TravelTalkOnline

Where to Clear? Can you pass first point of entry?

Posted By: jphart

Where to Clear? Can you pass first point of entry? - 07/13/2022 02:32 AM

A couple of questions please.

Planning a Windward passage trip r/t Grenada 2023. First time having to plan clearance of customs and immigration. I've looked at SailClear and Doyle's Sailing Guide to the Windwards, but I can't find a source for info or answers to the following.

If sailing Carriacou to Canouan (in either direction) can we go directly? Or must we stop at the nearest point of entry? (Clifton-Union Is)
Somewhere deep in my memory do I recall a fellow sailer (Zanshin?) chastised or fined for sailing from St. Martin to Roadtown because he passed a nearest point of entry? Was that just BVI, or is that anywhere? (Yes, I tried the Google machine, but no answer found...yet.)

How difficult is it to land and clear outside of official hours or on weekends? How much more are the fees? Is it not possible? or should we just punt?

I'll share the planned itinerary as the process continues, and based on this answer.

Thanks
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Where to Clear? Can you pass first point of entry? - 07/13/2022 04:51 AM

When you clear out of Carriacou you will state your destination in the clearance papers ("Zarpe") as Canouan, St. Vincent and the Grenadines. Then, just like in Monopoly when you get a "go to jail" card, you just sail directly there and don't stop anywhere on the way. If you arrive out of hours, then anchor and stay aboard until the next day when the captain clears in. I cross check with Noonsite for St. Vincent and the Grenadines before traveling. That site states that you can even stop for 24hours underway, perhaps because of the geographical size of the country, but the official SVG Clearance page makes no mention of that.
Posted By: jphart

Re: Where to Clear? Can you pass first point of entry? - 07/13/2022 09:21 AM

Perfect! Thanks so much for the info.
I hadn’t seen the Noonsite pages before. Good stuff there.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline