TravelTalkOnline

Advice for restaurants/bars/sights in Grenada

Posted By: UncleLuff

Advice for restaurants/bars/sights in Grenada - 03/07/2018 09:48 PM

Hi All:

Myself and 3 other gents are taking an ASA 101,103,104 certification out of Grenada in April (Almost 5 weeks to go!) While I am sure the captain/instructor will be keeping us busy for the week as we make our way to the Grenadines and back, we do have a day and 2 nights on the island. We arrive back in St George on the Friday, stay over on the boat in Port Louis Marina (does anyone know if there is a pool at the Marina?). The next day we check into the Kalinago Resort, staying the night and then flying out the next morning.

Any suggestions on a good place to eat the Friday and Saturday night? Any sites that it would be worth checking out by renting/hiring a car?

Thanks
JD

Posted By: Jeannius

Re: Advice for restaurants/bars/sights in Grenada - 03/08/2018 09:47 AM

There is a pool at Port Louis Marina. Very good facilities right there but, if you have time, it'll be nice to get out to Prickly Bay or Clarkes Court Bay and a few others on the South Coast. That's where the resident cruisers hang out. Been a little while since I was there so bar/restaurant recommendations might be out of date so I'll leave those to others.
Posted By: Sunset_Sammy

Re: Advice for restaurants/bars/sights in Grenada - 03/08/2018 03:02 PM

There's a restaurant in the marina, service is slow at best, don't be shy about asking when your meal is going to arrive if it's taking a long time. I've only eaten breakfast there and it's always been good once you get it.

If you want a local experience there's the Creole Shack in St. Georges, it's buffet style (what we would call cafeteria style), get there before 5:00 for the best selection; you'll get a main, 3 sides and a beer for 20EC.

B&B's Crabshack, located on the carenage gets good reviews, never eaten there myself as it's a little upscale.

You could take the bus from the marina (going to the right when you get to the main road) and go to Wall Street, which is at the roundabout by Spiceland Mall, food stands, soup lady, shark and bake, people selling beers and drinks. Gets busy on the weekends.

Umbrellas which is on Grand Anse Beach, has good food, great happy hour and sometimes live music on the weekends, take the bus to the same roundabout as above, walk towards the mall and you'll see a sign for Umbrellas at the cut through to the beach. Nice beach bar, popular with students from the university.

At Kilingo you're kind of isolated, they have a restaurant on site. We didn't care for it, ordered jerk chicken, got a bland boneless chicken breast and some tired vegetables for 60 EC. Rule of thumb, if they're serving chicken breasts it's a tourist joint.
There is a local place next door to Kilingo, but I can't remember if they're open for dinner.

You could also go to either Prickly Bay Marina or the Dodgy Dock at True Blue, both are popular with yachties.

Re: Advice for restaurants/bars/sights in Grenada - 03/13/2018 07:49 PM

Thanks for the info and the warning on the restaurant at Kalinago.
Posted By: NODEE

Re: Advice for restaurants/bars/sights in Grenada - 03/15/2018 11:42 AM

Spent 2 hurricane seasons in Grenada while cruising the eastern Caribbean 2012 &13. A couple of our favorites:
Upscale - The Cave, also known as the hobbit house. Upscale above Prickly Bay
Cruiser Hangout: The Tiki Bar at Prickly Bay Marina, pizza night was fun with live music bandstand
Wisper Cove great setting in Woburn, excellent food, Meet and Meat market with fresh veg and butcher run by Gil and Marie, French Canadian flavor.
There is also the West Indies Beer Company in L'anse Aux Epines for a brew pub that had an open mike night for cruisers.
If your classes are with LTD based at Secret Harbor you can track down George (Survival Anchorage) and he can get you most anywhere you want to go. If time allows, the local bus and some walking can get you most places (with maybe 1 transfer)
Cheers and enjoy. We loved Grenada.
Kirk
Posted By: moore5678

Re: Advice for restaurants/bars/sights in Grenada - 09/21/2018 04:30 AM

Well, how were the restaurants? Any you’d recommend highly? We have a group going next May & we need fun places to go with good food👍🏻

Re: Advice for restaurants/bars/sights in Grenada - 09/21/2018 03:37 PM

Hi, So it has been a while but here are the restaurants we ate at and where and overall impressions

St George - Dinner at Carib Sushi: this was a really good meal and pretty reasonable price wise, will be even better for Americans with the better conversion
Tyrell bay, Dinner at Slip Way: This was a pleasant surprise! Gastronomical experience right on the water, great service and atmosphere as well. Highly recommended!
Petit St Vincent - Dinner at the restaurant at the beach (there is another fancier restaurant but not sure as to restrictions for yachts) the beach restaurantt was really nice, perfect location scenery. it was slow so we had literally 3 servers hanging around replacing bears, drinks, etc. Great experience. Expensive though!
Tyrell Bay, Lazy turtle, Fun casual restaurant, great pizza and good value, highly recommended
Grenada - Dinner at Aquarium: I was pretty tired and there may have been a few too many wobbly pops, so my recollection was that the food took really long to get to us, the fish was okay, the atmosphere and general seeting very nice and right on the beach. would be nice for a sunset dinner
Kalinago - I guess we didn't follow the advice given to us. We had other options but after a hectic packed week, tests and studying, we decided to take it easy and eat on the beach right on the hotel. Overall impressions. okay, expensive.

btw, I though Kalaningo was a great value stay if you are looking for a place to stay before or after cruise, great beach, rooms were basic but clean and all looking on to the beach. Also if you stay here there is a little shack beach bar called La Plywood on the north side of the beach that had really good fish tacos. great place to hang out and enjoy some beverages as an alternative to the hotel bar (which was pretty dead)
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline