TravelTalkOnline

cruise ships

Posted By: agrimsrud

cruise ships - 12/27/2017 01:33 AM

I note from the cruise schedule that there were 3 large ships on Tortola today and three more tomorrow. I'm curious as to what 5000 people can do on Tortola in it's current condition. Heck... I would think 5K people even before the hurricanes would have been a stretch.
Posted By: Eric_Hill

Re: cruise ships - 12/27/2017 12:42 PM

I am not sure that list is correct. The port authority did not have a listing at all. I found this list to link to, but I think it was a listing from pre Irma.
Posted By: casailor53

Re: cruise ships - 12/27/2017 02:06 PM

according to VINO (http://www.virginislandsnewsonline....port-today-taxi-drivers-thankful-hopeful) there were two, with a capacity of 2k pax. The bigger question is where they went, as Cane Garden Bay is closed for swimming due to water quality issues.
Posted By: aarpskier

Re: cruise ships - 12/27/2017 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by casailor53
according to VINO (http://www.virginislandsnewsonline....port-today-taxi-drivers-thankful-hopeful) there were two, with a capacity of 2k pax. The bigger question is where they went, as Cane Garden Bay is closed for swimming due to water quality issues.

One of a couple similar comments to the linked article says:

"They are bringing them here to the beach obviously not warning them
About the water as they are all
Swimming. All it takes is having an open wound or cut getting infected & losing part of that limb. Guess no one is advising to Not swim in the water. Sad"
Posted By: sail445

Re: cruise ships - 12/27/2017 11:58 PM

With the X-Mas winds and the currents most of the waters around the islands should be flushed out of contaminates.
The good thing about the small islands is the water circulation.
It’s important you don’t swim after prolonged heavy rains for at least two days.
Posted By: GlennA

Re: cruise ships - 12/28/2017 03:50 AM

I understand they are not taking the cruise visitors to CGB or Brewers. They have set up temporry facilities at Long Bay, Beef Island and dumping most of them there. The locals consider Long Bay to be "their beach" and some are not happy.
Posted By: agrimsrud

Re: cruise ships - 12/28/2017 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by GlennA
I understand they are not taking the cruise visitors to CGB or Brewers. They have set up temporry facilities at Long Bay, Beef Island and dumping most of them there. The locals consider Long Bay to be "their beach" and some are not happy.

If the locals are unhappy I guess we're back to normal. I was thinking they might be a little happy to see some tourist dollars arrive. Certainly when I was there start on November there was a different attitude (much nicer).
Posted By: GlennA

Re: cruise ships - 12/28/2017 02:20 PM

Long Bay should have been developed long ago to take pressure off of CGB but local objections stopped any development. Instead, the government sunk millions into trying to make a silk purse out of the Brandywine sow's ear. Maybe now that the camel has his nose under the tent that will change.
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: cruise ships - 12/28/2017 04:10 PM

Glenn, they picked up your post from Facebook at the bottom of this article:
http://www.virginislandsnewsonline....eef-island-the-new-hot-spot-for-tourists
Posted By: Manpot

Re: cruise ships - 12/28/2017 05:42 PM

Good to know they pay attention to TTOL...Glenn should remind them that he sent that ferry study to Dr Smith while he is about it..thanks for all your hard work Prof.
Posted By: casailor53

Re: cruise ships - 12/28/2017 10:44 PM

VINO is crap. Yes, they pay attention to facebook, because they use random posts to base-upon or pad-out their stories. Julian Willock has an agenda.
Posted By: Winterstale

Re: cruise ships - 01/04/2018 01:04 PM

Carnival just announced that their first ship back to St. Thomas will arrive on January 9.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline