TravelTalkOnline

Braised Short Ribs

Posted By: phillygirl7

Braised Short Ribs - 03/13/2013 11:39 PM

Braised Short Ribs

6 lbs beef short ribs (boneless or with bone)
salt and fresh ground black pepper
1 T olive oil
3 med onions, chopped
4 large garlic cloves
2 C red wine
1 32 oz can tomatoes, smashed or stewed
1 1/2 C water or beef broth
1 zest of orange
fresh thyme and rosemary, to taste
1 t. allspice

Season dry ribs with salt and pepper.

In roasting pan, brown short ribs a few at a time over moderately high heat. Put on separate plate as they are done browning.

In same pan that you browned the ribs, add onions and sweat, add garlic and cook one minute. Add wine, tomatoes, broth, zest, herbs, and more salt and pepper and bring to boil. Add ribs back in and return to boil for a few more minutes.

Reduce heat and simmer, covered, for 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Remainder of braising liquid use as sauce.

Making this for my hubby's birthday, and since it is a favorite of his, thought I would share it here.
Posted By: irina

Re: Braised Short Ribs - 03/15/2013 07:45 PM

This is basically the same way I make them.
You can also use this recipe for lamb shanks or osso buco.
Cheers
irina

Re: Braised Short Ribs - 03/15/2013 11:49 PM

Have not ventured to try osso buco yet, maybe that will be next.
Posted By: caribbeanscout

Re: Braised Short Ribs - 03/18/2013 06:30 AM

sounds delicious! may give this a try with the slow cooker. thanks for posting.

Re: Braised Short Ribs - 03/19/2013 04:41 AM

with the osso buco, I lightly flour them first. Makes the gravy more unctous. But you don't have to.
Go for it!!!!!!!!!!!!
Cheers
irina
PS I use a lunch paper bag. Put the flour, salt and pepper in there and toss the meat. Cleaner that way, then toss the bag and flour.

Re: Braised Short Ribs - 03/19/2013 06:44 AM

The paper bag trick, that's how my dad always made his famous chicken, which we had every Sunday after church. Three chickens to feed 9 kids and mom and dad, and mom always cut up the whole chickens on Sunday before church. His version of "Shake and Bake", he always said, though for him it was shake, fry, and bake. He was also an early bird and usually started peeling potatoes for the Sunday chicken dinner (lunch) at 5:30 a.m. My mom also boiled the giblets to use the stock as part of the gravy. Thanks for the tip and the memories.

Re: Braised Short Ribs - 03/19/2013 03:52 PM

Great story Phillygirl.
Thank YOU!
Cheers
irina
Posted By: SeeDiver

Re: Braised Short Ribs - 03/19/2013 06:43 PM

I have had great results with a similar recipe when making osso bucco.
i often use my Fagor pressure cooker for about 40 minutes instead of the 3 1/2 hours in the oven. let's me make it on a weekday after work.

i'd want to try it with the short ribs, but might need to adjust the cooking time +/- 15 minutes

Re: Braised Short Ribs - 03/19/2013 07:23 PM

Pressure cooker?! Brilliant.
Must try that.
Thanks
irina
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline