TravelTalkOnline

Roadtown Fast Ferry suspends service to repair the Ferry

Posted By: tpcook

Roadtown Fast Ferry suspends service to repair the Ferry - 03/28/2019 02:13 AM

I have seen a post that the Roadtown Fast Ferry has discontinued service to/from STT indefinitely. That is all I know. Not good!!

Re: Roadtown Fast Ferry suspends service to repair the Ferry - 03/28/2019 02:39 AM

It may have something to do with ESTA where folks from the BVI MUST get permission to go to STT minimum of 72 hours before travel.
Posted By: cajunscuba

Re: Roadtown Fast Ferry suspends service to repair the Ferry - 03/28/2019 11:16 AM

Where was this info posted?

Edit: Never mind. I see it here. https://www.bestofbvi.com/info/bviferry_tortola_sttCA.htm
I sure hope this gets resolved by June. Our flight lands in STT at 3:05 on a sunday so I don't think we'd make the 3:30 ferry.
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Roadtown Fast Ferry suspends service to repair the Ferry - 03/28/2019 11:50 AM

Chucky Hodge just posted on FB. They are waiting for parts from the mainland to fix a mechanical issue. Ilon time notwithstanding, it should be fixed by June, I would think.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Roadtown Fast Ferry suspends service to repair the Ferry - 03/28/2019 12:15 PM

Terrific..leaving Sunday am for STT..hoping the others are picking up the slack.I've been trying to get an" accurate" ( yeah right) idea of morning ferries on Sunday but plan to get there by 8.30 and get the first one going..CA or Red Hook. Open to any info folks!

Re: Roadtown Fast Ferry suspends service to repair the Ferry - 03/28/2019 12:15 PM

Is Roadtown Fast Ferry using the new cats he bought for trips to/from STT?
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Roadtown Fast Ferry suspends service to repair the Ferry - 03/28/2019 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Manpot
Terrific..leaving Sunday am for STT..hoping the others are picking up the slack.I've been trying to get an" accurate" ( yeah right) idea of morning ferries on Sunday but plan to get there by 8.30 and get the first one going..CA or Red Hook. Open to any info folks!

On Tuesday it was already out of service and they delayed the 9:30 Native Son boat to 10:30 and all the RTFF passengers also go on that boat.
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Roadtown Fast Ferry suspends service to repair the Ferry - 03/28/2019 04:31 PM

Malcolm, you are missing the Bomba Charger, I can tell.

Re: Roadtown Fast Ferry suspends service to repair the Ferry - 03/28/2019 04:55 PM

Never thought I would..but "Oh Yeah"!
Posted By: Moglet

Re: Roadtown Fast Ferry suspends service to repair the Ferry - 03/28/2019 06:59 PM

I've just received a phone call to say that "service has been restored" on Road Town Fast Ferry.

Re: Roadtown Fast Ferry suspends service to repair the Ferry - 03/28/2019 07:29 PM

Trudi..as always..thanks and nice job.

Re: Roadtown Fast Ferry suspends service to repair the Ferry - 03/28/2019 11:21 PM

Running, great. Does anyone know what happened to the new cats he received? Are they doing the STT run?
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Roadtown Fast Ferry suspends service to repair the Ferry - 03/29/2019 01:15 AM

Originally Posted by tpcook
Running, great. Does anyone know what happened to the new cats he received? Are they doing the STT run?

I have not seen them doing the STT run yet.
Posted By: GlennA

Re: Roadtown Fast Ferry suspends service to repair the Ferry - 03/29/2019 09:30 AM

As I understand it the new cats still have several months before they can make the STT run. They are not built in the US so the Jones act requires that they be a certain age before they can carry passengers between a US and foreign ports.
Posted By: Carol_Hill

Re: Roadtown Fast Ferry suspends service to repair the Ferry - 03/29/2019 01:56 PM

Talk about a law that should be repealed, the Jones Act!!! duh
Posted By: cwoody

Re: Roadtown Fast Ferry suspends service to repair the Ferry - 03/29/2019 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by GlennA
carry passengers between a US and foreign ports.

I thought Jones act only applied to foreign build vessel operation between US ports.
Like a foreign build vessel can not go direct from California to Hawaii w/o a stop at a foreign port in between.
Posted By: Fran

Re: Roadtown Fast Ferry suspends service to repair the Ferry - 03/29/2019 04:32 PM

I believe the USVI were exempted from the Jones Act in the 30's.
Posted By: cwoody

Re: Roadtown Fast Ferry suspends service to repair the Ferry - 03/29/2019 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by Fran
I believe the USVI were exempted from the Jones Act in the 30's.

You are correct Fran

Thanks to the Jones Act Exemption, the USVI is exempt from the Jones Act, a cabotage law which requires freight moving between U.S. ports to be carried on U.S. flag vessels.
Freight between U.S. ports (including Puerto Rico) and the USVI may also be carried on foreign flag vessels.

So what's the Fast Ferry issue?
Posted By: woodsnwine

Re: Roadtown Fast Ferry suspends service to repair the Ferry - 03/29/2019 06:43 PM

RTFF posted the following which I found on the British Virgin Islands facebook feed....

"Please Note:
"Due to the diligent work of our mechanical team, Road Town Fast Ferry will resume normal services to STT tomorrow. Thanks for your cooperation and we apologize once again for any inconvenience caused."
RTFF"
Posted By: jphart

Re: Roadtown Fast Ferry suspends service to repair the Ferry - 03/30/2019 02:28 AM

Jones Act refers to FREIGHT - not passengers.

Passenger Vessel Services Act refers to Passengers.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/23/~/the-jones-act-%26-the-passenger-vessel-services-act
Posted By: Fran

Re: Roadtown Fast Ferry suspends service to repair the Ferry - 03/30/2019 11:43 AM

Originally Posted by jphart
Jones Act refers to FREIGHT - not passengers.

Passenger Vessel Services Act refers to Passengers.

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/23/~/the-jones-act-%26-the-passenger-vessel-services-act

True that, but since the Jones Act was being discussed I replied to that discussion.
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline