TravelTalkOnline

AT&T cell towers

Posted By: jagmansr

AT&T cell towers - 11/15/2017 03:07 PM

We will be in the BVI in 3 weeks. In the past, AT&T cell's strength from St John was strong enough it worked in a lot of the BVI for us. I used to get international service but AT&T became doable for me. Does anyone know if their towers are up and operating?
Posted By: CaptainJay

Re: AT&T cell towers - 11/15/2017 03:47 PM

The coral bay tower is currently not working. That is likely the one you where picking up. I would not count on it. ATT has a 10 a day day pass that will allow your phone to work like stateside it will be your best option.

Jay
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: AT&T cell towers - 11/15/2017 04:04 PM

I will be in CGB on Friday and can give you a better report. When I left in October, the ATT signal was visible in CGB but not strong enough for anything other than texting and short phone calls. In West End it was better but still not great.

I plan to add a 30 day international plan but that's mostly so I can use data while in Road Town where AT&T has never worked.

Hopefully it's improved, but I wouldn't count on it.
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: AT&T cell towers - 11/15/2017 05:47 PM

I was able to pick an AT&T signal from STJ while in Sopers Hole a few weeks ago. I doubt it would reach Cane Garden Bay.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: AT&T cell towers - 11/15/2017 06:23 PM

For some reason my T Mobile US phone worked on Tortola and my Lime didnt..go figure
Posted By: Kupe

Re: AT&T cell towers - 11/15/2017 09:56 PM

We had solid ATT coverage in White Bay JVD prior to Irma. Anyone been there to evaluate current signal in White Bay?
Posted By: jandreas

Re: AT&T cell towers - 11/16/2017 05:44 PM

Google's "Project Loon" balloons are flying over the BVIs (and PR, STT, STX) at 64K feet. If you can activate Band 8 on your cell phone it should work.
Posted By: TomSW

Re: AT&T cell towers - 11/16/2017 05:56 PM

How do you activate Band 8? On an iPhone?
Posted By: kneafseym

Re: AT&T cell towers - 11/16/2017 08:07 PM

Tom, I was chatting with my friend google, it seems like the update will be downloaded if in the PR area. web page
Posted By: YachtReprise

Re: AT&T cell towers - 11/18/2017 02:14 AM

Just got back a few days ago. Had cell service everywhere - from VG to STT using the $10/day international service with ATT. If for some reason you have actual ATT connections on STJ and STT for an entire day, the $10 is not charged. A great deal!
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: AT&T cell towers - 11/19/2017 04:47 PM

AT&T service is improved in Cane Garden Bay. I am seeing 3 bars of LTE service at times. Jost Van Dyke should be at least this good and West End appeared pretty good when we went by on the ferry. The signal died around Nanny Cay when we were on the ferry.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline