TravelTalkOnline

BRUNO 450 Lagoon Grounding

Posted By: ReelTrouble

BRUNO 450 Lagoon Grounding - 05/05/2018 05:04 AM

I saw a Facebook post today regarding a 2017 450 Lagoon running aground on a reef off of Great Camanoe this weekend. Someone posted that the owner was on board. Pictures showed the entire starboard hull ripped out. Very sad. I can't help but wonder how this happened. Not sure if it was in the "no-go" zone or just in the vicinity. Looked like it was floated with air bags and towed into Nanny Cay I think. Tragic.
Posted By: CaptainJay

Re: BRUNO 450 Lagoon Grounding - 05/05/2018 11:01 AM

NO ONE SHOULD EVER GO BETWEEN CAMANOE AND BEEF ISLAND EVER. This is the single highest marine loss area in the entire BVI. Over and over and over again. Go between Little Camanoe and Great Camanoe. Miss the rock at the top by LIttle Camanoe.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: BRUNO 450 Lagoon Grounding - 05/05/2018 01:49 PM

I see boats do it all the time despite virtually every charter company briefing it as off limits.
G
Posted By: BoatDrinks2

Re: BRUNO 450 Lagoon Grounding - 05/06/2018 12:21 PM

Ugh!! That makes my stomach turn. Here's a link to the area.. Green shaded is NO GO. There was a buoy marking reef/rocks...wonder if it was swept away during the storms. Sorry for this owner.

http://www.bvicruisingguide.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/11/East-Tortola-2-e1353504900796.jpg
Posted By: tjkunes

Re: BRUNO 450 Lagoon Grounding - 05/06/2018 06:46 PM

May we have the facebook link?
Posted By: sail445

Re: BRUNO 450 Lagoon Grounding - 05/06/2018 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by CaptainJay
NO ONE SHOULD EVER GO BETWEEN CAMANOE AND BEEF ISLAND EVER. This is the single highest marine loss area in the entire BVI. Over and over and over again. Go between Little Camanoe and Great Camanoe. Miss the rock at the top by LIttle Camanoe.

You’re right on, it’s even a bit deceiving with a chart, it even over took
Johnson Reef off of St John which used to be the villain for charter boats out of the USVI going to the BVI.
Posted By: NCSailor

Re: BRUNO 450 Lagoon Grounding - 05/06/2018 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by sail445
Originally Posted by CaptainJay

You’re right on, it’s even a bit deceiving with a chart, it even over took
Johnson Reef off of St John which used to be the villain for charter boats out of the USVI going to the BVI.

The first time I sailed from the BVI to STJ 20 years ago Johnson Reef was on my mind the whole way. Chartplotters were rudimentary then so we were going the old fashioned way - paper and binoculars. I can't imagine someone hitting that reef but I know it has happened recently. I believe even by a commercial captain.
Posted By: TackingAg

Re: BRUNO 450 Lagoon Grounding - 05/06/2018 09:57 PM

Looks like Bruno is in the BVIYC fleet. Sorry to hear the news.

http://www.bviyachtcharters.com/yachts/bruno-lagoon-450-f/
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline