TravelTalkOnline

Planning a 7 day for my wifes 40th

Posted By: prcn

Planning a 7 day for my wifes 40th - 02/01/2017 09:17 PM

I am planning a 7 day cruise for my wifes 40th.
4 couples on a MarineMax 484 Power cat.
Rough itinerary:
Saturday: arrive Hodges Creek Marina and the MarineMax base , provision boat, go out to eat and get ready for a fun week

Sunday: chart briefing in the morning, then to Norman Island, snorkel the Indians, caves, etc, then Willy T’s for drinks etc

Monday: Head to Peter or Cooper Island, Snorkel the wreck of the Rhone, go to Deadmans Bay/Honeymoon Beach, Great Harbor

Tuesday: Go to Leverick Bay, rent car and go to Baths STOP AT HOG HEAVEN,etc, then moor at Saba Rock or Bitter End Yacht Club OR JUST STAY AT LEVERICK,
Wednesday: Steam to Anegada, rent car for day, lobster dinner on beach at Wonky Dogs, maybe try to DIY and catch a Bonefish

Thursday: Head to Little Jost, Sandy Spit, hike to bubbly pool etc

Friday: motor to cane garden bay, try the rum at Callwood Distillery, moor at Great Harbour, dinghy around to Soggy Dollar during the day, dinner at Corsairs and drinks afterwards at Foxys

Saturday: up early head back to marina to catch ferry home

Anything you would drop or add?
This is a first time trip basically for all of us.
Thanks in advance.
Bill
Posted By: Riverfrontbrewer

Re: Planning a 7 day for my wifes 40th - 02/01/2017 10:00 PM

Sunday: I don't think I have ever been there on Sunday, but some will advise against this night.

Thursday & Friday seem a bit hectic. Just my opinion.
Posted By: Orange_Burst

Re: Planning a 7 day for my wifes 40th - 02/01/2017 10:05 PM

I would stay at Leverick

Skip Callwoods Rum - not worth the trip for kerosene.

Is your flight home on Saturday or Sunday?
Posted By: CottageGirl

Re: Planning a 7 day for my wifes 40th - 02/01/2017 10:38 PM

Like Colleen said, stay at Leverick. Make a reservation for a slip ahead of time and enjoy being on the dock.
If the mooring balls are all taken at the Indians, consider getting settled in at Norman for the night and heading to the Indians first thing in the morning. That's what we've done in the past and it seems to work well. If you get up and get going, you can still make Cooper before Noon to avoid the scramble for a mooring ball.
I'd be curious to hear other's opinions about taking a dinghy from Great Harbour to Soggy Dollar and if that's doable.
Posted By: Chriskal

Re: Planning a 7 day for my wifes 40th - 02/02/2017 03:14 AM

Tuesday seems s bit hectic. By the time you get to Leverick, settle in get the car and do all the etceras I don't think your going to feel like taking the boat back out to go to BEYC/Saba. At least I wouldn't.

Saturday: even in a PC it's going to take you awhile to get back to the marina from Great Harbor. Personally I prefer a short ride home that last morning. I like Great Harbor, Peter for the last night as it's a short jaunt across the channel.

Edited to add: looks like fun trip. When are you heading down? And just realized you're not going back to RT so not quite right across the channel.

Re: Planning a 7 day for my wifes 40th - 02/02/2017 01:13 PM

Thanks for all the input.
We are going down July 15-22nd. Flying in and out on Saturday afternoon.
Sounds like staying at Leverick is the way to go. We will probably skip BEYC and Saba.(hopefully there will be a next time!)

How long would it take in a Power Cat at about 10 knots to get back to Hodges Creek Marina from Great Harbour on Jost Van Dyke?

I thought I read where some people moored in Great Harbour and took the dinghy around to Soggy Dollar. Maybe I am wrong. Has anyone done that?
Thanks,
Bill
Posted By: Orange_Burst

Re: Planning a 7 day for my wifes 40th - 02/02/2017 01:29 PM

It depends on what time your flight leaves on Saturday, but you likely need to be on the early ferry going to St. Thomas. The ferries are not very reliable. They might say they will be running certain ferries, but they never happen.

You really need to be at St. Thomas airport 2.5 to 3 hours ahead of your flight.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Planning a 7 day for my wifes 40th - 02/02/2017 01:32 PM

prcn said:How long would it take in a Power Cat at about 10 knots to get back to Hodges Creek Marina from Great Harbour on Jost Van Dyke?

I wouldn't plan on anything less than 2.5 hours.

In good weather you can easily make the trip from Great Harbor to White Bay. Be sure the dinghy is not overloaded and runs well. It's a long drift to Puerto Rico if the engine dies...
Posted By: MarkandMarie

Re: Planning a 7 day for my wifes 40th - 02/02/2017 01:48 PM

We have taken the dingy ride from Great harbor to White bay several times. You are going to get wet... don't do it in the dark. Or walk over the hill from Great Harbor to White BAy, Or take a cab, All good options.
That said... Friday sounds really busy and really far away from Hodges. I would consider Friday at Cooper , Scrub, Marina Cay or Trellis. That's a long ride for a Saturday Morning. Better to end a great vacation in a slower more relaxed fashion. Who wants to rush around and get stressed out?
I might consider dropping Anegada, Do it next time.
M
Posted By: UncleLuff

Re: Planning a 7 day for my wifes 40th - 02/02/2017 02:40 PM

prcn said:

Sounds like staying at Leverick is the way to go. We will probably skip BEYC and Saba.(hopefully there will be a next time!)

I thought I read where some people moored in Great Harbour and took the dinghy around to Soggy Dollar. Maybe I am wrong. Has anyone done that?
Thanks,
Bill

You can still go to Saba rock and BEYC using the Saba Rock ferry or dinghy over if the bay is calm. We did this last year on our second day. IT was a wet ride but worth it. we also stopped off and had some beer and snacks at Vixin point. had the whole beach to our selves! Saba Rock is a really cool place and not to be missed even if you are on the slip at Leverick.

We also dinghied over to White Bay from Great Harbour. We had four adults in the dinghy. As previous posters commented, make sure you do this during day light and give your self lots of time to get back.
Posted By: 3waller

Re: Planning a 7 day for my wifes 40th - 02/02/2017 05:24 PM

Riverfrontbrewer said:
Sunday: I don't think I have ever been there on Sunday, but some will advise against this night.

Thursday & Friday seem a bit hectic. Just my opinion.

I was there last Sunday night(first time in BVIs). I thought it was a good mix of people. Lots of locals via assorted power boats, mixed with the chartering crowd, young and old. Locals seemed to start thinning out around 9-10pm. Everyone seemed to coexist nicely. Get your food order in EARLY. If you don't like loud and crowded (not necessarily my scene but I can enjoy it occasionally), this may not be the night for you.
Posted By: BaardJ

Re: Planning a 7 day for my wifes 40th - 02/02/2017 06:54 PM

prcn said:
I am planning a 7 day cruise for my wifes 40th.
4 couples on a MarineMax 484 Power cat.
Rough itinerary:
Saturday: arrive Hodges Creek Marina and the MarineMax base , provision boat, go out to eat and get ready for a fun week

Sunday: chart briefing in the morning, then to Norman Island, snorkel the Indians, caves, etc, then Willy T’s for drinks etc

Monday: Head to Peter or Cooper Island, Snorkel the wreck of the Rhone, go to Deadmans Bay/Honeymoon Beach, Great Harbor

Tuesday: Go to Leverick Bay, rent car and go to Baths STOP AT HOG HEAVEN,etc, then moor at Saba Rock or Bitter End Yacht Club OR JUST STAY AT LEVERICK,
Wednesday: Steam to Anegada, rent car for day, lobster dinner on beach at Wonky Dogs, maybe try to DIY and catch a Bonefish

Thursday: Head to Little Jost, Sandy Spit, hike to bubbly pool etc

Friday: motor to cane garden bay, try the rum at Callwood Distillery, moor at Great Harbour, dinghy around to Soggy Dollar during the day, dinner at Corsairs and drinks afterwards at Foxys

Saturday: up early head back to marina to catch ferry home

Anything you would drop or add?
This is a first time trip basically for all of us.
Thanks in advance.
Bill

Bill - You'll find that 7 days is just not enough time, but you'll be able to cover a lot of distance with the PC, and especially if you are willing to get going early in the morning. In mid July, sunrise is 5:50 am and sunset is 7:00 pm.

Here's my suggestion:
Sun: Assuming you are able to depart by Noon, head to North Sound with snorkel stop enroute.
Noon - 1 pm: 8.1 nm to George Dog or Great Dog
1 - 2 pm: snorkel
2 - 3 pm: 5.9 nm to Vixen Pt, Prickly Pear Island
3 - 5 pm: dinghy to beach
5:30 pm: moor at BEYC or Saba Rock

Mon: 15 min AM motor to Leverick Bay. Suggest to dock so you can quickly top of water tanks before you depart.
Rental truck to Hog Heaven (if planning to eat, stop here on the return trip).
Continue to The Baths (bring NPS permit).
On return, quick stop at Coppermine Mine Pt.
Dinner at the Restaurant at Leverick Bay (if opened in July)

Tue: 14.2 nm to Anegada (2 hrs by the time you're moored or anchored). Get underway early to maximize your beach time.
Rent truck from D&W or Anegada Reef Hotel.
Lots of opinions on favorite beach bar, but I would stop for a drink at Cow Wreck, then have lunch at Anegada Beach Club.
If you want to snorkel and the swell is down, continue mid-afternoon on the north shore dirt road (if permitted by rental company, otherwise back track along south road and past the airport) to Flash of Beauty.
Return south through Settlement and back to anchorage.

Wed: 25.9 nm to Diamond Cay, JVD (<3 hrs). Again an early start is recommended.
Dinghy to Foxy's Taboo, then short hike to Bubbly Pool.
Mid-afternoon visit to Sandy Spit or Sandy Cay (30 minutes to hike around the Cay).
Continue 3 nm to mooring or anchor in Great Harbour, JVD. Dinner ashore.
Top off water in GH, if needed.

Thu: AM dinghy to White Bay, JVD.
(You can then continue the 5.5 nm to Cane Garden Bay and spend the night there. I would skip CGB, and have more time to explore Norman, Peter, Salt Island area).
Motor 10.0 nm (1~1.5 hr) from GH, JVD to The Indians
(Stop enroute in Sopers Hole for provisioning at Harbour Market, if needed, or souvenir and gift shopping, if desired).
Snorkel the Indians, continue to The Caves for snorkeling. Moor at The Bight. Drinks at Willy-T.

Fri: 7.2 nm (<1 hr) to The Rhone, Salt Island. I wouldn't rush to get there earlier than 10 am for best light. If you arrive early, anchor off the settlement and dinghy ashore to explore the salt pond and graves.

In the afternoon, backtrack 2.5~3.5 nm to Deadman's Bay (anchor) or Great Harbour (mooring), Peter Island, or continue 1.5 nm to Manchioneel Bay, Cooper Island.
Ashore you have dinner options at Peter Island Resort (dinghy to Deadman's Bay beach), Oceans 7 Beach Club in Great Harbour, and Cooper Island Beach Club.

Sat: 30 minute (4~4.7 nm) to Hodge's Creek Marina

Re: Planning a 7 day for my wifes 40th - 02/02/2017 09:00 PM

Thanks for so many great replies. You guys and gals are a LOT of help!!! I am so excited about this trip that I find myself reading something about it almost everyday on the internet.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline