TravelTalkOnline

In search for advices!

Posted By: Melanie B

In search for advices! - 11/25/2018 12:20 PM

Hello everyone!

I am Canadian, located in Quebec City and I will move to BVI in a few weeks. I will be working on Tortola. I am not moving for a job in finance so I have to plan my move all by myself. My boss is helping me as much as he can but he's really busy right now.

I encounter some problems: finding long term apartment rentals from Canada (there is not much availability), wil I move my car or not (how much will it cost in duty)???

Can you give me some hints?

Thank you so much!
Posted By: gordaguy2

Re: In search for advices! - 11/25/2018 04:03 PM

Hi Melanie - contact smiths gore at http://www.smithsgore.com - they may be able to assist - cheers Brian
Posted By: Manpot

Re: In search for advices! - 11/25/2018 04:57 PM

For a long term rental try Uschi at "Coconut Point"..very nice reasonable apartments and a great location. She only does long term. As for your car..depends on what it is and why you think its worth shipping. I brought my car from California..$800 across to Fla, $1,500 shipping on Tropical and then fees and licensing. I figure twelve years ago it cost me about $3,500..but I had and still have a car I wanted there. Also know they value the car and add the cost of shipping tpo decide its true value that you pay duty on.There are some amazing deals right now on cars being shipped to the BVI's and all of the Caribbean by Japanese companies . After 7 years in Japan, I believe, it becomes hard to get cars registered and they are shipping them out and they are right hand drive..and price includes delivery! Friends bought a perfect condition 4 wheel drive Subaru for about $5,000. Do a Google search..hope this all helps.

Re: In search for advices! - 11/26/2018 01:08 PM

Wow! Thank you Manpot for your answer! Il will look at the Coconut Point rentals! Do you have an E-mail adress or Web Site so I can contact them.?For the car, it is not that fancy. I have a 2015 Honda CRV AWD.
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: In search for advices! - 11/26/2018 01:30 PM

Your car would be great in the BVI. The two questions I would have are 1) how long will it take to get there 2) how much duty will they charge you. I, too, have heard about the Japanese import thing, which our neighbors are doing. Haven't heard yet how it worked. We bought our car new at Burke's Garage, but that was 45 years ago. We were planning to take it in for its 5,000 mile check-up, but the original receipt disappeared in Irma.

Follow up with Uschi on the rental. Since the hurricanes, apartments have become scarce and, therefore, expensive. Many properties were badly damaged, and building owners had neither insurance nor adequate funds to make timely repairs.

Feel free to ask questions. Have you looked at BVI Newbie? We will be down next week for the winter.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: In search for advices! - 11/26/2018 04:12 PM

Dont have e mail for Uschi but she used to manage "Sebastian's" and her daughter works there so they my be able to help if you cant find it. As for the car..as said it is the perfect car for the islands and, if you drive if down to Florida you could save $$$$ in the shipping. Tropical is very easy to deal with and you dont pay til you pick up the car on Tortola. I believe Crowley operates out of New Jersey which is closer for you but I have not used them
Posted By: RickinAtlanta

Re: In search for advices! - 11/26/2018 04:21 PM

I just sent Uschi a private message telling her about your search for a long term rental and about Coconut Point. Hopefully she'll see my message and respond to you on this thread.
Posted By: bagsarepacked

Re: In search for advices! - 11/26/2018 05:29 PM

I am helping someone ship something from Canada to Tortola. Tropical has a location near Toronto and also Halifax. Diane @ 514-605-0982 was very helpful.

Re: In search for advices! - 11/26/2018 07:49 PM

YOU ARE THE BEST!!!! Can't believe having so much answers!!!!!!! Thank you so much you are really helpfull! I just talked to my boss, I will be on Tortola in about 3 weeks. So I really need to find an apartment.
Posted By: mainesailor

Re: In search for advices! - 11/26/2018 08:19 PM

There is a recent post on the BVI Community Board on Facebook showing a room in a home......rather pricey but I'm not up on the prices on the island....

'Spare
$1,750 - Tortola

Looking for a housemate to share beautifully decorated stand alone home 10mins from town $1750 per month. Ideal for single professional.'
Spare
$1,750
Tortola

Re: In search for advices! - 11/26/2018 08:28 PM

Thank you mainesailor, but sharing is not a good idea... My husband will join me as soon has he can...

Re: In search for advices! - 11/26/2018 08:30 PM

bagsarepacked: I called Diane And it was really helpfull! I recommand her services!!! Good talk with her!
Posted By: RickinAtlanta

Re: In search for advices! - 12/05/2018 08:43 PM

I just saw that Uschi is on an Asian Cruise so likely won't see this thread for awhile.
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: In search for advices! - 12/08/2018 02:31 PM

Update: Have seen the Japanese import and it’s a lovely Daihatsu in immaculate shape. Total cost was $3K, and the new owner is thrilled.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline