TravelTalkOnline

Big Jim..

Posted By: Carol_Hill

Big Jim.. - 12/08/2017 04:39 PM

Just noticed it is his birthday today. Rest in peace.
Posted By: Jeannius

Re: Big Jim.. - 12/08/2017 06:31 PM

The first TTOLer I met in real life. Sat in his chair at Soggy Dollar enjoying life. Really nice man, sadly gone.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Big Jim.. - 12/08/2017 07:50 PM

Indeed. Big Jim is greatly missed.
Posted By: lindakay

Re: Big Jim.. - 12/08/2017 08:10 PM

I met him on Anegada one time - it turned out we had mutual friends out in the CA desert! Really nice guy!!
Posted By: DanS

Re: Big Jim.. - 12/09/2017 01:45 AM

I remember a thread in which people explained how they picked their TTOL screen names. Jim said, "I'm big".

Dan
Posted By: LauraTheTshirtGal

Re: Big Jim.. - 12/09/2017 03:17 AM

cool dude, never got to meet him in person but his chair at the SD reminds me of him every time....his profile pic was a sketch I remember and people would ask how they would find him in the BVI and he said "I look just like my profile".

on another note something I recently noticed about another TTOL member who has passed, Bill Hartzman....
his Facebook is gone. I only noticed because a FB memory came up recently and his comments were completely gone but people in the conversation were addressing him...weird and too bad.
Posted By: RickinAtlanta

Re: Big Jim.. - 12/09/2017 06:12 PM

I didn't realize that a FB page would just go away. Too bad as I would visit it every now and then as I really liked Bill and Di.
Posted By: LauraTheTshirtGal

Re: Big Jim.. - 12/09/2017 08:19 PM

I don't think they do. I believe someone has to physically delete the account. One of my friends grandmother passed away last year and the husband (not her grandfather) deleted the whole account for reasons unknown. She was devastated that all of her comments and pics were gone. But of course people have their reasons and if a close relative felt the need to so then I guess we will never know.
Posted By: Twanger

Re: Big Jim.. - 12/14/2017 11:01 PM

Yes, I have a couple of Facebook friends that have passed away, but their accounts are still active... for example saildoggie's account is still there.
Posted By: cindyh

Re: Big Jim.. - 12/16/2017 11:53 PM

I don’t have my own Facebook page but use Gene’s daily. I had one friend who couldn’t understand how he was answering things correctly. Turned awfully red when I told her it was me. We have never laughed so hard. Gene had so many closed groups that I enjoy and they would probably never let me in. That’s why I keep it and not bother with one for me.
Posted By: monkey_feet

Re: Big Jim.. - 04/21/2018 02:58 AM

I met big jim a couple times down there. first was at soggy dollar. Just hung out. second time was on Anegada. We had heard that it's a great walk to the Cow Wreck. So, with a single water bottle, we headed out on the road. Little did we know everyone meant the beach. about a tenth of the way there, we were out of water and feeling like it was the march of death. Along drives a jeep and passes us. I look at the drive and think to myself, "is that Big Jim?"

Well, 10 minutes later, the jeep drove back up and i hear a "Jack, is that you? Want a ride?"

Big Jim had saved the lives of my crew and me! Had a great time hanging out in the Cow Wreck with him and his personal tour of Anegada.

Great times with a great guy! RIP Jim. I'm sure you are the big guy reading a book close to shore in Heaven!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline