TravelTalkOnline

Palm's Delight's Ginger Chicken

Posted By: Uschi

Palm's Delight's Ginger Chicken - 06/12/2019 05:34 PM

I know it is a long shot. Years ago somebody posted the recipe for Palm's Delight Ginger Chicken and it was really good. Palm's Delight is closed now and De Coal Pot it is there instead. I would really love to make the Ginger Chicken the way Iona used to make it. Does anybody still have the recipe. Thanks in advance.
Posted By: Uschi

Re: Palm's Delight's Ginger Chicken - 06/12/2019 05:39 PM

Found it on BVIPirate - thank's Walker!
Posted By: GlennA

Re: Palm's Delight's Ginger Chicken - 06/13/2019 01:08 AM

I have been using that recipe but there is something different. Taste is the same but the sauce doesn't seem to thicken like Iona's. Mine is closer to De Coal Pot.

Which reminds me to take a chicken brest out of the freezer for tomorrow night! smile
Posted By: Breeze

Re: Palm's Delight's Ginger Chicken - 06/13/2019 05:40 AM

If one doesn't reduce the Ginger Wine enough, the sauce won't thicken as desired. Same phenomenon as when creating an Alfredo-- you can't reduce cream by boiling, so don't even try. Deglaze and hold off on the cream until the pan jus is nearly syrup. Use full fat cream AKA Whipping Cream at the very least acceptable, and Heavy Cream as Best, and be sparing on the amount of cream product you use.

Object of the lesson is-- you cannot reduce cream. Only introduce cream when you have a thick fond in the pan and only introduce enough cream to keep a pleasing " robing" texture ( the sauce coats a spoon and the mouth texture is substantial). More sauce is not going to be better sauce.

Big hint is--on a boat stove or even in a rental unit kitchen ashore, your BTU per gas burner is going to be a fraction of what a restaurant kitchen stove will offer. No recipe can hold your hand through this learning process, just like no recipe can know the weight of those chicken breasts, the moisture or fat content.

THAT is why Iona could knock your socks off-- she was way beyond any recipe and relying on technique, informed by watching and experience.

The good news in this discussion is that most folks will be more than happy to eat the lesson results.
Posted By: GlennA

Re: Palm's Delight's Ginger Chicken - 06/13/2019 11:46 AM

Now that makes sense! I have been reducing the wine by about 2/3 but not down to a syrup. Going to try that tonight!
Posted By: calsail

Re: Palm's Delight's Ginger Chicken - 06/14/2019 01:39 AM

Back in the early '80s the BVI Cruising Guide put you into Fort Burt Marina by telling you to head toward the customs dock and when the Fort Burt Hotel was abeam and you felt comfortable turning to the port to clear Road Reef---GO A LITTLE FARTHER.. Same for the Ginger Chicken sauce. When you feel that you have reduced the ginger wine enough--reduce little more-- before adding the cream. I made it a few weeks ago for a big dinner group and it was PERFECT. Even my wife had to admit that it was just like Iona"s. I won.
Posted By: jagmansr

Re: Palm's Delight's Ginger Chicken - 06/14/2019 02:07 AM

Ok, so what’s the whole recipe ? I want to try this
Posted By: RickinAtlanta

Re: Palm's Delight's Ginger Chicken - 06/14/2019 02:36 PM

Originally Posted by calsail
Back in the early '80s the BVI Cruising Guide put you into Fort Burt Marina by telling you to head toward the customs dock and when the Fort Burt Hotel was abeam and you felt comfortable turning to the port to clear Road Reef---GO A LITTLE FARTHER.. Same for the Ginger Chicken sauce. When you feel that you have reduced the ginger wine enough--reduce little more-- before adding the cream. I made it a few weeks ago for a big dinner group and it was PERFECT. Even my wife had to admit that it was just like Iona"s. I won.

About how long to reduce to a syrup consistency? Years ago I went back into the little kitchen to watch the ladies cook and they told me how to make the Gingerwine but I've never gotten that good.
Posted By: JasonHelmbrecht

Re: Palm's Delight's Ginger Chicken - 06/14/2019 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by jagmansr
Ok, so what’s the whole recipe ? I want to try this

Full recipe here.
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Palm's Delight's Ginger Chicken - 06/14/2019 05:01 PM

That is the original recipe created by Warren McKenna at " Skyworld" where Iona was the chef. Warren sold "Skyworld" and Iona opened " Palm's Delight" and, with Warren and wife Elizabeth's blessing, brought the Ginger Wine Chicken with her..there it became a huge hit. It is still on special some nights at "De Coal Pot" and is pretty close. On a trip to Sonoma Walker created the dish for all of us and it was perfect.
Posted By: tradewinds

Re: Palm's Delight's Ginger Chicken - 06/14/2019 05:25 PM

I had it last week at D' Coal Pot and it was excellent. As Mal said, it's not usually on the menu but if you ask, they usually can make it for you.
Posted By: Breeze

Re: Palm's Delight's Ginger Chicken - 06/15/2019 02:37 PM

About how long to reduce to a syrup consistency?

Truly, it takes as long as it takes.

How long does it take to sail to Anegada?

Re: Palm's Delight's Ginger Chicken - 06/15/2019 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Breeze

About how long to reduce to a syrup consistency?

Truly, it takes as long as it takes.

How long does it take to sail to Anegada?

The key word is ABOUT. Thanks for your insight.
Posted By: Ottoman

Re: Palm's Delight's Ginger Chicken - 06/17/2019 01:07 PM

Recipe sounds great. Question is: What are some sides that work well with this?
Posted By: Manpot

Re: Palm's Delight's Ginger Chicken - 06/17/2019 02:54 PM

Mashed potatoes or rice and fried plantain are the usual sides..

Re: Palm's Delight's Ginger Chicken - 06/17/2019 02:57 PM

Originally Posted by Ottoman
Recipe sounds great. Question is: What are some sides that work well with this?

Making it tonight and will sear veggies, mushrooms/zucchini squash/tomatoes, in olive oil & cast iron skillet.
Posted By: Ottoman

Re: Palm's Delight's Ginger Chicken - 06/17/2019 04:18 PM

Excellent suggestions. Thank you.
Posted By: Twells

Re: Palm's Delight's Ginger Chicken - 07/01/2019 10:00 PM

I have tried to make it back here in Texas, just not the same. Sad to hear they aren't coming back.
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Palm's Delight's Ginger Chicken - 07/02/2019 12:05 AM

We can’t find Stones Green Ginger wine anywhere in Charlotte. Suggestions?
Posted By: Kmon

Re: Palm's Delight's Ginger Chicken - 07/02/2019 12:12 AM

Total Wine has it

Re: Palm's Delight's Ginger Chicken - 07/02/2019 02:44 AM

Total Wine also ships to NC

https://www.totalwine.com/customer-service/shipping
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline