TravelTalkOnline

Overnights in Anegada and JVD with SE winds

Posted By: IowaSailor

Overnights in Anegada and JVD with SE winds - 06/05/2015 06:24 PM

I was wondering how people have experienced overnights in Anegada or JVD with SE winds. Has it been too choppy, noisy or rough for the crew? Or, not that bad? Curious about any and all experiences, thanks in advance!
Posted By: onlymedication

Re: Overnights in Anegada and JVD with SE winds - 06/05/2015 07:35 PM

Can't say I've been to either place during a period of sustained wind from that direction, but we spent a night in the mooring field at Anegada when a pretty good squall came through which lasted at least an hour or so with sustained winds over 30 kts and gusts much higher than that. The winds were mostly from the S during the storm. I don't recall there being any significant chop.
Posted By: Sunnykm

Re: Overnights in Anegada and JVD with SE winds - 06/05/2015 07:38 PM

I slept on the tramp in Anegada in April. About 3am the wind was pretty good and woke me up. I did finally go inside because I was worried I would lose my blanket to the wind.
Posted By: agrimsrud

Re: Overnights in Anegada and JVD with SE winds - 06/05/2015 07:48 PM

I've been at Anegada with the winds from the SE. Not high wind - just the normal low teens. It was pretty choppy. Felt like I had slept in a washing machine. But it was still worth it.
Posted By: CDavis

Re: Overnights in Anegada and JVD with SE winds - 06/05/2015 09:00 PM

Not sure if you are targeting this weekend but we would appreciate anyone's feedback from this evening since we were planning to head over tomorrow morning but this post has me reconsidering it. Thanks in advance for any feedback.
Posted By: cruzdoc

Re: Overnights in Anegada and JVD with SE winds - 06/06/2015 01:46 PM

CDavis,

This may be too late to help you but we had mainly SE winds last week and stayed in Anegada and White Bay without much problem. I had a eight new crew members on this trip and none of them thought it was too rough. Seas in general were pretty calm overall so not sure if it is a good comparison overall.

It was definitely a little choppier than normal at Anegada but not unbearable in the least. White Bay actually seemed slightly better than normal for us although many advise not to overnight in White Bay. Maybe because we didn't swing as much with the consistency of the wind from the open water instead of the changing directions associated with wind coming across the body of JVD.

I don't think I would let it change my itinerary, especially if you have limited days to make your trip work.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Overnights in Anegada and JVD with SE winds - 06/06/2015 02:13 PM

SE winds in either place should not be a issue. The reason some warn against overnights in White Bay JVD is squalls or thunderstorms. You kind of have to ride through one there to understand how quickly things can so bad. When it does go bad boats can quickly end up damaged on the beach or dropped hard on their bottoms in the wave troughs. I only stay there overnight in perfect weather with no chance of evening storms. That means I rarely stay there.
G
Posted By: Warlock

Re: Overnights in Anegada and JVD with SE winds - 06/06/2015 07:50 PM

I spent one night in White Bay and if I had not set a second anchor as a precaution I would have been on the beach...never again...and I anchor almost exclusively...
Posted By: Kimber

Re: Overnights in Anegada and JVD with SE winds - 06/07/2015 06:53 PM

Late to comment but spent last night on Anegada with no issue with SE winds.
Posted By: CDavis

Re: Overnights in Anegada and JVD with SE winds - 06/08/2015 11:43 AM

Thanks for the help
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline