TravelTalkOnline

water and float proof iphone case

Posted By: JlarsBVI

water and float proof iphone case - 06/03/2015 05:11 PM

Does anyone have any recommendations for iPhone cases that are water proof and/or float proof that they use while sailing? Most people on our charter use their phones as cameras to take pictures throughout the trip and I thought it would be neat to use our phones while snorkeling, at the bubbly pool, floating behind the boat, etc. I've found some options online but thought I would ask here as well. Thanks!
Posted By: ReelG8r

Re: water and float proof iphone case - 06/03/2015 05:24 PM

I used my iPhone in the Lifeproof Nuud case last year while we were down there. Didn't snorkel with it though. Did take some underwater shots, but never had it submerged for too long. I would suggest the GoPro instead.
Posted By: Dlucerne

Re: water and float proof iphone case - 06/03/2015 05:44 PM

this is what I have. I left it in a bowl of water for 30 seconds and it was bone dry. The only drawback I can see is that it does reduce the volume of your voice when you are speaking, requiring you to speak a bit louder

http://www.lifeproof.com/shop/us_en/iphone-6-cases/iphone-6-fre-power-case/
Posted By: onlymedication

Re: water and float proof iphone case - 06/03/2015 06:46 PM

Depends on which iPhone you have.

Here is a very reasonably priced waterproof case for the 6 that I use constantly. I take my phone out racing with us everytime now that I'm confident with using waterproof cases. Add a $10 Bluetooth speaker and we've got tunes all night during Thursday night racing. This case works great, but I wouldn't intentionally submerge my phone with it. I did the papertowel test when I first took it out of the package, left it fully submerged overnight and not a drop of water. But, the phone is too expensive to intentionally submerge it, in my opinion.
$36 iphone 6 waterproof case

Here is a $20 case for the iphone 5/5S. This one I probably would trust for taking underwater pictures with my old iphone 5. Loved this case and used it for a good while before I upgraded to the 6. Wish they still made cases like this for the 6 at a reasonable price.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00B59N...arch_detailpage

Keep in mind most, if not all, of these cases are only rated to 6 or 7 feet of depth. I highly recommend picking one up just to protect your phone if you use it frequently around the water or other harsh environments. I personally wouldn't use one to try and turn my iphone (unless you have an older model that's just sitting in a drawer anyway) into a gopro.

They do (pretty much) all come with lanyards, so you could easily attach a float if you wanted.
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: water and float proof iphone case - 06/03/2015 07:16 PM

I have that Otterbox case and it works fine, more of a precaution if anything.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline