TravelTalkOnline

Prepay Fuel at Sunsail?

Posted By: fstorms

Prepay Fuel at Sunsail? - 05/27/2017 11:09 AM

Hey team,

It's been two years since our last charter and it looks like you now have the option of prepaying fuel at Sunsail at 45/day (so $315 for the 6.5 day charter). I never paid close attention in the past to fuel since it was included - as long as the gauges were above half we were fine.

Is it worth the cost to prepay? For those that have chartered a ~44 foot cat, how much fuel have you burned in dollars after a week? We run AC at night and during lunch stops, plus the usual amount of sailing: 3-4 hours per day. No crazy long motors except maybe to avoid beating up from St. John to Norman.

If y'all are burning 200+ dollars in a week, it might be worth saving the aggravation of rushing to fill up at the end and not worrying about it.

Thanks very much!
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Prepay Fuel at Sunsail? - 05/27/2017 11:35 AM

You will burn 55 to 75 gallons a week if you run the genset 10 hours a day.
G
Posted By: fstorms

Re: Prepay Fuel at Sunsail? - 05/27/2017 03:08 PM

Perfect, just what I needed to know. Thanks.
Posted By: jphart

Re: Prepay Fuel at Sunsail? - 05/27/2017 03:35 PM

I would not pre-pay.
Like Vegas, Avis, Hertz, etc. they have figured the odds in the house's favor!

You will pull into the fuel dock anyway.
Posted By: warren460

Re: Prepay Fuel at Sunsail? - 05/27/2017 05:30 PM

We just finished 2 weeks on our lagoon 450. Lots of generator use for air conditioning. Lots of motoring due to light winds. Consumed 80 Gallons of diesel. Cost was $290.
Posted By: ggffrr11

Re: Prepay Fuel at Sunsail? - 05/28/2017 12:22 AM

A factor that we always look at is departure time. If you need to head to the ferry/airport on an early basis, you run the risk of being 3rd or 4th in line at the fuel dock on departure day. This pre-pay luxury may cost you $100 extra, but may allow you to stay out at anchor/mooring an extra night.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline