TravelTalkOnline

Power??

Posted By: Manpot

Power?? - 12/28/2017 08:15 PM

I see power poles going up in Little Apple Bay...
Posted By: ski2play

Re: Power?? - 12/28/2017 08:19 PM

That is good news indeed! Little by little, can't wait till they start setting poles on the east end of Jost too!
Posted By: BVIslandGirl

Re: Power?? - 01/04/2018 06:44 AM

Malcolm!!!!! Miss you guys!! xxoo GT :-)
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Power?? - 01/04/2018 01:09 PM

Coming down again next week, but no word yet on power. Our Generac works like a charm, so that’s good. Otherwise no real progress on rebuilding.
Posted By: SusanZ

Re: Power?? - 01/04/2018 08:04 PM

Libby! they have started out east. but I imagine SGE will be last.... frown
Posted By: ski2play

Re: Power?? - 01/04/2018 08:41 PM

Hurray that they are starting East on Jost, and yes, it makes sense that Sandy Ground Estates is last. No worries there!

Power or no power, we will be down in two weeks. See you then Susan!
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Power?? - 01/05/2018 03:46 PM

There is power in CGB from Hodges gas station to the school. Not all the houses (us included) are connected yet but the lines are run and energized.
Posted By: LauraTheTshirtGal

Re: Power?? - 01/05/2018 06:53 PM

Myett's just posted on Facebook they have power
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Power?? - 01/05/2018 08:13 PM

Wow, 4 months, in the middle of Cane Garden Bay.. Wow..
Posted By: SoggyDollarScott

Re: Power?? - 01/06/2018 04:57 AM

I apologize to all. I am a Journeyman Lineman with over 30 years experience. I offered to volunteer 2 weeks of my time to come over and help rebuild the power system, but my offer was rejected as they wanted a minimum 2 months of my time. Mind you this was volunteering, as in not being paid. I don’t know too many people that can walk away from their job for 2 months without taking some kind of financial hit. So as I read about the amazement that it has taken months and months to get power restored, I am not amazed in the least. To those in charge of volunteerism, I say shame on you.
Posted By: RickinAtlanta

Re: Power?? - 01/06/2018 03:22 PM

I retired in 2016 after 41 years with Georgia Power and am still amazed at the very primitive construction and maintenance of the electrical distribution in the BVI's and for that matter Puerto Rico as well. Hopefully this re-construction and the fact that many utilities from other areas were/are on island to help rebuild will have it done properly.

It's a shame that your volunteering two weeks on your own dime was ignored!
Posted By: GlennA

Re: Power?? - 01/06/2018 03:46 PM

I do hope they are attempting a little modernization and bringing things up to a minimum standard. All of Little Apple Bay/Capoons Bay from Sugar Mill to the top of Long Bay Hill is suppied by one transformer at the bottom of Zion Hill. I found only one fuse cutout in the whole area and the rats nests at the top of each pole and service drops draped over bushes are a sure way for anything more than a light breeze to cause a dead short kill power to the entire village. Carot Bay was the same except there were 2 transformers.
Posted By: bagsarepacked

Re: Power?? - 01/09/2018 03:06 AM

Soggy....we have someone in common.... you know and travel with my cousin Linda. I saw her while she was in Illinois visiting her folks and she told me about your volunteer offer and reject. What a shame!
I had to laugh while at dinner we were talking about the BVI and she said my friend Soggy Dollar SCOTT and I was like...hey! I know that name. Small world

Re: Power?? - 01/09/2018 06:22 PM

Seems we have power back at CRC..yahoo! Now if the insurance would just pay up their meager settlement....
Posted By: juniormints

Re: Power?? - 01/09/2018 08:38 PM

Hi Mal, great news!!! I will be joining friends on the 9th of February. Do you know if there is power on Zion hill?

Re: Power?? - 01/10/2018 05:16 PM

I believe they brought the power over the hill from the south shore so it should be there..sorry we'll miss you as we plan to return Feb 27..love to all of you.
Posted By: GlennA

Re: Power?? - 01/10/2018 11:38 PM

Romney Park/Cartpath area should have power available. The transformer is at the top of Zion Hill where the main feeded line from Pockwood Pond turns north down to the Little Apple transformers cross from the school. Whether they have got wire and service drops all the way back up into Romney Park is a different matter.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline