TravelTalkOnline

What next?

Posted By: pk5352

What next? - 09/06/2017 10:50 PM

As I sit far away watching the devastation being wrought on a place that has provided me and my family so much, I can only start to wonder what I can do to help. Besides the usual suspects, I would very much like to know where I can give money, time, whatever, to help with what will surely be a difficult recovery. Thoughts?
Posted By: pbmonk

Re: What next? - 09/06/2017 10:54 PM

I'm glad you asked this question. I'd like to know what reputable charities are active helping people in the BVIs.
Posted By: Lenair

Re: What next? - 09/06/2017 11:00 PM

We suspect our charter next month will be cancelled. Providing our flights are not also cancelled we plan to go help.
Posted By: pk5352

Re: What next? - 09/06/2017 11:29 PM

I would consider trying to be on island to help as well if it were a possibility. I am self-employed at the moment and would feel a whole lot better giving my time to helping some sort of recovery. If you hear of opportunities, please let me know.
Posted By: SeanS

Re: What next? - 09/07/2017 03:07 AM

Bumping this back up to the top. We know it is still early and we don't know the full extent of the damage, but we want to know what we can do to help from afar. If anyone knows reputable charities that will directly support recovery efforts in the BVI, please post.

Sean
Posted By: rita_irvine

Re: What next? - 09/07/2017 03:58 AM

https://www.youcaring.com/virgingordacommunity-940410
Please consider donating to this fund. This is a legit deal, Casey McNutt of Dive BVI has started it.
Posted By: lonewolf1977

Re: What next? - 09/07/2017 12:58 PM

Thanks for sharing that, Rita. Would love any other suggestions from folks that live on island as to where we can send money. For those of us that can't be there to rebuild, I know that money is going to be necessary for a long, long time. We want to help. More specifically, if there are other supplies we can ship, I'm happy to do that too.
Posted By: KirkB

Re: What next? - 09/07/2017 07:30 PM

I just saw this posted on thehulltruth ... BVI Relief Effort
Posted By: bvilovercgb

Re: What next? - 09/08/2017 04:41 PM

Sir Richard Branson has set one up, sorry do not have the link, but it was on ABC news this morning. One must be careful.
Posted By: DoubleTrouble71

Re: What next? - 09/08/2017 04:51 PM

PK5352 - I would volunteer time as well. My company gives 5 days of paid time for volunteer work (although I may use some to help with Harvey in Houston). After 5 years of going each summer to the VIs, I feel connected there.

If you hear of any groups organizing to go, please do post here. I'd gladly join.
Posted By: Lenair

Re: What next? - 09/08/2017 05:47 PM

DoubleTrouble71 said:
PK5352 - I would volunteer time as well. My company gives 5 days of paid time for volunteer work (although I may use some to help with Harvey in Houston). After 5 years of going each summer to the VIs, I feel connected there.

If you hear of any groups organizing to go, please do post here. I'd gladly join.

I am also interested to hear about groups going down to help.
Posted By: Twanger

Re: What next? - 09/08/2017 06:00 PM

I've reached out a little, with not much response.
I suspect that with lines down, poor comms, and people busy just trying to stay alive that response would be slow.
I'd definitely do a charter vacation down there ASAP combined with some work to help the island recover.

I'm committed to help Make The Virgin Islands Great Again! (to steal a phrase).
Posted By: bagsarepacked

Re: What next? - 09/08/2017 06:23 PM

I am scheduled to be in STT/ST John in Nov and would love to lend a hand also where needed
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline