TravelTalkOnline

Planning First Sailing Trip to the Grenadines

Posted By: Donald

Planning First Sailing Trip to the Grenadines - 03/15/2019 07:30 PM

After 9 sailing charters in the BVIs, I've decided to look south to the Grenadines for next February's bareboat trip. I'm posting this as I am looking for an island that is easy to get to without multiple flights and changing airlines that also has a decent charter company containing a decent fleet (we're looking at a 40'- 45' monohull for 4-5 guys and not a catamaran).

I've read through a couple reviews and I suspect the questions I'm about to post have already been answered elsewhere but here goes....

Destination
I'll be flying from Canada and would like an easy to get to destination. For that reason, St Vincent had appeal as there is a direct flight from Toronto. I'd also like to skip the hassle of crossing into another country while sailing and dealing with customs. It looked like St Vincent would provide a week's worth (maybe more!) of anchorages where I could sail and not cross an international border. Any other island suggestions?

Charter Company.
All my BVI trips have been with Moorings, Sunsail and, most recently, Dream Yacht Charters. The BVIs has always had plenty of boats and its always been an option to charter something new or a couple years old. In trying to identify Grenadine companies, I've noticed Moorings and Sunsail no longer have bases at St Vincent. Without mentioning names, I've seen a couple companies with boats 10+ years old in their fleet. Old boats in charters, so I have read, run more of a risk of something going wrong, but, in all fairness, I've never chartered an older boat so I really don't know if that is actually true. Comments?

How far in advance should one book a boat for charter in the Grenadines? With fewer boats I would assume they would get booked pretty quickly. The issue is we are still working on a getting committment from the guys who will be the crew and I doubt we'll have everyone signing up for a few months yet.

Facts and opinions are welcome. PM me if you prefer.

D
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Planning First Sailing Trip to the Grenadines - 03/15/2019 07:48 PM

Hi. I don't know anything about this topic, but probably your best source of info might be Sunset Sammy. If you look just below your post, there are a couple of current reports from him, as he is currently (possibly still, not sure) in Carriacou on a land based trip, and access to internet may be sporadic. You might want to search also for posts by him, for possible trip reports from that area. Hopefully he will respond here, but it may be a few days, if he is still there in Carriacou.
Posted By: moore5678

Re: Planning First Sailing Trip to the Grenadines - 03/15/2019 10:07 PM

Hi there,
We are chartering 3 boats out of Grenada and are very happy with Sunsail so far. We've also done the BVI twice and were looking for something new. Look back a little at a thread I posted a few months back. Great information from many people.
Posted By: Sunset_Sammy

Re: Planning First Sailing Trip to the Grenadines - 03/16/2019 09:16 PM

With the new airport open flying directly to St. Vincent is the way to go to. I can't comment about the charter aspect as we always do a crewed charter. You'll have plenty of options on where to go for a week charter.
Kingstown has the best market (fruit, veg, sauces, spices) in this part of the Caribbean; their fish market, located nearby, is also very good. There are supermarkets on St. Vincent and a decent small one, Knights, on Bequia after that the pickings are slim.
I would recommend a full day ( two nights) on Bequia. Myself, between Palm and PSV, I prefer Palm. Nice thing about a stop at PSV though is that you can go over to Petit Martinique and take a nice hike around the island. Miopion is also right nearby for some decent snorkeling (hour or two tops).
It's a great area, you'll love the sailing.
Posted By: jphart

Re: Planning First Sailing Trip to the Grenadines - 03/17/2019 02:18 PM

Grenadines are great cruising grounds! We did it back when Moorings had a base in Caracou and AA flew there. Other option is St Lucia round trip or one way to/from Grenada. Easiest north south,
Posted By: jphart

Re: Planning First Sailing Trip to the Grenadines - 03/17/2019 02:42 PM

Grenadines are great cruising grounds! We did it back when Moorings had a base in Caracou and AA flew there. Other option is St Lucia round trip or one way to/from Grenada. Easiest is north south, but you can do from Grenada, or r//t Grenada.
Posted By: UncleLuff

Re: Planning First Sailing Trip to the Grenadines - 03/19/2019 07:55 PM

Hi Donald, not sure when you are planning on flying in to St Vincent, but the direct flights from Toronto stop either in April or May so plan accordingly. I would look into doing a one way trip from St Vincent to Grenada (additional charge of about $1K for this option, also additional flight complications as it is two one way tickets so that is also something to consider unless you fly back to St. Vincent), the ability to run down and not beat back may make up for the hassle of checking in to Grenada on Carriacou. If not you could definitely spend a week sailing in the Grenadines. As sunset sammy mentioned, Bequia is a definite must. You could do: Bequia (2 nights), Mayrea (1 night), Tobago Cays (2 nights), Union (1 night), PSV. You might even be able to stop at Petite Martinique as there doesn't seem to be the same restrictions about dingying over from PSV ...

In terms of charter company, We are chartering from DYC in May this year in Grenada a catamaran (brand new 47' Saona with 4 couples) but did however charter a 45' monohull last year through them. There were some issues (fridge not working, battery issues) but I think that will be the same for all of them down there. We booked in September last year for this May and had no issues with availability.

Our trip is 6 weeks away, will have more insight after that as I have never been past PSV (only sailed in Grenada last year for our sailing course.) Can't wait!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline