TravelTalkOnline

Road Town ferry question

Posted By: TreetopFlyer

Road Town ferry question - 06/24/2019 02:41 AM

Moored at Cooper this evening. We will be taking 2 passengers to Road Town in the morning to catch a 10:00 ferry.

What’s the best way to get them there, or at least close to the ferry dock?

Is there a dingy dock near the ferry? Moor outside Wickams Cay, dingy to the Moorings base and have them take a cab?

Thanks for any info!

Tom
Posted By: sail445

Re: Road Town ferry question - 06/24/2019 08:29 AM

If you have enough crew you might want to motor into Road Harbor and launch the dinghy and take them to Village Cay marina which is a 3 minute walk to the ferry dock, this way you won’t have to anchor.
Posted By: GlennA

Re: Road Town ferry question - 06/24/2019 10:23 AM

Might be a bit of a climb but are there any rules against bringing a dinghy in to the domestic side of the ferry terminal?
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Road Town ferry question - 06/24/2019 11:56 AM

The 10:00 Ferry has been canceling often. Call the morning you are going to insure it is operating.
Posted By: DanS

Re: Road Town ferry question - 06/25/2019 03:24 AM

The rate sheet for Village Cay Marina is here: http://villagecaybvi.com/marina-rate-sheet/

It says "Vessels 0-59 feet $10.00 for 3 hours or less and Vessels 60 feet and up $20.00 for 3 hours or less"

You could dock and have your passengers debark there.

Dan cheers
Posted By: tpcook

Re: Road Town ferry question - 06/25/2019 01:16 PM

The seaweed is very bad where you would bring a dinghy in. Have done it but would not longer do it

Re: Road Town ferry question - 06/25/2019 01:18 PM

Is this roadtown fast ferry? Is another ferry going at 10 AM?
Posted By: GeorgeC1

Re: Road Town ferry question - 06/25/2019 01:28 PM

The 10 is the Roadtown fast ferry. Someone stated they have issues with certification of one of their boats in the USVI. Can’t confirm that but when they canceled our 10AM one of their new boats showed up doing BVI only legs.

Re: Road Town ferry question - 06/25/2019 01:40 PM

You wan't believe this but I was told they cant get the new ferries approved until they are used. Something with USA certification.. i.e. new boat can't get approval but used can. Sounds stupid to me but that,s politics.
Posted By: RatmansWife

Re: Road Town ferry question - 06/25/2019 01:41 PM

Won’t help the OP, but will remind others that ferry schedules get iffier as we head into summer and less traffic.
Posted By: GlennA

Re: Road Town ferry question - 06/25/2019 02:59 PM

That seems to be true tho I cannt find the relevent code. STT to BVI is not covered by the Jones act because that law only pertains to activities between US ports. RTFF's new boats were built in Austrailia so they cannot be used in US trade until they reach a certain age. It may be some USCG or Customs regulation.
Posted By: SoakInSaltwater

Re: Road Town ferry question - 06/25/2019 03:15 PM

Perfect logic. Can't get a new boat approved until it's used. Can't use a new boat until it's approved
© 2024 TravelTalkOnline