TravelTalkOnline

Navigation between Mosquito and VG

Posted By: bkaushansky

Navigation between Mosquito and VG - 03/21/2018 07:25 PM

Heading down for 7th trip shortly. Would like to take the passage between the Mosquito and VG. Anyone with first hand tips? FYI, Helia 44 Cat, draft. 3.8 ft / 1.15 m

Thanks much.
Boris
Posted By: HoosierDaddy

Re: Navigation between Mosquito and VG - 03/21/2018 07:52 PM

Take your time. Have good midday light. And use polarized glasses.
I did it with a 6.5' draft monohull.
The charter company must have had a GPS tracking system on the boat because the debriefer asked me three time if I went aground. Don't know if they were asking about the cut you are thinking of or the anchorage in Anegada where we bumped into and settled in the mud bottom twice each day when the tide dropped to low tide.
Posted By: Orange_Burst

Re: Navigation between Mosquito and VG - 03/21/2018 07:55 PM

A lot of charter boats have this red lined, so be sure to check with your charter company. It's not that far to go around, your on vacation, why take the chance?
Posted By: bkaushansky

Re: Navigation between Mosquito and VG - 03/21/2018 08:09 PM

Colleen,
Taking family on this trip so the sooner I get to port, the sooner the cocktails flow wink

Actually, looking at the shorter passage as a work around if the winds are unfavorable and I need to motor. Wanted to limit upwind engine time.

B.
Posted By: FRANKIE2

Re: Navigation between Mosquito and VG - 03/21/2018 08:16 PM

If you are on your own boat, you can take any risk you want. If this is a charter boat and the cut is redlined by the company, you will be responsible for any damages or the whole boat if lost. Is it really worth it??
Posted By: Steve27

Re: Navigation between Mosquito and VG - 03/21/2018 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by bkaushansky
Colleen,
Taking family on this trip so the sooner I get to port, the sooner the cocktails flow wink

Actually, looking at the shorter passage as a work around if the winds are unfavorable and I need to motor. Wanted to limit upwind engine time.

B.

WOW! Being cheap is one thing but to possibly endanger your passengers and the boat is absolutely irresponsible! That cut if not timed right is very shallow with a reef. Seriously motoring takes about an additional 15 minutes to go around.
Posted By: TWB

Re: Navigation between Mosquito and VG - 03/21/2018 09:56 PM

The charter company I used to use, said you could do it in a cat but not a monohull. Went through twice on Lagoon 410's. First time went right on through no big deal. The second time the sun was high and I could see how close the bottom was. I was a nervous wreck. Haven't done it since.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Navigation between Mosquito and VG - 03/21/2018 10:45 PM

It used to carry 6 feet at low tide if you did everything right. After the storm all bets are off!
G
Posted By: TWB

Re: Navigation between Mosquito and VG - 03/21/2018 10:56 PM

I know the last time I went through the depth meter showed 3+ feet under keel the whole way. I was nervous about hitting "that one coral head" just a little higher.
Posted By: SteveH

Re: Navigation between Mosquito and VG - 03/22/2018 12:31 AM

First trip to the BVI in 1977. Just as we were going through the tightest part of the passage the engine alarm sounded. We managed to coast through and then sailed the rest of the way to BEYC. Turned out to be a failed impeller in the pickup pump. Never again.
Posted By: maytrix

Re: Navigation between Mosquito and VG - 03/22/2018 01:09 AM

I've been through plenty of times on a cat. I'd never go through on a mono, let a lone one with a 6.5' draft. I'd say it is luck you didn't go aground.

I'd suggest seeing what the charter company says. If they are ok with it, then do it. If not, go around. It really doesn't take that much longer anyway.
Posted By: Kupe

Re: Navigation between Mosquito and VG - 03/22/2018 01:16 AM

Originally Posted by bkaushansky
Heading down for 7th trip shortly. Would like to take the passage between the Mosquito and VG. Anyone with first hand tips? FYI, Helia 44 Cat, draft. 3.8 ft / 1.15 m

Thanks much.
Boris

I assume you are taking about the cut at Anguilla Point, right? We said no and passed on it a few weeks ago in a shoal-draft mono drawing just 4.5 ft. We watched several Cats with likely similar draft go through, but I just wouldn't take the chance. And it would have spared us at least 45 minutes in heavy rain and breaking seas to do it. But there was no scenario in the Anguilla cut with 30 knot easterly winds, even with winches loaded and ready, that an engine failure would have been safe.

My advice- unless you have done it before, go just a little farther NE and then pick up the marked channel into North Sound after you clear Mosquito Rock.
Posted By: warren460

Re: Navigation between Mosquito and VG - 03/22/2018 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Orange_Burst
A lot of charter boats have this red lined, so be sure to check with your charter company. It's not that far to go around, your on vacation, why take the chance?

And it’s not your boat either. If the charter company says no, it’s not worth it.
Posted By: calsail

Re: Navigation between Mosquito and VG - 03/23/2018 08:00 PM

Ive done it maybe 40 times in a big cat. #1 Motor. #2 stay close to the VG side. Very close. As you clear the point on your right steer a bit right and note that your depth reading will go to 2 feet. Hold your breath, cross your finger, pray, whatever, but you will certainly get thru. OR follow someone else.LOL.. Then steer toward Leverick Bay where you certainly have already contacted Nick for a slip for two nights..
Posted By: Calvin

Re: Navigation between Mosquito and VG - 03/25/2018 03:48 PM

If you are making 4 to 6 knots under way, you will only save about 45 minutes of time.
Posted By: Guineaman

Re: Navigation between Mosquito and VG - 03/25/2018 04:11 PM

A prudent mariner ...
Posted By: bonefish

Re: Navigation between Mosquito and VG - 03/25/2018 04:34 PM

From BVI Pirate website.

http://bvipirate.com/AnguillaPassage.html
Posted By: sail445

Re: Navigation between Mosquito and VG - 03/25/2018 06:31 PM

It’s not worth it especially if you’ve got the family aboard.
It could end the vacation.
It’s under an hour to go around so have a cold one and a give a salute to the person who named Mosquito island.
Posted By: MrEZgoin

Re: Navigation between Mosquito and VG - 03/26/2018 01:45 AM

Once was enough. Not worth the stress, IMO
Posted By: Twanger

Re: Navigation between Mosquito and VG - 03/27/2018 08:13 PM

Went through there twice with Capt. Jim (clanks when he walks) aboard Blue Moon.
It requires local knowledge to do right.
It was interesting to watch, but no way would I do it in a charter boat where it's red-lined.
Posted By: jwh445

Re: Navigation between Mosquito and VG - 03/29/2018 03:04 PM

I always consider my charter in the BVI to be a SAILING vacation. I look forward to the time between when the sails go up and we pick up a mooring ball. Relax, enjoy your time on the water.
Posted By: NoelHall

Re: Navigation between Mosquito and VG - 03/29/2018 09:18 PM

I've been through many times with a number of different catamarans. I've always used 'BVI Pirate' as a template .... keeping about 1/3 from Virgin Gorda point (on the right) and 2/3 from Mosquito point (on the left). Immediately passing the two points I head slightly toward the right, in line with Leverick Bay. Leaving North Sound I take the same route, unless headed to Anegada. Yes, it is shallow, although seems to be the route of choice for many charter cats.
Posted By: calsail

Re: Navigation between Mosquito and VG - 03/30/2018 07:32 PM

Some suggest doing it in good light. Not so sure you want to see just how shallow it is..
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline