TravelTalkOnline

Club Orient: Will it ever re-open?

Posted By: CarlosII

Club Orient: Will it ever re-open? - 06/20/2020 03:07 PM

I haven't seen much lately about Club O and its status. Is re-opening no longer considered a possibility?
We spent some of our best vacations there going back to 1993. We were not able to return after 2000. I know there have been many changes to the beach and the new businesses there and I don't know if that's a good thing or a bad thing.
We loved Orient when you could take a morning and evening stroll the length of the beach without any problems or hassle .The owners of the resort hosted a wine and cheese get together once a week and that was a good mixer for the guests. Dinner at Papagayo's was a delight with the stars out and the moon rising while we enjoyed good food and good conversation with old and new friends.
But I guess Thomas Wolfe was right...you can't go home again. That doesn't mean you can't wish you could.
Posted By: arehouse

Re: Club Orient: Will it ever re-open? - 06/21/2020 01:11 PM

At least we have our memories of some of our best vacations. A week or 2 at Club O was the most relaxing and fun we ever had. Even if it is rebuilt, it’ll never be the same.
Posted By: Bill_S

Re: Club Orient: Will it ever re-open? - 06/22/2020 01:35 AM

We “discovered” Club Orient while we were on our first ever Caribbean cruise around 1996 or so and our last port of call was SXM. We spent about three hours on the beach at club O as first timers and loved it! We made annual vacations staying at club O for many years until the hurricane damage

We miss it terribly. 😢
Posted By: Biturbo

Re: Club Orient: Will it ever re-open? - 06/22/2020 04:15 AM

We know the feeling. After many afternoons on their beach, we finally tried staying there and loved it. We met a lot of nice people, loved dinners at Papagayo. We miss it.
Posted By: Jim_Laraine

Re: Club Orient: Will it ever re-open? - 06/23/2020 03:10 PM

Some Pre Hurricane Luis Club O pics. Miss that place!

Attached picture OB1.jpg

Description: Sand, sand everywhere
Attached picture OB12.jpg
Attached picture OB20.JPG
Attached picture OB26.jpg
Attached picture OB19.jpg

Description: With Gile, Papagayo bartender extraordinaire.
Attached picture JL1_C.jpg

Description: Beach Chalet
Attached picture P000917.JPG
Attached picture OB16.JPG
Posted By: Biturbo

Re: Club Orient: Will it ever re-open? - 06/23/2020 03:26 PM

Great memories. Thanks!
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Club Orient: Will it ever re-open? - 06/23/2020 03:29 PM

It's amazing how much sand there used to be in front of Papagayo!!
Posted By: Jim_Laraine

Re: Club Orient: Will it ever re-open? - 06/23/2020 05:34 PM

Right, remember Cupecoy. Here is circa 1990 and 2020.

Attached picture Cupecoy Sand.jpg
Attached picture IMG_20200129_125140876.jpg
Posted By: BVIslander

Re: Club Orient: Will it ever re-open? - 06/24/2020 08:59 PM

I asked the same question on the SXM Naturism f'book page 2 weeks or so ago. The one answer was:
"Based on a conversation with an owner in February there is still some hope that it will be rebuilt at least in some fashion.
Issues are still being resolved.
The hotel is bankrupt. The owners corporation is not.
Still a matter of waiting and seeing."
Posted By: o2bnsxm

Re: Club Orient: Will it ever re-open? - 06/25/2020 12:13 AM

One can only hope. But being 66 years old, I'm not too confident I'll see it. CLUB O PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG !!!!
Posted By: MarkLandOLakes

Re: Club Orient: Will it ever re-open? - 08/14/2020 05:22 AM

I have known a great number of owners past and present. Many people called this place home. It is so sad. Although, I have been to the beach many times off of cruises, (mostly BN), I only stayed there once for two weeks. I get angry every time I think of all the people that lost so much of themselves when the resort was destroyed. My thoughts and prayers are with everyone that have been affected. Given the situation, going forward, it will be very hard for anyone to ever sell their unit. Knowing that insurance on the French side means paying for insurance but not actually having any coverage. When was the hurricane? 3 years ago. I am moving closer to a nude beach, actually the closet beach to my new home is nude. Every home needs to be on pilings at Club O'.

Typically only 1/3 of the height shows and another 2/3 at least under ground. So at least another 7 meters under ground to the bottom of the pilling. On the south coast of Rhode Island, since the 1970s, beach houses could only be constructed this way. It's really cool when under your house the waves are breaking.(NOT!) The lone house out on the beach was the only house on this beach when my grandparents bought it in the early 1970s, it was nearly destroyed once and in had to go on new pilings. Somehow, it is still standing, the last time I checked. Our family has not owned it since the mid 1980s. Originally we could jump off the deck and not get hurt. The erosion has taken the beach away. During the 1970s one could see the concrete foundations of the houses destroyed during the 1938 hurricane. Even those foundations are no longer. They should be turning old shipping containers into small homes on pilings.

[Linked Image]
Posted By: PelicanPirate

Re: Club Orient: Will it ever re-open? - 08/16/2020 02:28 PM

Best beach to get naked on in the world. Period dot.

Hopes are dimming for a resort rebuild.

The ruins actually aid in keeping the nude beach in front I suspect.

We dont mind the drive in/out.

But will gladly signup when/if they ever rebuild.
Posted By: cranan74

Re: Club Orient: Will it ever re-open? - 04/18/2021 02:00 AM

Visit www.cluborient.com to see the latest news.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Club Orient: Will it ever re-open? - 04/18/2021 02:27 AM

Not really very much information there, and very difficult to find. Look under FAQ, for what little info there is.
Posted By: BVIslander

Re: Club Orient: Will it ever re-open? - 04/21/2021 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Carol_Hill
Not really very much information there, and very difficult to find. Look under FAQ, for what little info there is.

Dig a wee bit deeper in those FAQs: https://www.cluborient.com/rebuild/

"Our goal is to have work begin on site by Fall 2021."
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline