TravelTalkOnline

CORONA VIRUS

Posted By: jupiter

CORONA VIRUS - 02/26/2020 10:08 PM

This nasty bug is spreading around the globe with potentially serious consequences for all and eventually including residents of and visitors to SXM.
We don't yet know when, where or how it will show up but it will. We do know that it is transmitted easily in aircraft and cruise ships and that it is especially dangerous for us older folks.
We may not be able to rely on local authorities to keep us informed and safe so I'm hoping that this forum will help with info re new cases.
Pay attention to updates from WHO and US CDC.
Posted By: SXMScubaman

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 02/26/2020 10:18 PM

Little over 50 cases in US and over half were from the Cruise ship brought back to US with virus.
Posted By: RonDon

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 02/26/2020 11:49 PM

No need to panic. Take precautions. Wash hands, don't get too close to people, don't touch face, eyes, mouth, nose after opening doors etc. As far as SXM goes my guess would be the biggest threat would be cruise ships so hope the cruise lines and port authority do their job.

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 02/27/2020 12:10 AM

Gargle with Rum. cheers
Posted By: SammyM

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 02/27/2020 03:49 AM

Zero cases as of this morning in St. Martin. Don't allow fear and panic to control you. Cruise ships that have been infected have been traveling in and around the far east. Those ships won't be arriving in St. Martin any time soon, from what I can tell. Yes, this is indeed a coronavirus (named for it's halo shape) and must be taken seriously, but in reality more harm can be done from the panic caused by something like this. Also, this type of virus should not spread as aggressively in warmer and more humid environments. So, St. Martin has that going for it.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 02/27/2020 02:17 PM

Sammy--Diamond Princess is the only ship that for sure had Corona onboard. The other ship, the Westerdam, which supposedly had someone onboard with Corona, the lady tested positive and then negative, so it may have been a false positive, which apparently happens. I think that is the biggest problem so far with this thing, that the test is apparently not very accurate, as there are several instances of negative and then positive AND the opposite, within close proximity in time. And perhaps an even bigger problem, a substantial portion of the people infected are asymptomatic, as in, NO symptoms. So they don't have any idea they have been infected. Ships are not really the biggest risk. It is people, travelling on planes. The Diamond Princess situation supposedly all started from ONE person who was infected, although I kind of wonder about that chronology now. Immigration officials can check for people who have recently been in China, but small cells are popping up everywhere now, such as in Italy. A tourist destination cannot stop everyone from coming in.

"Also, this type of virus should not spread as aggressively in warmer and more humid environments." Really? Where did you get that from?
Posted By: ruralcarrier

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 02/27/2020 02:26 PM

There was a Costa shipped docked a day early in SXM due to not being able to dock elsewhere.

DAILY HERALD ARTICLE
Posted By: SammyM

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 02/27/2020 03:41 PM

Hi Carol ... viruses spread more rapidly and proliferate at a greater rate in cold weather environments because colder air causes nasal passages and upper respiratory tracts to dry out which allows easier attachment by air born viruses. In warmer, humid weather our respiratory systems are more capable to fend off such viruses (that is why some people run humidifiers in their homes in the northern states where the air dries out significantly during the winter months). In addition, viruses are far more stable in cold, dry air because the particles can remain air born longer. In thick, humid air the virus droplets that emerge when someone sneezes will pick up moisture from the air and fall to the ground. Of course, this does not protect us from someone who has touched a door knob or faucet and didn't wash their hands. That is why we must resist touching our faces and rubbing our eyes during flu sneezes. These same principals should apply to a corona virus. It's a different type of virus that is still being understood, but it's still a virus nonetheless.

Where did I get this from? First, from the youngest son who's lab in California works with viruses on a molecular level, and then I e-mailed my pulmonary doctor at the Cleveland Clinic in Ohio to get his thoughts about it and he provided essentially the same response. From what I am interpreting, many of the decisions being made by some countries has been based on fear and xenophobia. Some crazy travel bans have emerged in the Caribbean (like the cruise ship that had one person with a mild case of the flu) not being permitted to make port in Jamaica the other day). Fortunately, Mexico allowed the ship to dock and there was absolutely no corona virus on that ship. I highly doubt that travel bans can effectively prevent outbreaks when they arise; people will simply hide their symptoms from doctors and take medications to make them feel better.
Posted By: Bluesfan

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 02/27/2020 03:45 PM

Originally Posted by SXMScubaman
Little over 50 cases in US and over half were from the Cruise ship brought back to US with virus.

Please state your source. No mention on national news.
Posted By: eightzerobits

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 02/27/2020 03:48 PM

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...-covid-community-spread-case/4889999002/

"The U.S. has confirmed 60 patients, but is alarming because no exposure chain has been found."
Posted By: Tammy

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 02/27/2020 03:57 PM

Bluesfan

This is an accurate source.

https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 02/27/2020 04:02 PM

Again, this really is not about SXM, but a worldwide situation. Moving this to SXM People Talk.

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 02/27/2020 06:31 PM

https://komonews.com/news/local/sea...pSvtzJyFP0iWohTk_AJ-c2nSxZNy7hhGhM1Fl-QQ
Posted By: Snorkeller

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 02/27/2020 07:02 PM

The problem for travelers is not just the risk of getting infected. The bigger problem is being stranded somewhere in quarantine or with other loss of the ability to travel home. Fortunately for us, we are in a lull in our travels until May - and in any case we are moving into full retirement and can risk delay on returning home - but we have many friends who are canceling trips to various places which as of yet have no reported cases because of their need to get back home for various reasons and cannot risk getting stranded somewhere. We also have a travel agent friend who has said that for the last few days all she is doing is arranging cancellations and refunds.

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 02/27/2020 07:24 PM

Very valid point. I cannot imagine if we had been on Diamond Princess, how we would be able to cope with the quarantine. Most of the US passengers on Diamond Princess were probably retired, but even if you're NOT working, can't imagine the disruption to people's lives as a result of the quarantine. ...which is not to say that it wasn't necessary, as it quite obviously was.

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 02/27/2020 07:33 PM

I believe that quarantine caused some passengers to get infected as being on that ship was like a petri dish on water.
Posted By: sxmmartini

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 02/27/2020 07:46 PM

https://www.zerohedge.com/geopoliti...-korea-confirms-505-new-cases-surpassing

Panic... Not yet!

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 02/27/2020 09:01 PM

Agreed, I think a lot of people ended up infected because of bad isolation procedures on the ship. There were a lot of mistakes made all the way around. And officials in Japan are now admitting that.

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 02/27/2020 10:37 PM

If this virus were to break out in SXM does the island have the capability to handle a quarantine?

Bill and Elaine come to mind. Should they wish to return to Conn. because of better health facilities could they be denied entry to US because of an outbreak in the area from which thy'd be coming?

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 02/27/2020 10:54 PM

I really feel there is a lot of fear mongering going on perpetuated by the press and politics. It's affecting the stock market and world economies in an adverse way. Sure the virus is real but the way some people and governments are reacting is over kill.

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 02/28/2020 02:43 PM

Covid-19 is effecting people emotionally more than their lungs.
I still prepare for the worst and hope for the best!
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 02/28/2020 07:04 PM

There were 80,000 reported cases of deaths from the flu last year in the USA, according to the CDC. I really don't think there is room for panic yet. And forget the surgical masks, they are for the people already infected with the flu to prevent spreading the virus through coughing, sneezing, etc. According to the medical news regarding masks, this corona virus can penetrate the masks. So save your money.

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 02/28/2020 08:50 PM

From SXM news
"PREPARE FOR MORE SICK CRUISE SHIP PASSENGERS ST MAARTEN: Cruise ship sails to St. Maarten after COVID-19 scare. HAVANA – A British cruise ship turned away by the Dominican Republic after passengers suffered flu-like symptoms was awaiting approval to dock on the island of St. Maarten on Friday, officials said.

Dominican officials said they barred the Braemar from the Romana cruise port — where the cruise had been scheduled to end — after its captain reported four Filipinos, two British citizens and two U.S. citizens under medical observation for symptoms such as fever, coughing, or breathing difficulty.

EDITED TO REMOVE MOST OF THE POST. In the future, please post a link. You can't copy and paste a whole story. Carol Hill

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 02/28/2020 09:47 PM

https://smn-news.com/st-maarten-st-...ms-of-corona-virus-at-pjiae-updated.html

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 02/28/2020 10:06 PM

I can't red it because of my ad blocker. Oh well.

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 02/29/2020 01:08 AM

OK, not sure why they suspected them to be infected with Corona, but certainly hope they are not. Does SXM even have the ability to test for Corona??

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 02/29/2020 01:52 AM

It's all the media hype causing all this hysteria.
Posted By: LBI2SXM

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 02/29/2020 06:29 PM

News bulletin: 1st death from c-virus in the USA reported.

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 02/29/2020 07:31 PM

Saw that. Not sure where the person came from, maybe someone who was evacuated from China? I don't think anyone from the Diamond Princess was in Washington state..

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 02/29/2020 10:55 PM

The USA has 34 million masks for health care workers but limited test kits???? Monday CDC will give the code for state labs to test for Covid-19 in the past only the CDC was testing for the virus. 10k citizens are self monitoring. This is a wait and see moment. When they can actually tests these people it will be a wake up call to all states to prepare!

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 03/01/2020 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by LBI2SXM
News bulletin: 1st death from c-virus in the USA reported.

Originally Posted by sxmmartini
The USA has 34 million masks for health care workers but limited test kits???? Monday CDC will give the code for state labs to test for Covid-19 in the past only the CDC was testing for the virus. 10k citizens are self monitoring. This is a wait and see moment. When they can actually tests these people it will be a wake up call to all states to prepare!

Heard yesterday that no association was found. Person didn't travel to/from China, didn't go anywhere to come into contact but lives near a nursing home.

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 03/01/2020 03:43 PM

Yes. He was in his ate 50"s with other underlying medical issues.

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 03/01/2020 04:04 PM

Post deleted. Please post links. Carol Hill

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 03/01/2020 04:12 PM

Same article in Herald.
https://www.thedailyherald.sx/islan...-in-st-barths-two-in-st-martin-suspected

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 03/01/2020 04:21 PM

https://www.nbcboston.com/news/loca...ve-positive-case-of-coronavirus/2084048/

New Case in Rhode Island...
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 03/02/2020 02:37 AM

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-death-age-older-people-higher-risk-2020-2

Moratality rates by age bracket and compare to other viruses. Over 50 is 1.somthing% and over 80 is 15%

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 03/02/2020 02:39 AM

https://thedailyherald.sx/islands/t...cted-of-coronavirus-have-tested-negative

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 03/02/2020 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by sxmmartini

Awhile ago hubby received an alumni letter from Saint Raphaels about that trip and I said let's join them but we had already planned a March trip to SXM. There but for the Grace of God.....etc. If I'm gonna get it then let it be because I travelled home from SXM.
Posted By: KenNDeb

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 03/02/2020 11:48 AM

Saw this one this morning.
http://www.sintmaartengov.org/Press...OF-COVID-19-ON-FRENCH-SAINT-MARTIN-.aspx
Posted By: jupiter

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 03/02/2020 04:27 PM

Good reporting KenNDeb!

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 03/02/2020 07:45 PM

Coronavirus deaths in Washington now 6...

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 03/03/2020 06:43 AM

Mostly old people in rest home with compromised health conditions. Fuel the paranoia and hysteria.

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 03/03/2020 06:24 PM

I am limiting my comments on the Corona virus till more is known and testing is being done not just from those that have travelled to hot spots but Country wide testing for the average American who wants to be tested.

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 03/03/2020 06:50 PM

Wendy--there is not currently and there NEVER will be, in my estimation, enough test kits and testing FACILITIES available to test just ANY person that wants to be tested. And considering how many people have been tested and had a negative result and then a positive result, to suggest that everyone be tested that wants to be, without any symptoms or any real chance of exposure, is foolish.

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 03/03/2020 07:07 PM

In New York 30 million dollars is to be used for testing... Hospitals and Doctors are begging the CDC to allow testing without question about the patients travel history. It is crazy to not be able to test average Americans showing symptons because they did not travel to China or Italy.

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 03/03/2020 07:24 PM

There are NOT enough tests available to test those who SHOULD be tested, and there are not facilities to DO the tests. And it would be silly to allocate resources to be able to test EVERYONE. And health insurance companies will NOT pay for it, unless it is medically required. Your first post seemed to indicate that you want anyone to just be able to call up and get a test, regardless of travel OR symptoms.

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 03/03/2020 07:57 PM

18 million Americans have ordered the DNA test kit to see if there is a rich relative they did not know about... LOL
I am amazed that a test kit for Covid-19 is not readily available.

Here is a scary thought. My travels to SXM have been recent while two French Nationals have tested positive for Covid-19.
If I told my Doctor that it would probably warrant a test for the virus....

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 03/03/2020 08:31 PM

This thing is way too new for there to be test kits readily available, particularly that are RELIABLE. I do not really think the DNA test kits that are on the market are particularly reliable. Several years ago, we were silly enough to waste $50 on a DNA test kit on our dog, that we got at a shelter. Even though he weighed 25 pounds soaking wet, his DNA test kit came out that he was a majority a MASTIFF, followed by a small percentage of dachshund. He looks like neither of those breeds in the slightest. Cheap DNA test kits are worth what you pay for them. Cheap Corona tests would not be fun. They would be exceedingly dangerous.

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 03/03/2020 08:48 PM

A Mastiff and Dachshund is a scarey thought how those two dogs could breed. LOL I did say I would curb my hype on Covid-19 so I think it is time to chill... Thanks for the humor in all this!

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 03/03/2020 09:18 PM

Yes, that would be quite the sight! ...although I have a friend who has a dog that actually IS a combination of what he calls 'a very DETERMINED dachshund' (male) and a golden retriever! smile

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 03/04/2020 01:53 PM

Where there is a will there is a way. groovin

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 03/04/2020 11:10 PM

Good news--so far CDC does not list any health problems in SXM except Dengue and Rabies.

Re: CORONA VIRUS - 03/05/2020 12:48 AM

First I've heard about rabies. Was told all the years I've been there that there's no rabies in SXM. Where do you base this info from?
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline