TravelTalkOnline

Days of yore....going back to the islands....

Posted By: mainesailor

Days of yore....going back to the islands.... - 10/31/2018 03:24 PM

I've read quite a few bits of advertising over the past year saying things like "come to the BVI and enjoy less crowded anchorages, fewer boats", and the like. I actually hope that there are plenty of boats around this season to support all the businesses and folks that work there. It has been too long since (last trip was in 2013) we were last there but it looks like March 2019 is our next trip! Dreamin' every day about the trip.

A lot has changed from what I can see but much remains the same, the people and the beautiful water and land. My wife and I are traveling by ourselves this trip, we've chartered a 37' mono with Conch, Has any body chartered with Conch recently? We chartered with Pro Valor in the past and we were always pleased with the personal touch that Jim and Cecilia and their team gave us.

I think the first time I went to the BVI was 1983 or so. I scanned some old slides (remember those) from some earlier times......enjoy. Things have certainly changed since those days. I posted some of these years ago on the old board, sorry to those that have been around a while..... sorry

Who can identify the locations in these old pics.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Posted By: Bakoguy

Re: Days of yore....going back to the islands.... - 10/31/2018 04:26 PM

We completed our 7th charter with Conch in June. Boats are a little older but they are in great shape and the service is always top notch. They have always taken good care of us.

Allen
Posted By: Kmon

Re: Days of yore....going back to the islands.... - 10/31/2018 11:58 PM

# 5 looks like the Bitter End restaurant
Posted By: sunshine44

Re: Days of yore....going back to the islands.... - 11/01/2018 01:29 AM

#2 White Bay
Posted By: Ontheboat

Re: Days of yore....going back to the islands.... - 11/01/2018 01:34 AM

I've gotta play!

#1 Marina Cay
#2 Cane Garden Bay
#3 Saba Rock
#4 White Bay
#5 Bitter End

Close?
Posted By: sunshine44

Re: Days of yore....going back to the islands.... - 11/01/2018 01:50 AM

#2 White Bay
Posted By: SteveH

Re: Days of yore....going back to the islands.... - 11/01/2018 09:44 AM

#4 Deadman’s Bay Peter Island
#5 Bitter End
Posted By: Orange_Burst

Re: Days of yore....going back to the islands.... - 11/01/2018 12:04 PM

Is #2 Great Harbor, JVD?

Re: Days of yore....going back to the islands.... - 11/01/2018 04:07 PM

Here is how I remember the pictures, my memory isn't as clear as it used to be, so another good reason to go back!

#1- Saba Rock
#2- Great Harbor- This one is open to debate, but I'm going with Colleen.
#3- Marina Cay
#4-Deadmans Bay
#5- Bitter End looking at Prickly Pear. I had a second opinion that it might be Drakes because for some reason I remember the stone wall in front of the beach and patio dining area, though I
don't recall seeing that many small boats moored there.

Someone said #2 was White Bay, during all of our early trips I never remember White Bay (JVD) as being on the list of possible anchorages.
Posted By: NotquiteCapnRon

Re: Days of yore....going back to the islands.... - 11/01/2018 04:43 PM

#2 - When you posted these years ago, I found a photo I took in the late 90's...coincidentally from nearly the same position in Great Harbor and displaying the same geography in the background. I'm confident it's Great Harbor, JVD.
Posted By: Orange_Burst

Re: Days of yore....going back to the islands.... - 11/01/2018 05:17 PM

Number 5 reminds me of the stone wall that is around the pool at Leverick, but I doubt that was there back then.

Re: Days of yore....going back to the islands.... - 11/01/2018 05:37 PM

Originally Posted by NotquiteCapnRon
#2 - When you posted these years ago, I found a photo I took in the late 90's...coincidentally from nearly the same position in Great Harbor and displaying the same geography in the background. I'm confident it's Great Harbor, JVD.

Thanks Ron, yes I (vaguely) remember your comment from back then.....

Nat

I found this old picture of Drakes Anchorage on line.....I suspect that there was a local mason that made the wall at BEYC as well as this one at Drakes...
[Linked Image]
Posted By: NotquiteCapnRon

Re: Days of yore....going back to the islands.... - 11/01/2018 07:20 PM

In 15 trips or so, I have never been to Deadmans bay on Peter. I'm inspired by that photo. Hope it still resembles the photo. Have a charter this month and again in Feb19...I think we need to get to Deadmans on one of those trips.

Thanks for the photos MaineSailor. Fun stuff.
Posted By: SoggyDollarScott

Re: Days of yore....going back to the islands.... - 11/05/2018 04:32 AM

Post more pics......, that was fun !!

Re: Days of yore....going back to the islands.... - 11/05/2018 04:38 PM

Here are a couple more....
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline