TravelTalkOnline

BVI Diving post-Irma

Posted By: catman

BVI Diving post-Irma - 01/30/2019 04:53 PM

Does anyone have current intel on the status of the usual BVI dive sites post-Irma?
Posted By: warren460

Re: BVI Diving post-Irma - 01/31/2019 09:39 AM

Personal opinion

Kodiak queen is not in good shape

Fish populations doing very well all over

Coral challenged in places
Posted By: catman

Re: BVI Diving post-Irma - 01/31/2019 03:27 PM

Thanks Warren. I assume it will be some time for the coral to recover. Any feedback on the Rhone? I understand that the bow section has collapsed but otherwise it is still a highlight.
Posted By: gordaguy2

Re: BVI Diving post-Irma - 01/31/2019 04:28 PM

Our friends were diving in November and reported great diving at the wall, the dogs and the Rhone. Lots of coral and great amounts of aquatic life
Posted By: krafty81

Re: BVI Diving post-Irma - 02/04/2019 04:39 AM

Rhone is still the same and great!
Posted By: NoelHall

Re: BVI Diving post-Irma - 02/04/2019 06:05 PM

The center cross-section of the Rhone's bow has somewhat collapsed, making the 'swim through' more difficult. I had heard the swim though no longer existed, although when there in December I was able to make it through. I realize why it is discouraged, and could be unstable. The exit near the mast was a little small, but not tiny. I'm not suggesting it. The nice coral topside surface of the Rhone is damaged, not much color as before. The nice surprise is there are two reef sharks that are constantly circling the bow, one small and the other medium size. They are both curious and will likely follow you closely …. kinda cool. I didn't make it up to the stern area. Overall, still a great dive.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline