TravelTalkOnline

Passport Cards vs Passport Book

Posted By: oilwench

Passport Cards vs Passport Book - 01/14/2015 10:35 PM

I need to renew my passport and was thinking about just getting the passport card. The US Passport office told me to speak to the British Embassy to find out what the entry requirements are for BVI. So far no one has responded to me through these resources. Has anyone had experience with the card?
Posted By: maytrix

Re: Passport Cards vs Passport Book - 01/14/2015 10:40 PM

I'm surprised that's the response you got given the text here.

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/card.html

Get the book. Even if it was usable (which I'm pretty sure its not) why limit yourself?

EDIT - If you are taking a ferry from St. Thomas to BVI, then I can see why they responded the way they did and it may be accepted. If you were to fly into EIS, then its no good.

Here's something to consider - what if there was an issue that required you get home quickly? And flying out of EIS through San Juan or even to St. Thomas was the fastest method? I think you'd be SOL with the card as it is not good for air travel. While the book is more expensive, its a minimal cost over the 10 years its good for and covers you regardless of where you are.
Posted By: sail2wind

Re: Passport Cards vs Passport Book - 01/14/2015 10:54 PM

To my understanding the card is for people who travel between the islands for a living. Most of the guys in the daysail biz use the cards so the pages don't get filled up with stamps.
Posted By: Kimber

Re: Passport Cards vs Passport Book - 01/15/2015 12:10 AM

That's the reason I use the card.

Re: Passport Cards vs Passport Book - 01/15/2015 12:42 AM

Done. Full passport.
Posted By: jimp1234

Re: Passport Cards vs Passport Book - 01/15/2015 12:56 AM

I renewed my passport recently and decided to get both. Can't remember what the cost difference was though.
Posted By: Ernst

Re: Passport Cards vs Passport Book - 01/15/2015 02:28 AM

The card is $30.- extra. I just sent off my passport for renewal. Even though that's not a lot of $, I did not see the point of it (for me). Would use it very rarely if at all, and it would be yet another thing that I need to keep track of and not lose.

I only ordered the book.
Posted By: RickG

Re: Passport Cards vs Passport Book - 01/15/2015 01:48 PM

We're getting the passport card. Surrendering your passport to add pages is a hassle.

Cheers, RickG
Posted By: Whitesail

Re: Passport Cards vs Passport Book - 01/15/2015 01:58 PM

Passpost card is valid when entering the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. Not valid for international travel by air.

According to US passport info page.

Re: Passport Cards vs Passport Book - 01/15/2015 05:48 PM

RickG, do your research, a card is not always good for entry, especially anywhere other then BVI.
Posted By: maytrix

Re: Passport Cards vs Passport Book - 01/15/2015 06:08 PM

Best bet if you prefer to use the card is to just get both. Then you have the passport book as needed, but can use the card when available.

Re: Passport Cards vs Passport Book - 01/15/2015 06:44 PM

sail2wind said:
RickG, do your research, a card is not always good for entry, especially anywhere other then BVI.

RickG has done his research, he's a very sharp guy. For those of us, like Rick and his wife, that frequently enter into the BVI, all those stamps take up a lot of space and fill up your passport very quickly. Handing them a card instead keeps space in your passport. Entering the US he, or anybody, would use their regular passport which is fine since the US doesn't stamp your PP when you get back home.

Re: Passport Cards vs Passport Book - 01/15/2015 09:08 PM

very true, as long as you have both, or not plan on traveling outside of the virgins

Re: Passport Cards vs Passport Book - 01/16/2015 02:19 AM

I learned a lot - cards are $30, books $110 and both are (obviously) $140. Some people get both to make it easier when traveling by boat but the safest bet is the book.
Thank you all for the insight!

Re: Passport Cards vs Passport Book - 01/16/2015 01:40 PM

Entering the US he, or anybody, would use their regular passport which is fine since the US doesn't stamp your PP when you get back home.

That is news to me. My passport always gets stamped when I get back home.

Your's isn't?
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Passport Cards vs Passport Book - 01/16/2015 02:05 PM

They stamp our Customs form, but not our passports. You have U.S. entry stamps in your passport?

Re: Passport Cards vs Passport Book - 01/16/2015 02:28 PM

Ernst said:

Entering the US he, or anybody, would use their regular passport which is fine since the US doesn't stamp your PP when you get back home.

Your's isn't?

Nope, as a US citizen returning to the US literally hundreds of times, I've never had a stamp put in it by an official of the USA.

Re: Passport Cards vs Passport Book - 01/16/2015 03:20 PM

yes, tons!

EDIT: Sorry, that was in response to tradewinds post. Yes, I do have tons of US stamps in my US passport.
Posted By: Eric_Hill

Re: Passport Cards vs Passport Book - 01/16/2015 03:29 PM

We have had quite a few over the years also. Last trip thru Miami with the kiosk no.

Re: Passport Cards vs Passport Book - 01/16/2015 03:42 PM

Kimber said:
Ernst said:

Your's isn't?

Nope, as a US citizen returning to the US literally hundreds of times, I've never had a stamp put in it by an official of the USA.

That is weird. They always put a stamp in mine. Hm, now that I think of it, I _think_ it is always, maybe I don't notice it if they don't?

Some googling showed a discussion on Flyertalk on this topic: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/usa/1117812-passport-stamps-when-entering-us.html

Looks like this is done inconsistently, some IBP officers stamp, others don't. And some of the people on that forum are disappointed if they don't get a stamp, they want it as souvenir or for tax reasons or whatever. As for me, I don't want stamps; if anything it mildly irks me since the passport fills up. I thought it was bothersome but that's the way it was.

Next time I will ask the officer what is going on.
Posted By: Frank

Re: Passport Cards vs Passport Book - 01/16/2015 05:08 PM

Passpost card is valid when entering the United States from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean and Bermuda at land border crossings or sea ports-of-entry. Not valid for international travel by air.

This is important in that you could drive into Mexico, for example, but need to fly out for an emergency, and your card won't cut it. I have both book and card, but I see the card as a domestic travel backup to my driver's license.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline