TravelTalkOnline

Just back -- some quick thoughts

Posted By: Carib_Ian

Just back -- some quick thoughts - 04/05/2006 02:56 PM

We just came back from a trip that included a 3-day stay in St. Thomas. Everyone here was very helpful so I thought I would provide some feedback. We really enjoyed St. Thomas. We stayed at Hotel 1929 -- a lovely historic inn within walking distance of the town. Had some great meals at Havana Blu and Tavern on the Water. Bumpa's is good for breakfast. I loved the shopping alleys and cafes. We rented a car from John's Auto and drove around, went to Red Hook to Duffy's Love Shack. Saw Mountaintop for great views. Finished up at the beach bar at the Best Western Emerald Beach.

One morning, we walked up the 99 steps and toured the historic buildings.

On my way to pick the rental car, I stupidly left my camera in the taxi. Well, wouldn't you know, about 20 minutes later, the taxi driver comes back to find us just as we are about to leave. All in all I found St. Thomas to be an intersting place, maybe a bit busy.

It was interesting to meet what I would call "professional beach bums" who would stand on the street trying to send cruise ship passengers to particular shops. And there were also some hustlers trying to get people to go on "free" excursions or claim big prizes. I am not sure what the catch is (timeshares). I didn't have time to find out.

Thanks everyone for your tips.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline