TravelTalkOnline

Trellis Bay Ferry Dock location

Posted By: SonOfTheSea

Trellis Bay Ferry Dock location - 04/30/2019 06:23 PM

Ok here’s an easy one. The Scrub Island ferry picks up/drops off at the Trellis Bay Ferry dock. Nobody in our group has been to this location and Google Earth shows several docks. We are walking to the dock from the airport when we arrive and I’m trying to make sure those arriving separately from the main group know exactly where to go. I’ve attached an image (if I did it right), which is the appropriate dock? Me thinks it’s #2...

Attached picture 301C20C8-40A2-467C-BBDB-D1A916323491.jpeg
Posted By: dayhiker

Re: Trellis Bay Ferry Dock location - 04/30/2019 06:25 PM

My recollection is that there is a big sign on the dock that says something like, "For exclusive use of Scrub Island Guests..."
Posted By: dayhiker

Re: Trellis Bay Ferry Dock location - 04/30/2019 06:26 PM

PS, I think it's the one labeled 3.
Posted By: gordaguy2

Re: Trellis Bay Ferry Dock location - 04/30/2019 08:33 PM

Number one is where the ferry from VG comes in - I don't think it matters re 2 & 3 as they are so close together - grab some beers and wait it out until someone says "which one of you guys is going to Scrub"
Posted By: warren460

Re: Trellis Bay Ferry Dock location - 05/01/2019 12:08 AM

That picture is out of date. Many of those docks are gone. There was a floaty dock there in February.
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Trellis Bay Ferry Dock location - 05/01/2019 12:24 AM

As of last month it was No. 1, the concrete government dock.
Posted By: ohstate

Re: Trellis Bay Ferry Dock location - 05/01/2019 12:50 AM

Originally Posted by RatmansWife
As of last month it was No. 1, the concrete government dock.

Concur. Speedys had a truck that would take you over if you were taking Speedys. Not that anyone checked. Perhaps Scrub Island has land transport to the ferry dock. In any event, we had a fair amount of time to kill before then next ferry that we spent having some lovely cocktails at Trellis. Easy walk. Plus we could keep an eye on the captain who was chatting with the locals before it was time to board.

Re: Trellis Bay Ferry Dock location - 05/01/2019 02:01 AM

Thanks for the info, I guess I didn’t consider the docks may be gone or different post Irma. I believe Scrub Island resort guests have complimentary transport to the ferry, but DYC charterers can arrange it with DYC for a $9/person fee or just take any other taxi. Seems a pretty high price for a 2 minute car ride, so we are walking!
Posted By: NoelHall

Re: Trellis Bay Ferry Dock location - 05/01/2019 02:54 AM

From what I remember, and it can't be much different. No need for taxi, it is a short walk, although was some gravel and pot holes along the way if you are dragging luggage. Don't worry about it at all, just make a hard left after exiting the airport and bare left at the end of the walkway and wind through the parking and gravel toward the bay …. a 100 yards (+/-). The rest is pretty obvious …. so just grab a beer or drink and hang out until the Scrub ferry arrives. You can ask someone where the ferry will pick-up, although it will be right in front of you. Y'all have fun!
Posted By: DesertWinds

Re: Trellis Bay Ferry Dock location - 05/02/2019 07:20 PM

I'm not very familiar with Trellis Bay pre- or post-Irma. Would we be able to tie-up our DYC cat for 10 minutes at one of the docks? We need to pick up our provisioning crew coming from RiteWay and a last straggler coming from the airport.
We would stand off if there were any inbound ferries. Thanks.
Posted By: sail445

Re: Trellis Bay Ferry Dock location - 05/02/2019 07:26 PM

The docks are generally for the ferries and the ferry Captains sometimes have a hissy fit even if a dinghy is tied up to it
You’re better off anchoring and picking up your guest and supplies with your dinghy.
Posted By: MidlandGasman

Re: Trellis Bay Ferry Dock location - 05/02/2019 08:14 PM

SonoftheSea... you will be there 4May-11May?

Re: Trellis Bay Ferry Dock location - 05/02/2019 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by MidlandGasman

Yep! Our planned itinerary, provided no surprises or changes:

Sunday: checkout, Sail to Great Harbour Peter Island
Monday: Baths in the morning, then to Leverick for the remainder of the day
Tuesday: Anegada
Wednesday: JVD Diamond Cay
Thursday: JVD White Bay and Great Harbour
Friday: Morning @ Norman then hopefully to Cooper in time for a mooring ball, backup plan is Marina Cay or back to the Scrub dock if not
Posted By: warren460

Re: Trellis Bay Ferry Dock location - 05/03/2019 01:43 AM

I don't think that you would tie off. Pick up a mooring and motor in. Had anyone tied up at the dock.
Posted By: ski2play

Re: Trellis Bay Ferry Dock location - 05/03/2019 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by MidlandGasman

We are land based on the East End of Jost during that time. See you both when you are passing by. wave
Posted By: bailau

Re: Trellis Bay Ferry Dock location - 05/03/2019 10:56 AM

Ski2Play-

Have a great 60th...

DesertWinds-

You dont want to dock there and I have never seen anybody do it. We moored twice and 1 time I just idled out of the way and sent the dinghy in. That channel and dock is like a runway with a lot of boats coming in and out to the dock. We sent the dinghy with cocktails and they met the group as they walked out the doors at the airport...that is a really cool way to start the trip especially without the taxi drive to base but somehow I always end up on the boat side of it...:)
Posted By: DesertWinds

Re: Trellis Bay Ferry Dock location - 05/09/2019 01:55 AM

bailau,
Thanks for the input. That's what I was kind of thinking. Hopefully we can do it with just one dinghy run. Can't wait to get out of there and raise the sails!

Re: Trellis Bay Ferry Dock location - 05/09/2019 10:56 AM

Update: now that my group and I are currently in the BVI I can answer my own question. The Scrub Island Ferry Dock is located at the #1 spot on the image from the original post. Hope this helps anyone wondering. Currently having a great time this week, Jost is up today!
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline