TravelTalkOnline

Dinghy Size (capacity)

Posted By: jredenbaugh

Dinghy Size (capacity) - 04/29/2018 01:23 PM

We are chartering a 514 PC from Moorings. We have 9 aboard. Will we all fit into the dinghy they supply? 10-12 RIB is what they spec.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Dinghy Size (capacity) - 04/29/2018 01:55 PM

I think almost every dinghy is a 12 foot now at the Moorings. If not have them swap it. The 12 foot will move 9 around fine if your average weights or have a male female mix. I have done a trip with 9 200lb plus guys and it worked. Looked pretty funny however!
Posted By: BaardJ

Re: Dinghy Size (capacity) - 04/29/2018 02:14 PM

I don't know what dinghy brand Moorings supplies, but 11' dinghies are typically rated for 5~6 persons, and 12' dinghies are typically rated for ~6 persons. I can fit 8 full-sized adults into my 12' dinghy for short trips but if there's any I chop I take 2 trips to keep the crew dry.
Posted By: jredenbaugh

Re: Dinghy Size (capacity) - 04/29/2018 02:41 PM

Thanks for all the input.
Posted By: Steve27

Re: Dinghy Size (capacity) - 04/29/2018 03:05 PM

We have taken 7 in a Moorings Dinghy and it can get wet if there is a chop. 9 would be pushing the total limit I would think.
Posted By: sail445

Re: Dinghy Size (capacity) - 04/29/2018 06:30 PM

The ratings don’t really matter in the BVI.
A 12 foot rib can easily hold 9 people in most anchorages.
In the USVI it’s a different ball game, you’d have to got the rule book and also carry life jackets.
Posted By: maytrix

Re: Dinghy Size (capacity) - 04/29/2018 07:43 PM

We've fit 9 in the moorings dinghy's but it will make moving around very slow. For any distance, better to split the group up and make a run back and forth.
Posted By: Twanger

Re: Dinghy Size (capacity) - 05/09/2018 08:30 PM

Please check the dingy rating and stick to it.
While I've never been cited for exceeding a dingy load limit, imagine if someone got hurt in an overloaded dingy and they start asking you (the captain) questions like: had you been drinking? Did you have PFD's for everyone? Did you have emergency equipment (VHF, flares)?
Making two trips at most places is no big deal. Also, if you get a kayak, SUP, or wind-surfer you can tow them with a person or two in them, as well as a load limit in the dingy.
Use good judgement... not too far, too fast, too dark, too rough, etc...
Posted By: 706jim

Re: Dinghy Size (capacity) - 05/10/2018 01:26 AM

My limited experience in the BVI involved fending off an overloaded dinghy in the dark off Jost Van Dyke. Not a single lifejacket or any sort of flashlight. All that said, I would at the very least avoid overloading the dinghy. And an overloaded dinghy is unstable, rides wet and is slow.
Posted By: agrimsrud

Re: Dinghy Size (capacity) - 05/10/2018 01:48 AM

We have had some great laughs watching how many people can fit in a dingy. It's like one of those clown cars from the circus.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Dinghy Size (capacity) - 05/10/2018 03:46 AM

Originally Posted by 706jim
My limited experience in the BVI involved fending off an overloaded dinghy in the dark off Jost Van Dyke. Not a single lifejacket or any sort of flashlight. All that said, I would at the very least avoid overloading the dinghy. And an overloaded dinghy is unstable, rides wet and is slow.

I rarely see a dinghy in the BVI with life jackets onboard. I have also never seen one flip or capsize with people in it so doubt they get unstable. They do get wet!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline