TravelTalkOnline

WIFI

Posted By: ReelTrouble

WIFI - 03/29/2018 03:34 AM

Just wondering if WIFI is available in the popular anchorages, such as Norman, Cooper, Leverick, Anegada, Scrub, Jost, etc.

Thanks!
Posted By: Kupe

Re: WIFI - 03/29/2018 04:40 AM

Originally Posted by ReelTrouble
Just wondering if WIFI is available in the popular anchorages, such as Norman, Cooper, Leverick, Anegada, Scrub, Jost, etc.

Thanks!

Leverick yes. Very strong near the pool and restaurants...a bit weak near the slips and moorings.

Jost yes in front of Ivan's- get the password from them after buying several Painkillers! wink
Posted By: wizoc

Re: WIFI - 03/29/2018 01:53 PM

Leverick was strong at the restaurant. Norman,Cooper and Great Harbour at Jost was strong using the personal hotspot on a phone.
Posted By: Kupe

Re: WIFI - 03/29/2018 02:36 PM

Almost forgot- White Bay JVD there is a very good chance your phone will be getting a good signal from your US carrier coming off a cell tower at STT. I had a 4 bar signal with LTE data from ATT for the two days we were in White Bay. You won't get this in Great Harbor or Little Harbor, but White Bay is a good bet.

Re: WIFI - 03/31/2018 05:52 AM

Thanks everyone for the great input! Very helpful! Cheers!
Posted By: warren460

Re: WIFI - 03/31/2018 07:38 AM

And you might still be billed for roaming , even if you are an American with a us plan. They still know your location.
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: WIFI - 03/31/2018 12:53 PM

In 20+ years of chartering, we've never been charged a roaming fee when picking up a US tower.

Re: WIFI - 03/31/2018 09:25 PM

I have some friends with a mooring at sopers hole. They received a bill for approximately $6,000 accumulated over a few months. They told their US carrier that we were on a US tower. The carrier told them, you were in the bvi. We’re obligated to charge and share per our agreement......

That’s all I know.
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: WIFI - 03/31/2018 10:37 PM

They weren't picking up a US carrier.

Re: WIFI - 04/01/2018 08:00 AM

I hear you. But they have no reason not to be correct or to lie

Re: WIFI - 04/02/2018 02:40 AM

Im told that we will have a wireless receiver on our catamaran that we are bareboating from BVIYC. We will apparently have our own hot spot so I am assuming that if we are within reach of a tower we will have WIFI available unless this is a satellite connection. Some of our crew need a connection for work related stuff occasionally. I would expect that wherever the local internet users are able to get it, we should too.
Posted By: Freedom21

Re: WIFI - 04/02/2018 12:14 PM

On a sailboat that I was on from BVIYC last year it was equipped with a cellular data hot spot that those onboard connected to via wifi. There was a daily charge for the data. Since there were only two of us on board I just used my cell company roaming services. The islands are well covered by cell service. I would think the free wifi signals from shore would be very limited
Posted By: denverd0n

Re: WIFI - 04/02/2018 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by warren460
I hear you. But they have no reason not to be correct or to lie

My guess would be that the GPS in their smart-phone game them away.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline