TravelTalkOnline

Transporting Personal Power Tools

Posted By: SusieBL

Transporting Personal Power Tools - 11/21/2017 04:44 PM

Heading down for the holidays, planning to help my parents rebuild our home. My husband would prefer to use his personal drills etc., and is interested in bringing them along. My concern is if we pack them in checked luggage, they might go missing during our layover in Miami on our way to STT. Have any of you had issues with security in layovers? Would power drills even be allowed on carry-on luggage if that is the preferred way to transport them? Thank you!
Posted By: GlennA

Re: Transporting Personal Power Tools - 11/21/2017 06:00 PM

Probably asking for trouble in carry on but I have had no trouble with theft from checked bags in MIA or STT and I usually check a lot of valuable toys. San Juan is another matter.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Transporting Personal Power Tools - 11/21/2017 06:06 PM

TSA list of allowable tools and household items Looks like you'd have problems in carry on with most any tool. As far as checked, if you DON'T go through SJU you may be OK, but these days I'd probably be worried in STT also.. Things can be stolen from checked bags even after you land at your destination.
Posted By: StormJib

Re: Transporting Personal Power Tools - 11/21/2017 07:09 PM

Never travel with anything you cannot afford or are unwilling to lose. Note the value of what you pack and the insurance available to you if the item is lost.

Always check the types and limits on batteries of anything you check or carry on.

"Lithium batteries with 100 watt hours or less may be carried in a device in either carry-on or checked bags. Loose lithium batteries are prohibited in checked bags. For more information, see the FAA regulations on batteries."

Then consider the weight. Tools and Batteries = Heavy
Posted By: sail445

Re: Transporting Personal Power Tools - 11/21/2017 08:48 PM

You can ship it UPS or FedEx but it would be cheaper to purchase the tools in STT and ferry them over.

Re: Transporting Personal Power Tools - 12/17/2017 12:49 PM

I see the customs fees were waived from September 21st until December 21st on items being imported to help with the rebuilding of BVI. Does anyone have any information on whether or not the end date was extended? Thank you
Posted By: tpcook

Re: Transporting Personal Power Tools - 12/18/2017 04:21 PM

I understand this has been extended but do not know the new date.
As far as tools I have had no problems bringing tools with me. Make sure your USA insurance will cover lost baggage or partial losses.

Re: Transporting Personal Power Tools - 12/18/2017 07:05 PM

Thanks. We are now bringing new tools, as well as the personal ones my husband is planning to bring, because the ones at our place went missing after Irma. We will bring receipts, but I was wondering if I will be expected to pay duty on the new tools. The initial news release on September 21st announced that until December 21st items used for rebuilding would have customs fees waived. I can't seem to locate an official update with a new later end date posted, if indeed an extension was granted.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline