TravelTalkOnline

Airport expansion cost increases by over $95M

Posted By: tradewinds

Airport expansion cost increases by over $95M - 01/03/2018 07:44 PM

Well of course it has.....

http://bvinews.com/new/airport-expansion-cost-increases-by-over-95m/
Posted By: agrimsrud

Re: Airport expansion cost increases by over $95M - 01/03/2018 08:21 PM

Where does the BVI get $1B? Is the UK going to lend/give them some recovery funds or are they going to have to go out onto the financial market and sell bonds? Any other solution?
Posted By: tpcook

Re: Airport expansion cost increases by over $95M - 01/03/2018 11:25 PM

Best thing for the BVI is if the UK government comes in to run the BVI. Then they can put fiscal restraints on the spending and determine where the money is going. Right now the government is broken, the insurance companies are not responding and the banks have no idea how to handle the problems they have. No one wants to make a decision and the managers are overloaded if they even have the ability to manage.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Airport expansion cost increases by over $95M - 01/04/2018 12:15 AM

No idea regarding the BVI, but Dutch SXM is getting 550M Euros from the Dutch government, but with BIG restrictions as far as use of the funds, which is really smart on the part of the Dutch government.
Posted By: denverd0n

Re: Airport expansion cost increases by over $95M - 01/04/2018 02:51 PM

Agree, Carol. If I were a British citizen, I would certainly want to see the government use tax money to help the people of the BVI. But I most certainly would NOT want my tax dollars going to an over-priced airport expansion plan! The smart thing is what the Dutch did -- turn over the money with enough strings attached, to make sure it really gets spent on relief.

As a US citizen, this really applies to relief in Puerto Rico. They had serious financial issues before the hurricanes. I have no problem with my tax dollars going to help with hurricane relief. I have a BIG problem if my tax dollars are spent to cover the backsides of the Puerto Rican politicians who created the financial crisis down there before the hurricanes hit. Unfortunately, I have no confidence at all that this is not exactly what is going to happen!
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Airport expansion cost increases by over $95M - 01/04/2018 03:23 PM

Actually, there was quite a big hoo-ha in SXM over the Dutch funding, as the government fell in SXM because the idiot politicians in power were refusing to accept the Dutch conditions of giving the money, because they thought the Dutch weren't really serious or something. SXM politicians have a big reputation for having their hands in the cookie jar, and the Dutch weren't having it, this time. As far as Puerto Rico, wow, that's just a whole 'nother thing!!! duh
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline