TravelTalkOnline

Shoutout for Antigua

Posted By: Nibj

Shoutout for Antigua - 04/17/2022 01:48 PM

We just (two weeks ago) finished a bareboat charter with Moorings Antigua. Had a truly memorable time visiting (in order) Green Island, Barbuda, Dickinson Bay, Deep Bay, Jolly Harbour, Carlisle Bay and Falmouth. A last day anchor in Freeman Bay, English Harbor, was a great way to end the charter. An added plus was that the Classic Yacht regatta was in full swing so boat watching was a delight.

People are really friendly, and the variety of anchorages is a plus. We saw hump back whales several times on our sail to Barbuda. A day spent at the Royalston on Deep Bay was much appreciated by the crew (book one day ahead). Falmouth is a neat town with several dining and bar opportunities (we enjoyed two visits to Catherine’s Cafe and a lunch at Hummus for example). Nelson’s dockyard added a quaint spot to wait for the charter to start.

Moorings Antigua has very pleasant and helpful staff (including delivering extra outboard fuel on our second to last day). Do check the boat systems though!

The wind was generally higher than in the BVI, and the seas also rougher with bigger swell than we are used to particularly along the exposed eastern side of the island (up to Green Island). But we enjoyed the sailing. Snorkeling was hit or miss with some nice spots (Green Island, Carlisle Bay) and some where the water was murky (the wreck in Deep Bay for example). Mostly we had to beach the dinghy which resulted in some hilarity (must practice more).
Posted By: Zanshin

Re: Shoutout for Antigua - 04/18/2022 06:28 PM

I fully agree with your observations regarding Antigua! I'm in St. Lucia right now and am heading back up to Antigua this coming week. The waves are bigger, the Deep Bay diving/snorkeling miserable and Green Island is one of my all-time favorite locations. The Moorings operation is small but friendly.

[Linked Image]
Anchored off Green Island

Re: Shoutout for Antigua - 04/19/2022 12:37 AM

Thanks to you Zanshin for recommending Antigua earlier this year. As I said, we had a memorable time and built confidence at the same time. We moored quite close to where your boat is anchored above - next time I would just anchor.
Posted By: Carib_Ian

Re: Shoutout for Antigua - 04/22/2022 05:02 PM

I just returned from a land-based holiday in Antigua and I was blown away at how much we enjoyed it. It has really come up in my estimation since my first visit 20 years ago. My favourite spot is English Harbour.

Re: Shoutout for Antigua - 04/24/2022 01:46 PM

I'm setting sail from St. Lucia back to Antigua tomorrow. Conditions are light and it is a 200NM trip. I can't wait to get back and after the Antigua Sailing Week is over I'll spend some days anchored in that same spot.

@Nibj - were the moorings still well-maintained off Green Island?

Re: Shoutout for Antigua - 04/25/2022 02:19 AM

I don’t think I am experienced enough to say much about the moorings. But let’s just say next time I think I will anchor off Green Bay. We got a lot more confident anchoring on this trip.

Re: Shoutout for Antigua - 05/12/2022 08:16 PM

I was back at Green island last week. The moorings are mostly missing and not maintained, anchoring is now the preferred option until that situation gets sorted out. The anchorage remains as pristine and pretty!

[Linked Image]
Posted By: TC42

Re: Shoutout for Antigua - 07/03/2022 12:45 PM

I'm sailing there in August. We are looking forward to sailing and exploring the island. We plan to visit Barbuda for 2 nights as well.

Re: Shoutout for Antigua - 07/07/2022 12:05 AM

Picture brings back good memories. Well worth a visit to Green Island and Barbuda was a real high point.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline