping is 10% if not already included in the bill for restaurants.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline