TravelTalkOnline

ciguatera in BVI?

Posted By: snorklerr

ciguatera in BVI? - 03/08/2017 09:07 PM

Does anyone know if there has been any trouble with this recently in BVI?
Thanks, Ron
Posted By: captmoby

Re: ciguatera in BVI? - 03/08/2017 11:56 PM

I haven't heard anything lately, that said if you just follow the many guidelines you can find online like the type of fish and size of the different types of fish you will be OK.
Posted By: Maria_and_Steve

Re: ciguatera in BVI? - 03/09/2017 12:25 PM

Ciguatera occurs throughout the islands, but mostly in all the islands north of Guadeloupe, including the BVI's. For the islands south of Guadeloupe most fish are considered safe to eat.

Barracuda are to be avoided everywhere, even though the locals can eat them without problems.
Posted By: Cleobeach

Re: ciguatera in BVI? - 03/09/2017 03:45 PM

Maria_and_Steve said:
Ciguatera occurs throughout the islands, but mostly in all the islands north of Guadeloupe, including the BVI's. For the islands south of Guadeloupe most fish are considered safe to eat.

Barracuda are to be avoided everywhere, even though the locals can eat them without problems.

We were on Barbuda in January and after several days, gave into the temptation to eat barracuda. The locals insisted it was safe as they only eat the ones caught well off-shore.

My husband and I thought it was delicious (it was on the menu almost every day) but I didn't allow my son to eat it. I was just paranoid enough to avoid exposing him to any potential issues.

So far, so good........
Posted By: CGB

Re: ciguatera in BVI? - 03/09/2017 07:48 PM

I feel the need to weigh in here....

More than a decade on-island....
NEVER heard mention of anyone falling victim

I know, full well, the issue
And - in other places (ie/ countries)- have steered clear of my own "catch"

But - have no reason to have concern on Tortola
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline