TravelTalkOnline

Southern Cross

Posted By: ggffrr11

Southern Cross - 01/26/2019 03:29 PM

Will the Southern Cross be viewable during the next 2 wks from BVI? Are there any stellar navigation aids for id’ing (other than the cross itself)?
Posted By: warren460

Re: Southern Cross - 01/26/2019 04:05 PM

There are some apps for the iPad that will identify these things for you.

Android might have them as well.
Posted By: Kmon

Re: Southern Cross - 01/26/2019 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by ggffrr11
Will the Southern Cross be viewable during the next 2 wks from BVI? Are there any stellar navigation aids for id’ing (other than the cross itself)?

It should be visible around 5 AM. The schedule goes approximately like this: Late Dec - 7AM, Late Jan - 5 AM, Late Feb - 2 AM, Late Mar - midnight, Late Apr - 11 PM
Late May - 9 PM, Late June - 7 PM. The rest of the year, it's there, but not viewable because the sun is up.
Posted By: Breeze

Re: Southern Cross - 01/26/2019 07:44 PM

It will be tipped to the right just above the southern horizon, and I do mean just above. Make sure you are viewing from somewhere that you have an unobstructed southern view all the way to the horizon. The Southern Cross will be so low in the sky, you would have a hard time mistaking it for anything else. The arc of visibility at this time of year is just a couple of hours before it sets again ( yep, I did mention how low in the sky it would be). It will look a lot like this :

https://www.constellation-guide.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Southern-Cross-location.jpg
Posted By: captdennyj

Re: Southern Cross - 01/28/2019 12:26 AM

Southern cross memories....

We were anchored in the Whitsunday Islands, Australia . After dinner, the bitting flies had departed, the bobbing cockatoos flew off, we snugged into the cockpit, cuddled with Erica, a Bundy Rum in hand, and listening to Guardians of the Reef.
scanning that amazing night sky, and viewing the famous southern cross. Whew !

We will have to check on seeing the Southern Cross in the BVI in may. We had no clue. Maybe we still don't . Minus my glasses, and plus quaffing some dark rum, I can pretend to see anything. And yes, David Hudson's Guardian of the Reef CD.
goes with us , where ever we travel, as well as here at home. Perfect sunset music for sailors.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Southern Cross - 01/28/2019 01:38 PM

Heading south to Bequia from the BVI's aboard " Jeannius" we saw the Southern Cross clearly..an amazing experience all around.
Posted By: Orange_Burst

Re: Southern Cross - 01/28/2019 02:46 PM

We are generally down in April and we can see it after 11:00 in the southern sky. If there are clear skies we can see it when we are at Jost Van Dyke.
Posted By: casailor53

Re: Southern Cross - 01/28/2019 03:27 PM

also, beware the "false cross"
Posted By: sail445

Re: Southern Cross - 01/28/2019 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by casailor53
also, beware the "false cross"

Yes, the false cross is really bright, I wonder how many ancient mariners mistook it.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline