TravelTalkOnline

Marina/Caretaker short term in May

Posted By: d_fish

Marina/Caretaker short term in May - 04/05/2018 06:19 PM

My husband and I purchased a leopard 40. Due to time constraints we have had to hire a delivery skipper to move our vessel from Abacos to Tortola.

We need somewhere to have her delivered, preferably a marina within the BVI or possibly St. Thomas and a caretaker for approximatey 7-10 days until we arrive in early may.

I contacted the Moorings but they are short on space. Any marina managers out there or ideas?
Posted By: BaardJ

Re: Marina/Caretaker short term in May - 04/05/2018 06:49 PM

I would try CYOA Yacht Charters at Frenchtown Marina, STT. CaptainJay runs the base and may chime in. It's very close to STT airport so convenient and probably cheaper for your departing delivery crew.

Re: Marina/Caretaker short term in May - 04/05/2018 06:57 PM

Yes I was contemplating CYOA. However 2 people told me not to leave our vessel in STT. They felt that there is too much crime there.

I have read many glowing reports about Captain Jay which is why I mentioned STT as a possibility.

The positive note for us is that STT is easier to get to and it’s easier to provision and/or ship things to our vessel.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Marina/Caretaker short term in May - 04/05/2018 07:06 PM

Contact Brent at " Captain's Compass", Manuel Reef, Tortola.
Posted By: RickG

Re: Marina/Caretaker short term in May - 04/05/2018 07:07 PM

We never had a problem with our boat at Frenchtown marina, where CYOA is.. The gate to the docks is locked at night. It's more secure than Nanny Cay. But, I would totaly use Nanny Cay too. VGYH says they are open too.

Cheers, RickG
Posted By: Knotthead

Re: Marina/Caretaker short term in May - 04/05/2018 08:24 PM

You might try Penn's Landing on Tortolla. Nice spot, well run, and a good manager on site.
Posted By: Brent

Re: Marina/Caretaker short term in May - 04/06/2018 12:28 AM

Can Do!

Re: Marina/Caretaker short term in May - 04/06/2018 11:25 AM

Brent, I’ll email you in the next day or so. Thank you for responding.
Posted By: CaptainJay

Re: Marina/Caretaker short term in May - 04/06/2018 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by d_fish
Yes I was contemplating CYOA. However 2 people told me not to leave our vessel in STT. They felt that there is too much crime there.

I have read many glowing reports about Captain Jay which is why I mentioned STT as a possibility.

The positive note for us is that STT is easier to get to and it’s easier to provision and/or ship things to our vessel.

We would be happy to help you as well. We do not have dock space for a cat right now but we can rent you a mooring. Asfor the crime comment. That is simply ridiculous. I have been a full time resident of St Thomas for ten years. We do not have any more crime than any other Caribbean island and a lot less than most. It is safer on any given day than almost any us city. Crime here and in the BVI's is almost all either a crime of opportunity or it is gang/drug related. . Don't leave your dinghy or other valuables out or easily accessible. Don't walk around at night by your self in a bad part of town Don't try to go in the drug business or hang out with people that are. These same rules would and do apply anyplace on the planet.

Feel free to PM me or email at jay@cyoacharters.com

Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Marina/Caretaker short term in May - 04/06/2018 12:59 PM

The location with Captain Jay would be excellent for you. I am not aware of any crime issues in that area.
George
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline