TravelTalkOnline

BVI Cruising Fee for Private Vessel

Posted By: d_fish

BVI Cruising Fee for Private Vessel - 04/15/2018 03:21 PM

We will be sailing our private vessel into the BVIs early next month.

We plan on staying 2-3 weeks while we prepare our vessel to head south for hurricane season.

My question is: does anyone know what the cost of the cruising permit is? There will be 4 people aboard our vessel.
Posted By: sail445

Re: BVI Cruising Fee for Private Vessel - 04/15/2018 05:02 PM

A private non charter vessel pays just a minimal fee for the boat check in and miscellaneous expences
If you stay in the BVI more then 30 days you'll have to go to C&I and purchase a temporary import permit for about $200.00 which allows you to keep your vessel in the BVI for 1 year
Posted By: onlymedication

Re: BVI Cruising Fee for Private Vessel - 04/16/2018 05:09 PM

http://www.bvimarineguide.com/clearance.html

If you are a charter yacht and taking fee-paying passengers aboard whilst in the BVI, you need to buy a Cruising Permit and a National Parks Mooring Permit. This permit allows you to use any N.P. dive or snorkel mooring buoy in the BVI for your yacht or dinghy (these moorings take yachts up to 60 ft). Yachts visiting the BVI for the first time for the year, will be required to pay an Annual Tonnage fee when clearing Customs. This fee is based on the yacht’s net tonnage. If the vessel is to remain in the BVI for more than one month, there is a fee of $200 to temporarily import the yacht for up to one year.

I couldn't find anything listing the fees you would need to pay, or what the annual tonnage fee is, but looks like you are off the hook on the cruising and parks permits as long as you don't intend to use the parks buoys, at the Dogs or Baths for example. Same for the temporary import fee as long as you don't overstay your intended 3 weeks.
Posted By: d_fish

Re: BVI Cruising Fee for Private Vessel - 04/16/2018 09:53 PM

Thank you for the replies.

Yes unfortunately this trip we are on the run south and cannot spend a lot of time in the BVIs. Our haul out in Grenada is scheduled May 31.

End of hurricane season we hope to sail north and revisit the area for a longer period of time.
Posted By: BaardJ

Re: BVI Cruising Fee for Private Vessel - 04/16/2018 11:32 PM

For a private vessel, you'll pay for the BVI Environmental & Levy that went in effect on Sept 1st, 2017 ($10 per-person). This is the same to all BVI or USVI based charter boats. You'll also pay a C&I service fee that''s usually about $10 clearing in and $5 clearing out.

The BVI National Park permit for a non BVI-based boat is $50/week (up to 4 persons). This is only required if you intend to moor on the national park moorings.

There is no BVI Cruising Tax for crew aboard a private vessel.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline