TravelTalkOnline

It may be unusually busy in road town

Posted By: warren460

It may be unusually busy in road town - 02/24/2015 10:59 AM

http://www.virginislandsnewsonline.com/e...as-road-harbour
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: It may be unusually busy in road town - 02/24/2015 02:14 PM

I would think sooner or later, they may have to take the passengers off the ship, which would be somewhat of a nightmare, ferry to STT, I guess.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: It may be unusually busy in road town - 02/24/2015 02:32 PM

"Costa Fortuna"???? Gonna cost Carnival a Fortuna! More great PR for them..at least they didnt run into the island..
Posted By: Breeze

Re: It may be unusually busy in road town - 02/24/2015 05:42 PM

I'd consider being stuck in Road Town right about now. At least I'd be warm !

Breeze
Posted By: Annoddddd

Re: It may be unusually busy in road town - 02/25/2015 03:31 AM

Looks like that boat made it out this afternoon.

Any thoughts on why the ships are canceling?

BVI News; 4 cruise ship cancellations
Posted By: warren460

Re: It may be unusually busy in road town - 02/25/2015 04:19 AM

They probably don't want to tender the passengers in. Only a guess.

Re: It may be unusually busy in road town - 02/25/2015 01:44 PM

Could be. Tendering is a real PITA with the huge ships.
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: It may be unusually busy in road town - 02/25/2015 01:48 PM

Jewel of the Seas was scheduled to dock.

Re: It may be unusually busy in road town - 02/25/2015 01:49 PM

The news article seemed to say that the dock was closed all together at the moment. I don't know which one is correct.
Posted By: GlennA

Re: It may be unusually busy in road town - 02/25/2015 03:04 PM

The cruise ship pier is definitely not in usable condition right now.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: It may be unusually busy in road town - 02/25/2015 06:40 PM

This is high season..best time to build the new cruise ship dock..rather than wait til summer??? All fine by me ..the more ships we scare away the better!
Posted By: StormJib

Re: It may be unusually busy in road town - 02/25/2015 07:22 PM

Manpot said:
This is high season..best time to build the new cruise ship dock..rather than wait til summer??? All fine by me ..the more ships we scare away the better!

The business value was always less about the pocket changes the cruise passengers leave behind and much more about the shorter term jobs from the major construction project. Season or No season there would always be a small influential group who would resist any delay in getting the big money, big job project underway. Same with the airport. While there is certainly some ego and national pride behind the project. There is a critical group who just want the jobs today that come with a big public works project.
Posted By: joeandholls

Re: It may be unusually busy in road town - 02/25/2015 09:25 PM

Yep....Natures little secrets......should be "We want the fast cash, and we want it Now!"
Posted By: Uschi

Re: It may be unusually busy in road town - 02/26/2015 03:02 PM

warren460 said:
They probably don't want to tender the passengers in. Only a guess.

Usually people in Wheel-chairs can not go on a Tender, so I am sure that will cause a lot of complains for the Cruise ship

Re: It may be unusually busy in road town - 02/26/2015 04:24 PM

It's not at all just wheelchairs--it takes a TON of time to tender back and forth, as opposed to being able to just walk off the ship. And of course, if there are swells, it can be dangerous, especially with older clientele.
Posted By: beerMe

Re: It may be unusually busy in road town - 02/26/2015 04:42 PM

A couple of months ago I was watching them ferry passengers back and forth with a mix of ships boats and large cats (like the RTFF). Made me wonder if some of big boats were borrowed from one of the local ferry companies or if they were brought in from somewhere else.
Posted By: SoakInSaltwater

Re: It may be unusually busy in road town - 02/26/2015 04:44 PM

I talked to Sky (Sunset Apts). He said, while no one will admit it out loud, it is the tenders that is sending ships to other ports. I also asked if he thought the new pier will be completedeby the April 30 deadline. He just chuckled.

Re: It may be unusually busy in road town - 02/26/2015 04:56 PM

It can take literally HOURS to get everyone off a ship when you have to tender, when you're talking 4000 people, if everyone gets off. And the same is true, getting back on.
Posted By: Winterstale

Re: It may be unusually busy in road town - 02/26/2015 07:03 PM

Tender ports are always a bit of a pain -- and passengers are less than understanding when a port that they have "paid for" has to be skipped due to unsafe tendering conditions - I'm sure the bigger ships would rather avoid them.
Posted By: salica

Re: It may be unusually busy in road town - 02/26/2015 08:28 PM

Have friends who are due to start a cruise in Barbados on March 14. Not sure when it was due to go to Road Town, but yesterday they were contacted to say cruise is being rerouted and no longer going to BVI. Antigua becomes a stop instead. This is obviously going to be a longer term issue.
Posted By: kkls2012

Re: It may be unusually busy in road town - 02/26/2015 11:09 PM

Good....
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline